Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
It really depends on the design and the purpose, but I prefer drivers not much larger than 12". 10" or 12" I find is a good size for most medium rooms and they can react quickly enough to perform well for music. However an 8" in my room would be enough. I'll go with 10 for sake of making a single choice but it is by no means definite. A 12 or 13" driver would be fine and preferable for home theater where depth and output matter more to me.
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
No preference. The proof is in the pudding. I think any of these designs can be made to perform well.
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
I've owned both, not sure I have an opinion. I'd probably say my answer is similar to the previous question but I'd hesitantly say front firing based on most of my experience.
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
for music, not necessarily either. I think linearity in response is an often overlooked factor. For home theater I'd say while SPL is important, since I'm not a total basshead I'd like a good support at low frequencies. It's a hard call though since for the impact in movies I think both matter.
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
I have no preference, again it comes down to the performance of the sub. I have noticed that a lot of the smaller "high pressure" subs seem to have a better sense of immediacy which I care about for music.
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
depends on the room
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
Neither matters if I don't have to pay extra for a stand alone amplifier to get similar performance in the end.
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

I'd like to have a chance to play with Auto so auto it is. Manual override should be included however.
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) For small room music listening $400-600 would be my preference. For home theater $800-1200.
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
Flat black so it "disappears"

Senior Audioholic
1. 12”
2. single driver design, passive radiators
3. floor firing designs
4. low frequency extension
5. Do you prefer super compact
6. in a corner of the room
7. built in amplifier
8. manual parametric controls
9. $300
10. Black and dark wood grain like Walnut.

N

Nuke

Enthusiast

It's the sound, not the size. I suppose 8" could give more placement options.

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?

Dual Active

Front Firing

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

SPL

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?

Super compact for sound, but conventional for price.

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

Corner

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Built in amp.

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

Auto Room EQ that can handle low frequencies.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

$1200-$1500

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Black and maple.

Thanks!

Nuke

A

aznshadoboy77

Audiophyte
I think 10 is probably sweet spot for quick bass.
I haven't had a chance to listen to dual driver, but I definitely think I'd like it more.
Active.
Floor firing.
low frequency extension - for spl you can always just turn it up more.
super compact are much more convenient
corner loading
built in, just for convenience
manual controls would be much more controllable
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
800-1200?
I like black - glossy is nicer.
AV123's piano black, or piano ebony (which I haven't seen but would be cool).

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
1. It's not the size of the driver, but rather the size of the unit. (-:

2. No Preference.

3. I like the look of floor firing designs. I cannot tell a difference in sound.

4. SPL

5. compact.

6. Near the wall.

7. Built in amplifier

8. Auto Room EQ system

9. $650

10. Black or dark wood veneer

S

serrada

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
12” overall but I have 2 – 8” SPL and a 10” HSU

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? Single

Front, but it depends on the quality.

SPL

Both but probably super compact - high pressure

I have the two 8” subs on either side of the TV and the 10” in a corner

Built in amplifier, but if I had the money I’d like a dedicated amp with a in line crossover.

Both

$1000

Piano Gloss Black; Black Ash wood veneer; (Cherry wood, silver like B&W’s, and a light blond wood would be next)

Last edited by a moderator:
dwayland

dwayland

Audioholic
Contest Questions: My Answers

Contest Questions:
1. What size sub woofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
10" (Works really well for deep, fast, tight bass response)

Dual Driver for sure! Looks cool and provides tighter deeper response.

Front for music and down firing for theater.

I look for a nice balance between the two. I just want to make sure that I can hear the deep stuff without have to turn the gain way up.

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) sub woofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
I like both and have both.

Yes, my subs are in a corner roughly 1 foot away from the wall.

I have never had a passive sub, but due to space, I think I prefer having the amp within the sub.

Room EQ system.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance sub woofer system (be realistic! )
Of course this depends on budget, but for me personally I have spent nearly 20% of my entire speaker system my sub alone.

Piano Black and Rosewood.

T

tiggers

Enthusiast
10". I like the size/performance tradeoffs at this woofer size and don't need the BIG bass.

Single active. So small, I can have two :)

Front firing.
Low frequency
Do to my size of room and limited placement, Super Compact.
Mid-wall gives me the best responce
Built-in Amplifier allows me better freedom on where the sub goes
Hmm. not sure. It would be nice to have both.
$700-1100
I really like the wood veneers. If there are two choices, a dark wood and a light wood.

But a plain black would be acceptable if it helped off-set the cost for a hi-performance sub.

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
12"

Single,active

floor firing

SPL

Larger designs

In the corner

Built in amp

Yes

$800-1200

Black and Cherry

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
12"

dual sriver, active

does not matter

SPl

larger

corner

built in

EQ myself

$1000

black
piano black

T

tcambear

Audiophyte
emotiva contest

1. 12"
2. dual - active
3. front firing
4. low frequency extension
5. conventional
6. corner
7. built-in amplifier
8. manual parametric controls
9. $800 - $1500.
10. Piano black

M

Maceo23

Junior Audioholic
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ?? 12 or larger

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? a single driver

3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? no sound prefference, however downfurung is apealing to me so that my cats don't ruin the driver

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? low frequency extension

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? small is nice

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? corner

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? built in

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? manual controls

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! ) anything under $1000 is great

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? Either black or a dark wood stain

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
1. Depends on application, music 8-10" HT- 12" or more
2. No pref. Just design it right.
3. Both, I have heard tight and musical front and downfiring woofers. Might prefer downfiring for HT.
4. Low freq for HT, balance for music
5. Size not important in HT to me, as I have a dedicated room.
6. Corner
7. Built in
8. Auto system would be cool
9. I am planing on paying $999 for my HT setup so I will say right at a grand.
10. Piano Black, rosewood.

R

REF

Audiophyte
1 15 to 18", It's a sub.
2 single driver, keeping it simple.
3 floor firing, a little safer.
4 SPL, but I really gotta have both.
5 conventional, yes small is nice, pocket size even better, but no big deal.
6 under the center channel.
7 built in amp, you can do a better match.
8 manual parametric, first, but auto might be a nice addition.
9 $1200-$1700, low loud and tight.
10 just plain black, nicely trimmed.

thanks
bob f

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
12"
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators? I've never heard a dual driver design.
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs? I enyoy both. I currently have floor firing design.
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you? SPL
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable? I would choose a conventional design.
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall? I currently set my sub in a corner.
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier? I prefer a built in amplifier.
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself? Manaual controls.
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )$1000 to $2000.
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? I always seem to prefer a cherry or rosewood finish. If that is unavailable I tend to revert to basic black.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic

single

front

extension

middle of the road, but if i had to pick, larger

corner

built-in

either manual or automatic with ability to adjust the automatic settings

$700-900

black vinyl, black wood

C

chrisivan

Enthusiast
Does not matter as long as the designed goals are met
Floor
low frequency extension
Doesn't matter but the wife would definitely want a small footprint
Corner
Built-In
Auto
$6-700.00 but value is what I look for
Piano black or satin black

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan

12"

Single or dual.

Either is fine.

Low frequency extension.

Larger is fine by me.

Corner

Built in.

Either option is better than nothing.

Up to $1,000 or more would be OK but the level of performance would have to back up the price to deliver some value.

Rosewood or Walnut.

I

Ironcross

Audiophyte
12"
Doesn't really matter as long as it sounds good
front firing
low frequency
super compact
In a corner
built-in
Auto EQ w/ ability to manually disable to edit the settings
$800-$1000
Black or Maple

C

crazy brit

Audiophyte
10"
Single, passive.
Front
LFE.
Compact
Away from the wall.
Built in.
Auto
$800
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? [/I]
Satin Black, Cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis