Enter to Win: Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KBR

Audiophyte
Just In Time Contest

1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?
Amp/Receiver- Marantz 5003, Black/ Aluminum
Speakers- JBL Control3 (5ea), Black
Sub(s)- Rocket ULW-10 (active), Light Maple w/ Black Grill
Sources- Sony BDP S360, Black; HTPC, Black/ Aluminum; Networked TV
AV furniture- Ikea, on casters
Other- Sony 52EX701, Black/ Aluminum; Belden 5000UP spk cable, Belden 1695 w/ Canare for LFE and Gefen HDMIs.

2) What would you change in your home theater system? I will upgrade my Sony BDP to an Oppo.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers, of course! Netflix currently pushes stereo through the AVR and the JBL Control3's don't give me the full range that I want with this source.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? This is a 6; I prefer wood tones compared to just basic black and having all speakers match just makes it look more aestetically pleasing to me; If the sub I wanted didn't match then I would try to hide it.

I've been looking at Amperion and Axiom the past couple of weeks and was ready to pull the trigger!

D

darknet

Audiophyte
1) What are your home theater system components, including manufacturers and finishes / colors?

Amp/Receiver --- Denon AVR-1908 (Black)
Speakers --- EMPTek E55Ti front, E5Ci Center, E5Bi surround (Black)
Sub(s) --- None
Sources --- PS3 Slim (black), Toshiba XA2 (Black), HTPC (Black)
AV furniture --- Z-Line Vitoria 55-inch TV stand (black)
Other --- Panasonic TC-P54G25 TV (black)

2) What would you change in your home theater system?

--- get a smaller HTPC case

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system?

--- Would like to add subwoofer

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

---10 because I like all my components black

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
a)denon 3802 / black
b)jbl s312ii, s36ii, s center ii / black
c)2 x rocket ulw 10 / ash
d)denon dvd 2900 / black
e)oak entertainment center

2. The room! if i had the money i'd start from scratch starting with the room.

3. The display

4. 1 doesn't much matter to match sub to speakers. Color of sub needs to blend with the room decor more so than the speakers since its a big cube placed on the floor somewhere in the room.

J

jlong

Audiophyte
Aperion 10th Anniversary Home Theater System valued at $1999!!!

Amp/Receiver Onkyo Ht-r550 in Black
Speakers Onkyo SKF-550 (modified)
Sub(s) Onkyo SKW-550 (modified)
Sources PS3 as a blu-Ray player, Toshiba HD A20 DVD/HD-DVD Rotel cd player
AV furniture Target Black Ebony
Other Panisonic 50" Plasma

The Surround System - This is a kick A@* HTIB (was good for the mony)

The Speakers

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain.

9! The aesthetics are very important (gloss black Please)

C

Cuhulin

Audiophyte

1. Amp/Receiver: Denon AVR-791 Black

2. Speakers: Denon SYS-57HT in black, except for the center which is an Aperion 5C in Cherry. The SYS-57HT was the speaker system that Denon sold as part of its DHT-487DV htib system a few years ago. I am replacing it a piece or two at a time, starting with the Denon receiver and the Aperion 5C for the center.

3. Sub(s): Denon DSW-76 black -- the sub that was included in the Denon SYS-57HT.

4. Sources: Sony N460 Blu-ray; Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD

5. AV furniture: Fairmont Designs Estates II entertainment center

6. Other: Vizio P50HDM plasma monitor

2) What would you change in your home theater system? All the pieces other than the new Aperion center and the entertainment center, probably using a more feature-rich Denon, the rest of an Aperion speaker system, and a new 55-60" 1080P monitor.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? The front right and left channels.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? Scale: 1–10 (1= Didn’t matter at all, 10 = Had to match finish color). Please explain. 7. It was not important when I bought the first system because it came as part of the HTIB. In shopping for the new system, I will either (a) use the matching finish, because it will look better, or use one of SVS's cylindrical systems, which won't match -- a matter of how they sound in my room. I would like matching, if possible, but I won't pick the wrong sounding sub. I have auditioned some very expensive subs that I did not like in stores recently, and the performance in my great room will be the most important factor. For WAF reasons, though, appearance matters a lot and finish that is compatible with the decor, even if not identical, is absolutely critical.

Cuhulin
Meridian, Idaho

M

maxx103

Audioholic Intern
hopeful

1)I do not currently own any home theater system.:(
2)I would like to change the fact that i don't have a sound system.
3)If i did have a system i would focus on the sub.
4)8-I would really be happy with any color that was close to matching but if they didn't i would not be heart broken. The reason for this is that color doesn't change the amazing sound. Also because i will most likely be sitting in a dark room.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned

1. Amp/Receiver

onkyo TX-SR876

2. Speakers

PARADIGM MINI MONITOR *front*
PARADIGM CC-190 *center*
PARADIGM ADP-390 *surround side*
PARADIGM ADP-390 *surround back*
(all in Rosenut)

3. Sub(s)

one PARADIGM DSP-3200
(in ash black)

4. Sources

PIONEER DV-400V-K DVD (in black)
COMCAST HD DVR(in black)

5. AV furniture
none,just a normal LR chair and couch

6. Other

TV SAMSUNG HL-S6187W

get better theater type comfortable recliners or dual reclining couch and maybe upgrade my center channel speaker.

furniture

it was very important,a 10,but I found a deal on the black DSP-3200 that I could not pass up.

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
ATTN ALL Audioholics Members

All;

Today is the last day to enter this contest!

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rlman41299

Audiophyte

A) Amp/Receiver - ONKYO TX SR805 - BLACK
B) SPEAKERS - FRONT- klipsch rf-63 - black
- CENTER - KLIPSCH RC-64 - BLACK
- SURROUND - MONITOR AUDIO RADIUS 225 - SILVER
C) SUBS - VELODYNE DPS 12 - PIANO BLACK
D) SOURCES - SONY BDP - 350
- SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SLIM
E) AV FURNITURE - Z-LINE TV STAND
- MAKESHIFT TV STAND CONVERTED TO AUDIO RACK
F) OTHER - APC POWER CONDITIONER S15 - SILVER
- SONY KDL60NX801 LED EDGE LCD TV

SPEAKERS, MORE COMPACT BUT HIGH QUALITY SPEAKER DUE TO LIMITED SPACE,

-GET A DEDICATED POWER AMPLIFIER

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system?
- SCALE OF 4 - SAME FINISH IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO ME FOR I ALWAYS TRY AND HIDE MY SUBS OUT OF SIGHT. MY SUB PLACEMENT AS OF THE MOMENT IS AT THE CORNER OF THE BACK ROOM OUT OF SIGHT UNDERNEATH A COFFEE TABLE

S

StphNieuw

Enthusiast

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo 806 - Black
2. Speakers - Aperion 6B, 6C, 5B - Piano Black
3. Sub(s) - TSC T250 - Matte Black
4. Sources - Pannasonic DMP 60 - Black
5. AV furniture - Dark Wood colr
6. Other - Ninentdo WII - White

A) Room itself, make it bigger and higher ceilings.

A) Additional sub or 7.1

A) I would say a 4 as long as its the same general color. It would be ok to have a different finish, piano black vs. matte etc.

W

WICKEDNEBULA

Enthusiast
aperion contest

1. Amp/Receiver - Onkyo txsr507- Black
2. Speakers - fluance avhtb black
3. Sub(s) - polk audio psw10
4. Sources - black ps3 for bluray,xbox 360 elite black with netflix, sony viao lap top
5. AV furniture - brown leather 3 seat berkline recliner theater seats .
6. Other - Ninentdo WII - White projector infocus x9 720p

A) i would really like some new speakers the fluance are ok but the aperion would be awesome and i would also like a real screen for my projector not one that i made although it works for now .

A) the speakers for sure .

A) 5 as long as it was not a flashy color that did not match the room at all i would not care .

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Amp/Receiver- Marantz 6003, Black/ Aluminum
Speakers- 2 Ancient Sony Towers my parents bought when i was a kid =( in a black wood finish with grills on. PLANNING on some more black bookshelves, not sure which ones.
Sub(s)- Don't have one yet =( Going to get an SVS PC12 in Black
Sources- Sony Playstation 3, Black
AV furniture- TV Stand = Black
Other- Panasonic THZ 85-U, Black/ Aluminum; Nintendo Wii - White (the black one came out recently and looks amazing =( )

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Would get a taller TV stand so a bookshelf center can sit at ear level. And uh.. go from 2.0 to 7.2 :D

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? I would... add 4 bookshelves, a center, and 2 subs? LOL. In terms of sound i'd want something with much improved imaging, detail, and flat frequency response - it would make gaming and movies way better. I'm not much of a loudspeaker- music listener (my audio technica ATH-M50s are all the music listening I want) so my emphasis would be on making movies jaw-dropping. Right now my mere two towers can get decently loud, but there's definite distortion at higher volumes and while they have passable bass, it's clearly not the same as a dedicated subwoofer giving undistorted, tight response.

4) When you chose your speaker system, how important was it that the subwoofer finish color matched the rest of your system? In a way it's important especially since it's always nice to have afew pieces with a nice finish (black does get boring), but the thing about a sub is that because it's may often be pretty big, you can often disguise one as a wooden endtable. I think when I do buy subs and speakers, i'll probably get the same colour. It's not the end-all-be-all though... i could care less how my home theatre looks in the darkness during a movie after all.

P.S. (yes I have residence in U.S.A. although i'm in canada atm)

Last edited:
B

BigDaddy

Audiophyte
Amp/Receiver: NAD 763, charcoal colored
Speakers: LR speakers are 25 year old JBL bookshelf cheapo's bought in a big box store, bad brown wood veneer peeling off the sides. Center and surrounds are made by Sony and also purchased "open box" discount from a big box store about 25 years ago. They are black with no wood grain at all.
Sub(s): 12 year old Energy 15" sub permanently borrowed from a neighbor, black wood veneer
Sources: Tivo Series 2, home-built HTPC (soon), DVD
AV furniture: Pottery Barn Rhys TV stand, black
Other: Panasonic 50" plasma

2) What would you change in your home theater system? Everything! Seriously. It's all outdated, except maybe the sub, or substandard for my room, and bought on the cheap. Biggest needs are the Receiver and Speakers.

3) What would you upgrade 1st in your home theater system? Speakers, hands down. We are about to start remodeling the living room and need new speakers that fit the room, can either be mounted or put on stands, and sound great.

My current setup was not purchased together, so nothing matches and it looks like crap. The sub is a black wood grain, and the LR bookshelf speakers are medium-brown sitting on top of homemade stands that are dark brown. The center and surrounds are plain black and old.

However, when I remodel (a process starting soon), it's extremely important ("9") that all all the speakers match each other and come from the same company. This way they sound tonally alike and look well together. My wife insists on this, and I agree. It would be great if they closely match the furniture, but there are other wood tones in our room that may look just as good to match the speakers with. So matching is extremely important, but since the rest of the system is going out the door the options are open.

U

upyourkilt

Enthusiast

1. Axiom A1400-8 Amp Black, Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro in Black
2. Axiom Epic 80 7.2 system in high gloss cherry veneer
3. 2-Axiom EP500 in high gloss cherry veneer
4. Oppo BP83 in black, Monster 5500 power conditioner in black, sony PS3
5. Ethan Allen entertainment cabinet in solid Cherry wood
6. 60" Pioneer elite kuro black

More energy efficient television
Television
I would rate it at 7. It is important but not as much as quality, price and sound.

J

jzh

Audiophyte
  • Amp/Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5590
  • Speakers: EMP EF30 Series 7.1 Package, EMP EF30 Series 5.1 Package
  • Sub(s): EMP E10s Powered Subwoofer
  • Sources: Oppo DV-980H, Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD, ASUS O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player
  • AV furniture: TV Stand
  • Other
: Samsung 50" Plasma, APC H15 Power Conditioner/Monster Power Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII

Better source and amp.
Amp./Receiver
I would rate it at 5, but the quality, price and sound are more improtant.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This contest is now officially over. The winner will be announced shortly. Thanks for participating.

Update: 08/06/2010

Congratulations to: John Strauss (aka. psu80) for winning this contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis