Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trance

Audiophyte
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??

12"

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?

I have had only single passive designs

3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?

I have always liked front

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

Low frequency

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?

Compact

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

Corner (WAF)

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Built in

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

Auto, with manual adjustment

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

$750-$1k

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? [/I]

Black, mahogany (darker, non-red hues preferred)

Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

sn_85

Audiophyte
12" subs

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
Single Passive

I prefer Front firing

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
Low Frequency extension

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
Super compact

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
Corner of the room preferrably.

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
Built in amplifier

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
Option for both

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
<$1000

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
either a black or a rosewood. which ever fits the decor.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1.12"
2.Dual driver passive.
3.Floor
4.Low freq
5.Compact
6.Corner
7.Builtin amp
8.Manual
9.$700-$1000
10.Maple,black.

M

MARS08

Audiophyte
I like 12"...moves more air
dual driver - active
floor firing
LFE
either is fine - I currently have a larger design
on the wall not in the corner though
built in definitley
Auto room EQ sounds great
>$1000
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
Doesn't matter when the lights are off during a movie

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1: 12"
2: No preference
3: Floor firing
4: Low frequency extension
5: Larger
6: Corner
7: Built in amp
8: No preference
9: About $1000
10: Black (preferred), cherry

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
1. 12"
2. Single, passive.
3. Front firing.
4. LF extension.
5. Conventional.
6. Close to corner - but not tight in the corner.
7. Built-in.
8. Manual control.
9. $1800 - $2200.
10. High-gloss black or cherry with gloss finish.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate!
J.

marcusvb05

Audiophyte
Emotiva Audio wants you to win!

Emotiva Audio is giving away $200 off any purchase to five (5) eligible forum members. Coupons are good for six (6) months after the drawing date and may not be combined with any other coupon or special.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1. 12" woofer
2. single
3. front firing
4. low frequency
5. compact design
6. away from the wall
7. built in amplifier
8. auto room eq
9. $600
10. diamon black

Last edited by a moderator:
william

william

Enthusiast
[B said:
Contest Questions:[/B]
1. 12" (if single driver)
2. Single or dual driver is ok. Whichever provides the best performance on music (1st priority) and HT (2nd priority).
3. Front
4. Balance between SPL and low Freq. extension
5. Larger
6. Corner
7. Dedicated standalone amp
8. Auto EQ with MIC, but with manual adjustment too.
9. $700-800
10. Black / Rosewood

R

RDaneel

Audiophyte
1. 12-15"
2. No preference, as long as the enclosure isn't too large for my room.
3. Front firing.
4. Low frequency extension
5. My "just right" size is about a 19-21" cube.
6. Away from the sides, on the front wall below a FP screen.
7. Built-in amp.
8. Neither, as I have R-DES, I'd prefer to save the money!
9. I'd pay up to $800 or so per sub...
10. Ebony or black.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
1. 12". The bigger, the better, Baby!
2. No preference, as I'm not terribly knowledgeable about this sort of thing.
3. I'm tempted to say front-firing, but the truth is I've never heard a floor-firing sub.
4. Low Frequency Extension is a bit more important to me.
5. Conventional, large designs are preferable. My space isn't so small that I can't make it work!
6. I placed my sub near a corner, but not too near it -- out a bit from both walls.
7. Built-in, absolutely.
8. I'd rather have both, but if I had to choose, the auto room EQ system.
9. Realistically, I'd like to spend no more than $750 Canadian. But that's MY budget!
10. Black is the most desireable of colours. Cherry red would be my second choice.

cheers,
supervij

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
Depends on the amount of floor space available, I own an EP500 so obviously space doesn't matter than much in my media room.

No preference.

Front firing is all I have owned.

LFE

Like in question #1, depends on the size of the room and the amount of floor space.

Mid wall inside of the right main.

Built in amp.

Both, so after running the Auto EQ the user can adjust it.

$1500

It would depend on my main speakers. Black and Grey would be suitable base colours.

A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
- 12"
- single driver
- no preference
- extension, I need it to go loud enough but many good subs go way louder than I need.
- I have the space for larger designs (just not the giant tub subs from SVS)
- In the corner about a foot from the wall
- built in
- Auto room eq
- about $500 (must not be more than $700)
- Black always works, a nice dark wood finish would match my other furnature.

P

Paul Harvath

Audiophyte
First Post Ever

Long time lurker, $200 is $200, time to post.

Contest Questions:

Doesn't matter to me, long as it is low and clean. Depends on room size I'm trying to fill. Currently North Creek Poseidon in 14 X 25 basement theatre.

Solo has been fine for me, I'm not a low end freak.

Front has always seemed cleaner

Low Frequency Extension.

Depends where, More room means more cabinet, great place for the cats to sit.

Away from wall.

Have had both, they both work. One less amp to move is nicer, built in amp wins.

Manual baby, Let me play with the cool stuff.

I'm really happy with mine, I built it and the parts were $500 plus wood, paint, glue.

Cherry and Black.

S

salaz

Enthusiast
Contest questions:

For living room, a 15". For bedroom a 10".
Both of by Subwoofers only have a single woofer and both are active - Have not compared it with others that have more.
Front firing
SPL
For Living room, larger - for smaller rooms, super-compact.
In a corner of the room.
Built-in amplifier
Auto Room EQ system with measuring microphone.
$700-$1000
Cherry and Oak. Black if other two are unavailable.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
I think a 15" subwoofer is probably the ideal size for most systems. Effortless bass is what I look for and smaller subs have to strain a little too much to deliver it.

I like to keep it simple. A single-driver active design probably does it best.

I have a strong preference for front firing designs. I'm looking for a musical presentation, not an earthquake on every note.

Low frequency extension. I rarely run my system at excrutiating levels.

I want bass notes that sound like bass notes. I think that is most easily achieved with an unported design, though not necessarily in a super small size cabinet.

Definitely AWAY from the wall.

Any self-respecting sub should have its own amplifier, one that's matched to the driver.

Ideally, both. Let the automatic EQ system do the initial set-up and tweak from there to suit individual preferences. Having a variable cross-over is crucial for achieving optimum results. I use a cascade of pre-set cross-over frequencies that enable me to better match the characterisitics of the audio recording with the listening environment and my own preferences.

Realistically, $1k to $2k with a standard hi-grade vinyl finish, $2k to $3k or more for a premium finish (e.g., piano gloss, wood veneer). Given the size of the larger subwoofers, having a cabinet with an appealing finish becomes an important consideration.

I would have to say a high-luster gloss black or a darker-colored true wood veneer finish. Although a wood veneer finish offers ease of care, the so-called "piano black" finish provides an understated elegance that is much-needed in a larger-sized sub.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Size is less important than bass extension, volume, and accuracy. If I can get the same horsepower and accuracy from a 2" speaker that I could get from a 18" speaker, then great. But, since this hasn't been the case, 15" to 18" makes a lot more sense... maintaining the control!

I've nevere worked with dual drivers within a subwoofer, but I could see that being a very valuable asset. As I said - make it sound good first, then worry about aesthetics.

I've only used front, but have no major preference. I can see some real advantages to downward firing in terms of protecting the driver.

Neither - accuracy is most important. This likely plays into the low frequency first, then into SPL second.

Smaller is always better aesthetically, but not at the cost of honest accurate performance. So, if there is added cost to go smaller, there is a lot of WAF to be gained through that. But, if the environment allows me to go bigger and maintain the same quality for less money, I would go that way.

I place my sub about 1/3 down the wall on the side of my room.

I really think a stand alone amplifier would make a lot more sense with subwoofers. They already weigh a ton and the option to upgrade the sub/amplifier separately sure would be nice. Also, if my amplifier has issues, why should I be forced to send a 50 pound speaker in for service?

Both! What a silly question. ;)
Really, if I have auto setup, and can't adjust it manually, then what's the point? Manual is always a neccessity as an option - but if auto setup can be implented accurately, then that's a great perk in any product.

Upwards of $1,500. Really, it depends on the speaker and all the attributes that reflect the quality. I'm a big fan of 'bargains' which means I buy used a lot, but I want quality as well. A 18" Velodyne HGS sits in my theater... which still cost about $1,500 with several years of use on it. If money allowed, I would go with Velodyne's Digital Drive series pretty quickly... unless someone put out something comparible or better for less money.

Natural cherry and gloss black. There really should be more options available at higher price points though. If a speaker is truly going to be considered high end, then the company should offer veneers in a dozen or more choice colors at a premium.

L

leetamm

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
10"
Not sure.
Not sure.
LFE
Not sure.
Away.
Built in
Both, but if I have to choose it would be manual
250 - 750
rosewood

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast
Dual; hey, it's what I have.
Front.
SPL.
Larger.
Usually in the corner, current set up does not allow.
Built in.
Auto room EQ.
$1000.
Cherry & maple.

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
I hope I win! :)

Driver size not as important as musical quality (tightness, accuracy). Overall I would prefer several smaller (10") over a single larger (15"+) for better room placement choices...

No preference on toplogy.

Front firing for music; no preference for HT

Prefer accurate LFE over high SPL

Compact (WAF)

Corner or next to speakers or seating (WAF)

built-in

Manual EQ system, preferably with several savable "presets" (movie, music, background music, etc)

$400-$700 for average families (one income, 2+ kids), < $1,500 acceptable for more extreme enthusists

Some sort of nice "furniture grade" finish like what AV123 and others offer.

..dane

H

heystew

Audiophyte
contest entry

12"
dual / active

front

low frequency

conventional

corner

built in

auto

$1200

Cherry & Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis