Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

outfitter

Audiophyte
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
10"

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
Single with passive radiators

3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
floor firing

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
LFE

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
super compact

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
corner loaded

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
Stand alone amplifier-no plate amp

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
Auto Room EQ

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
$600-$800

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
Piano Black or cherry

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Contest Questions:
12"

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
active definitely

front firing because of aesthetics, not sound

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
low frequency extension, most people have small rooms ... it's best you target that market

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
compact will open you up to a bigger market

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
away from the wall and corner

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
built-in

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
I want to control it myself

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
below 1000 dollars

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
black or wenge

gagamaggot

gagamaggot

Enthusiast
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12"
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? Single
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? Front
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? Low frequency. Sell a pair for SPL.
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? Compact
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? Corner
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? Bundled with a dedicated amp would be cool.
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? Auto EQ
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) $700
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? Black or black

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vanhoecke

Junior Audioholic
12"
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? Active Single
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? Front
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? LF
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? Bigger the better.
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? 1/3 wall deminstion from corner
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? built in -- my rack it too full.
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? I'm into Denon -- Auto Room EQ
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )? I'm planning on spending around $2000 in the next 60 days.:D
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? Black or Cherry

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
I Think two 12" subs are perfect for most home theaters.

Single driver, since you can always just add a second sub and then you can get better sound as well. Radiators don't really make a difference, mostly because I have never looked into the technical or audio differences between the two.

Front firing.

Definitely frequency extension. SPL's can usually be gained by adding more subs or changing positions, but frequency extension is impossible to obtain if it isnt there to begin with.

conventional. I still think the super compact designs are too gimmicky, and i have never been impressed with the sound.

in a corner

For some reason, a stand alone amp would be way cooler, although from a convenience and cost standpoint it is probably not worth it. I would definitely go that route if I had the available resources, though.

manual parametric controls. Who can trust computers?

$1000-1500 is reasonable. SVS makes good subs in the $750 range, and I consider 2 of those to be a "System"

Piano gloss black almost always looks good, and then a natural oak, one that could be custom stained, would be preferrable.

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
-12"
-I own a dual driver, but would like to experiment with two single driver subs
-floor
-low extension
-I have a large sub but would prefer two small high performance subs instead
-corner
-built in
-auto with ability to tweak results manually
-two subs for $999 would be nice
-black or textured black

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic

12"

Single driver active

Haven't found any noticeable differences between the two.

Low frequency extension.

Space is not an issue for me so larger designs are desirable.

Corner placement.

I prefer stand alone. Easier to replace if something breaks or re-use for a different subwoofer.

Automatic EQ system.

Under $1500 for non-premium finish, including the cost of the amp.

Piano gloss is my favorite. White maple would be the second.

J

jsantos615

Junior Audioholic
8", but that's only because I bought myself a Sunfire Truesub Jr. when I got a promotion a number of years ago.:D

I like having a passive radiator, since I can move more air with a smaller box (I've always lived in small spaces)

Used to like front firing, but now, I'm finding floor-firing subs more aesthetically pleasing.

low frequency extension...the tighter, the better!

For space considersations: super compact (high pressure) subwoofers

In the corner

if performance was the same, a dedicated stand alone amplifier; it's easier to run speaker wire than RCA cable and power cable in certain cases.

manual parametric controls; YPAO never gets it right, so I have to do it manually anyway.

$550 - $1k

real maple veneer, laquered. If I had to choose two, they would be maple and black, real veneer, laquered

Pleeeeeeeaaaase give me reason to sell my Yammie gear and get an Emotiva setup!

A

AndrewLyles

Audioholic
Emotiva Audio wants you to win!

Emotiva Audio is giving away $200 off any purchase to five (5) eligible forum members. Coupons are good for six (6) months after the drawing date and may not be combined with any other coupon or special.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1.) For a Car I'll take a 12", for the home I can live with a 10"...though I am more and more suprised by what the little boxes are putting out these days with an 8" woffer

2.) Don't really care enough as long as it sounds good...again for home I probably prefer a single driver

3.) Floor firing

4.) Low frequency..make it go LOOOOWWWWW.... but if it only hits that note with 20dB it doesn't do anybody any good now does it?

5.) Right now, super compact because of space, though I typically prefer larger subwoofers.

6.) At the moment you could say away from the wall but I haven't experimented a lot with that.

7.) Definately like the idea of a dedicated stand alone amp...less vibrations to the electronics is a good thing.

8.) Manual!!!

9.) I think the sweet spot is between $700 and $800 for me, but the bread winner at the store is going to be $400-$500

10.) Piano High gloss black and I would kill for a high gloss white, I think that would look really good...especailly against my white apartment walls!

11.) What do you mean no more questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
O

ouchakov

Enthusiast
Here is my 2 cents:

Q1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
A1. 10'' or 12'' should do the trick.

Q2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
A2. Doesn't really matter to me if the performance is good.

Q3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
A3. Doesn't really matter to me if the performance is good since they will be on the floor anyway; but if I'd put one in a cabinet, I'd be looking for front firing.

Q4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
A4. Doesn't really matter to me if the performance is good.

Q5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
A5. I believe in conventional (but not huge ones) since WAF factor is always there ;-) On the other hand, I think Sunfire had great success with super compact ones that sound very decent. So, the bottom line is: doesn't really matter to me if the performance is good.

Q6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
A6. In the corner, no doubt.

Q7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
A7. Sub with a built in amplifier.

Q8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
A8. Auto calibration I think will suit the most people.

Q9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
A9. High performance: $1,500-$2,000; but I would not spend more than $1,000 for a subwoofer.

Q10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
A10. I like "cherry" finishes or "walnut" they look "rich" ;-)

-Cheers,

- AO

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

12"

Active

Floor Firing

SPL

Compact

Away From Wall

Built in

Room EQ w/Mic

$750

Black Wood
Black Vinyl

J

jwood966

Audiophyte
12"+

Not familiar with how these terms affect quality/performance

I have a floor firing Hsu Sub and love it. Not familiar with how either type affects the sound.

LFE for sure. I specficially chose my HSU VTF2-MK3 b/c it was tuned to 18Hz.

Whichever design brings the most cost-effective performance. So I'd say conventional.

Front corner loaded for me.

built in amplifier!

manual parametrics controls?, that would be awesome!

If by "system" you imply that the sub ships with a equalizer/mic of sorts. then I would love to see offerings in the $400-800 range. (yea, even if it was a BIC H-100 + eq package)

std. black is fine. 2nd choice would be rosewood.

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
...12"

...Single, active.

...Floor.

...Low frequency extension.

...Conventional (larger) designs.

...Corner.

...Built in amplifier.

...Auto Room EQ.

...$1000-2000

...Piano black gloss and rosewood.

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
My answers

Q1. 12"
Q2. Dual, Active
Q3. Floor
Q4. Low Frequency Extension
Q5.Conventional
Q6 Corner
Q7. Built-in
Q8. Auto Room EQ
Q9. $1.5K or Under
Q10. Black Gloss or Rosewood

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
1. 12"
2. Dual Driver. Active.
3. I like both. It really depends on where it's being used.
4. low frequency extension with enough power to play at reasonable spls.
5. I have both and each has it's own benefits. Compact for single woofer. Larger for dual woofer.
6. One is in the corner, the other is centered in the room facing the side wall.
7. Built in.
8. Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone.
9. $1000-1500.
10. I really like a cherry/dark cherry finish or a basic matte black finish.

Thanks

Jack

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
At least 12", if not even larger.

No strong preference for either, but if I have to choose: single driver, active radiator.

Floor-firing

Definitely low frequency extension. A second sub can be added for more SPL.

Conventional/larger design would work for me.

Close to a corner.

Stand-alone amplifier would allow greater flexibility and upgradeability, though that'd be yet one more component to obsess about. :eek:

Manual control, again for greater flexibility.

$1,000 - $1,500

Something with some dark red to it, as that's the dominant color in my media room. How about mahogany and burgundy?

J

JaxLax

Audiophyte
---single 12 or 15---

---dual drivers---

---depends on if i want to show it off or not---

---SPL---

---whatever fits the needs of the room and budget---

---depends on if i want to show it off and the room acoustics---

---built in, simply makes it easier---

---EQ myself---

---$500->$2000 depending on size/amp/finish/etc...---

---Birds eye maple in high gloss---

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:
12".

Active.

Floor.

Low frequency.

Compact.

Corner.

Built-in.

Auto EQ.

$800-1000.

Oak and matte black.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. 10"
2. dual active
3. floor firing
4. SPL
5. super compact
6. corner
7. built-in
8. auto room EQ
9. 1000-1500
10. Wood - different types of exotic wood.

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
1. The smaller the better (wife's preference)
2-6. I have never had a subwoofer
7. I would generally prefer a built in amplifier. But if I would consider a design with an external amplifier if it improved esthetics.
8. Both
9. $500 - $1500
10. A nice cherry finish to match my entertainment center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis