Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??

Doesnt matter as long as it sounds good. 8 is nice for apartments now.
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
no real feelings, I dont know enough yet

3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
front firing

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

SPL

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

I have it near a wall
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Built in if its built well
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

auto room, since I am so new still
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

Not sure, i cant afford high performance, probably 1k
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Black and silver. Black is better

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic

I've only used a 10" but I still think the 12" is more appealing

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?

Right now Im happy with my single driver design but I would like to try a dual desing.

Floor Firing

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

Low Frequency Extension

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?

Larger designs

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

Mine goes in the only place it can go, under my desk close enough to the corner, though ideally it would go closer to the corner of the room, not under said desk.

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Built in amp

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

If it works properly, the Auto EQ.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

$600-$850, though I know that still might be pushing it

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Glossy Rosewood or Black

N

noob001

Audiophyte
12" or larger

Dual Drivers with active radiators

It doesn't matter

Low Frequency Extension

Larger Designs

By a wall but not in the corner

I prefer built in amplifier

Auto Room EQ would be nice

Less than a thousand

Piano Gloss or Cherry

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
1. 10" is best for me, given my room size and the aesthetics
2. I don't care about the design per-se. I only care about the results (sound!)
3. I've found I can like both, and don't have any bias to one or the other
4. Low frequency extension
5. I like seeing more compact designs, so given adequaet perfornance, I'd like to see a good super compact (high pressure) sub
6. My main systme does not use a sub right now (it is broken, pending replacement)
7. built in amplifier, for space/simplicity
8. I want an auto-leveler, for the basic setup but also manual control if I want to tweak it later.
9. I'd never spend more than $1000 myself, but I look first at the under $700 price range.
10. I like basic generic black to match my other speakers and AV cabinet, but I'd also consider something in a medium babboo tint (golden brown), to match our floors.

C

chicago25624

Audioholic Intern
Sub City

1. 12"
2. Single driver active
3. Front firing
4. SPL
5. compact, easier to hide.
6. Depends on the response I get from the various places. Sometimes the corners best, others times it isn't.
7. Stand Alone Amp
8. I like to do it bymyself, the ear hears, mics just listen
9. $700-$1500
10. Flat finish in black. 2 options would be black or red oak

Jey Jockey

Jey Jockey

Junior Audioholic
Contest

1) 12"
2) single, active
3)front firing
4) Low Freq. for sure.
5) large size, big sound needs big boxes!
6) away from the corner, but thats my HT
7) built in amp for sure
8) built in EQ please
9)$800-$1500 depending on build quality and sound
10) Blach ash of course and a cherry veneer or maple..something lighter and not a cheap nasty veneer.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
12"

SPL levels at 20Hz and size are more of a concern. Prefer to get the best SPL levels at 20Hz with the smallest size. So Single is preferred due to size only if it hits the SPL levels.

Floor firing design

Both are just as important.

Super compact (high pressure), however this can come at a disadvantage i.e low SPL levels at 20hz.

Corner

built in amplifier

Auto room EQ

$1500

Flat black, Standard White Oak

J

jja

Audiophyte
1) 12" is fine
2) I prefer dual driver design, but I can certainly live with single.
3) Front firing
4) Low frequency extension
5) I trust conventional better, but if you can convince me otherwise, I'm all ears!
6) Got room in front in my cabinet.
7) Built in amplifier strongly preferred.
8) Manual controls, I like to do it myself.
9) $1000 ideally
10) Black and cherry

Ron_Phelps

Ron_Phelps

Junior Audioholic
I prefer the 12 inch woofers
I like the dual driver design
Floor firing design
SPL is most important
the larger designs
my sub is away from the wall midway between my front main speakers
built-in amp
give me the auto room eq
$750-$900
I like gloss black or oak finishes

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
12 inch

No opinion

Floor firing

SPL

Larger

Center of room backing to a wall

Built in

Auto Room EQ

$500-$1000

Cherry, Rosewood

P

project86

Audioholic

Depends. For an all out sub with no limits, I like 15". For a space/budget limited application, a good 8" can do the trick.

I prefer single, just because that's all I've ever used. Passive radiators (if implimented well) are a good way of improving a sub without adding too much cost though.

I prefer floor firing.

Low frequency.

See question 1, they both have their places. With no restrictions I'd prefer a large sub.

Corner when possible.

Amp built in, unless maybe I was building a very high end system.

Both if possible, but getting the proper manual controls is more important.

With all the excellent choices out there, I can't see myself spening more than $500 to get what I want. I realize that more expensive products do offer improved sound, but at $500 or less I feel I can get everything I need.

Black has always been the best for integrating into any room. I guess my choices would be a nice piano black, and maybe a deep rosewood.

P

petrucci

Audiophyte
I never win anything :(

Well, I think a 10" is proven to be plenty of output for most rooms.

Single

I get a flatter response from my front firing.

lfe

compact would be desirable

away from wall.

built in

both please

$500-$1000

Cherry, Black

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
12"
Single
Floor firing
Low frequency extension
Larger
Away from wall in a nearfield placement behind sofa.
Built in amp
Manual parametric controls
$500 to $1000
Black and Silver

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
I have a decent 10" right now and really wish that I had went with the 12", I'm going to say 12"
I well designed single driver is the what I want.
I think there are benefits to both, I have a floor firing now and am going to go with a front fire the next time. I find the sound a little more musical in a front firing, and that's what I like
I'm going to say a little of both. I like low and loud, I'll go with good extension because there is only so much SPL you can handle
I like a smaller box but it doesn't have to barely be bigger then the woofer
I just moved mine out of the corner and prefer the sound on the wall.
Built in
I prefer an Auto EQ but only because I don't have enough experience for a Manual EQ, if I had more experience I would go Manual
$50... Yeah so that's a joke, I'd say between $600-$1000
I like just plane black on most of my stuff. If I had two choices I would like a nice dark wood or black

P

PMAS

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
Not too important - other than the impact on the size of the unit.

2. Do you prefer single or dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
active dual

Front firing

frequency entension

Compact

Corner

Stand alone

Auto.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) `
~ 1k

Black, cherry and walnut

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
1. 12". There is no substitute.
2. Dual drivers, both active if space permits. One active, one passive is cool, but doesn't come close to the output of two active.
3. Front firing has been shown to sound better, but with duals, it takes up too much room. Duals need to be down firing.
4. Frequency extension is more important. I fell subs are meant for HT, and the best HT subs are those that go low.
5. Larger go deeper, there is no substitute for size.
6. Near a corner. Corner loaded subs are too sloppy. Too much room gain.
7. A built in sub is ideal.
8. Manual parametric eq on the amp attached to the sub.
9. $750 - $1200 is ideal with a nice finish.
10. Honey oak, since no one sells them. It's unreal how hard it is to find that finish. Existing oak trims are either too light, or non existant.

I need an pre/pro and amp! My Denon 3805 was dropped last month in a UPS foulup and I have insurance $$ to spend !!! ;)

S

Shortsord

Audioholic Intern
While there's never any harm in going bigger, I think a 12" is plenty for most applications.
Single, so far.
I've only heard a down firing once in an audition, but it was a noticeable change that I just didn't like. I'd prefer front firing.
Extension, definitely. It's most important to just get down there first.
I trust larger designs to be more regular.
Away from the wall, to the right in between my center and the couch.
Built in, always, with any decent sub.
The most ideal would be to have both available, but outside of that, manual controls are the most important.
Most desirable would be around 400-700. A small range, but a very popular one.

Personally, a dark glossy cherry is ideal. So many cherry finishes are just too light or plain, and I'd gaga for a proper dark cherry.

E

EricAH916

Audioholic Intern
Bigger is better, Atleast a 10", preferbaly a 12" maybe even 15"
I've only used single's in home audio, but dual driven subwoofers with enough power are a beast to be reckoned with.
Front Firing
Definately hitting those low notes and making it sound good is key.
Room size and or wife/GF play a huge part, but I prefer larger boxes.
Currently away from the wall, between the sofa and chair.
Built in amplifier
I like to fiddle with the controls, so manuel especially nice if their right on the amp.
Around $1000 give or take $250.
To fit with my current setup gloss black, but I also like the look of dark oak/cherry.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall

10"

No preference. If i were to design one i would probably start with a single though.

I think they can both be quite good depending on the design.

LF Extension ;)

I chose an Axiom EP600 for our theater. Its a monster. Compact ones for my personal 2 channel system if i decided to buy one though.

Depends on the room layout. I believe you can achieve better sound by not putting a sub in the corner.

Doesnt matter.

If i couldnt have both options I would rather have manual.

$800-1500

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice
of two finishes, what would they be?

Black finish like James loudspeakers subs. Almost a vacumme form finish? Or Something like the Axiom boston cherry.

S

stereojunkie

Enthusiast
12" subwoofer
single driver design with passive radiators
Front firing
SPL
Small is nice
Varied positions, as what performs the best.
Built in amp for convenience and simplicity
Auto room eq
$1000-$1500
Walnut and rosewood...dark woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis