Enter to Win: $200 off order from Emotiva!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Emotiva Audio wants you to win!

Emotiva Audio is giving away $200 off any purchase to five (5) eligible forum members. Coupons are good for six (6) months after the drawing date and may not be combined with any other coupon or special.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tubesaregood

Audioholic

I don't really care as long as they sound good.

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?

I like passive radiators.

Front firing.

4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?

Low frequency.

5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?

Larger.

6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?

Yes.

7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?

Doesn't matter too much, but I am running a passive sub with outboard amp right now.

8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?

Ideally both. That way if I don't like the auto setting I can defeat it.

9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )

I feel one should be able to get GREAT sound for no more than $700 or $800. This coming from a guy who couldn't buy half an $800 sub right now.

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?

A maple finish or piano gloss black.

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
12+

Dual drivers
Active radiators

Front firing.

Low freq, I want to feel it.

Compact would suit me better.

Away from wall, running sub cable to corner not
an option for me.

Built in.

I need the help, do it for me.

Arounf 1K.

Black oak,realistic cherry.

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
I don't really have a preference i judge on performance
I have single now and other subs that i was comparing were single too. but again dont' care as long as it performs
Front
Low Frequency
super compact (high pressure)
Corner
built in amplifier
Auto Room EQ (but would like a manual option as well)
$800 to $1200
10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?Black and Cherry (possibly High Gloss)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have had only 12" with my setup but have though about going to a pair of 10" at some point.

2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active or with passive radiators?
I have only had single passive design but would like to demo others.

Front firing.

Low Frequency

Larger conventional design.

Against wall as a end table.

built in.

90% of the time I use auto Eq but I would like the ability to adjust the settings to my own preferences.

$750-1000

Piano Black or Maple

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva contest

Contest Questions:
12"

Single Driver, compact sub.

Front firing.

Low frequency.

Compact, higher WAF.

Corner depending on best frequency response.

Built in.

Auto EQ w/ ability to manually disable to edit the settings.

$800-1000.

10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be? [/I]
Real wood, Rosewood.

Interesting questions. Does emotiva plan on building subwoofers?

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
12"

Dual Driver, w/1 active+ one passive.

Front firing.

Low frequency.

Compact.

Corner depending on best frequency response.

Built in.

Auto EQ w/ ability to manually disable to edit the settings.

From cost/performance leader Emotiva, hmmm $700-800.

Black and Rosewood.

Last edited:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
12 or 15 :D mostly because appearance in not that significant for me - performance is!

Doesn't really matter - as long as it sounds good

Front - mostly becasue to is what I've heard

Low freq extension

Conventional - see ? 1

Where is sounds best - depends on the room

Built in

Both - auto to set a baseline and then manual to fine tune

<$1000

Black or dark cherry

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
12+

Dual, (Not sure about active or passive)

I like floor firing

LFE (I want to feel it!)

Doesn't matter to me as long as it does what it is supposed to do!

Corner, a little away from the wall

built in

Auto

Oak, Cherry, Black

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai

Contest Questions:

Either a 12" or a 10" would be my preference.

Single driver with passive radiator.

Front firing only.

Low frequency extension is the factor for me.

Larger designs apeal to me more so over compact designs.

I dont corner subs, i try to locate them between my mains with the driver facing my listening position.

Stand alone amplification would be my preference,it cant be good to constantly subject electronics to the pounding of a sub.

Manual parametric controls.

Being that my choice in a sub would be external amplification i'd think a great sub could be had for less than $1,000 depending on the finish.

Oak & Cherry are the finishes i look for in a speaker,wood grains look much nicer to me than black,im not a fan of black finish.

RMarsh83

RMarsh83

Audioholic Intern

15"

Single driver, passive

Only really listened to front firing so far

LFE

Doesn't matter as long as it sounds good and can fit where I want it!

Corner

Built-in

Auto with the ability to manually override

$1000

Rosenut, Piano Gloss

M

madadam

Enthusiast
10"
single
floor
low freq extension
compact
corner
built in
auto
750-1000
wood! maple, rosewood

S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
1. 12"
2. Single, passive
3. Front
4. LFE (don't listen at reference levels anyway)
5. Conventional
6. Corner
7. Built-in
8. Ideally both. Choosing one - manual.
9. < $1000 shipped
10. Cherry, Maple

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
18" because size is important!:D
I don't have a preferance what ever sounds good.
Front firing.
Low frequency extension.
Conventional (larger) designs
In a corner but pulled out some.
Built in.
Manual parametric.
$700-$1000
Black with wood grain or a warmly stained cherry.

SBF1

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
1. 15" - not too big, decent amount of displacement
2. Depends on the enclosure. I prefer sealed but understand that weight limitations usually require a passive radiator or port if I want low frequencies.
3. No preference.
4. Low frequency. I can buy more for higher SPL. I can't buy more for lower frequencies.
5. Larger designs are fine as long as they can deliver the performance I'm looking for.
6. Not in the corner, but near the wall. I prefer not to have boomy bass.
7. Built-in.
8. Auto-EQ is more convenient but it needs a display. But depends on the cost.
9. Single unit meeting all my needs: $3000 max. Multiple units required: ~$1000.
10. I like natural dark woods like rosewood and ebony and mahogony. I'd pick rosewood and piano black as the top choices though.

placebo473

placebo473

Enthusiast
Q1. What size subwoofer is most appealing to you? 8”, 10”, 12” or ??
A1. 12" seems to compliment most large bookshelf and floorstanding speakers without dominating the room.

Q2. Do you prefer single our dual driver design, either active of with passive radiators?
A2. Dual drivers. Active and passive designs are the most intriguing to me.

Q3. Do you like the sound of front firing or floor firing designs?
A3. Floor firing designs seem to have the lowest extension.

Q4. In choosing between SPL or low frequency extension, which is attribute more important to you?
A4. Low extension. low extension, low extension.

Q5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
A5. Conventional. Super-compact designs tend to be pricey.

Q6. Do you place your sub in a corner of the room or somewhere away from the wall?
A6. It almost always end up near a corner.

Q7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
A7. A stand alone amp is undeniably cool and has other benefts too.

Q8. Would you rather have an Auto Room EQ system with a measuring microphone or manual parametric controls allow you to set the EQ yourself?
A8. An option for both is great but, I can't imagine anyone not wanting to tailor the sound to thier own bass-taste.

Q9. What price range do you feel is the most desirable for a high performance subwoofer system (be realistic! )
A.9 From the tremendous value I expect from the EMO guys, I'd say $800.

Q10. What color and finish is the most desirable to you? If you had the choice of two finishes, what would they be?
A10. Any color that matches my main speakers is nice, and since I don't know of any quality subs in a white or antique white finish (to blend with a typical room's wall color) black always suffices.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

12" since a bigger drive = more displacement, which means more bass

If I have the room, and the money I would prefer a dual active driver design.

I think if it's designed properly it doesn't matter, they all sound good... but I would chose floor firing if I had to choose just one

That's a tough one since I love both, but low frequency extension is more important, since it's easier to gain more spl by adding a second sub.

If I have enough room, I would consider a larger conventional design more desireable.

In the corner.

I prefer to have a built in amplifier that matches the subwoofer.

I prefer to have an auto room eq system with a mic.

I feel that a high end sub should be priced below $3000 to remain competetive if it's a high end dual driver design.

I really like piano gloss black, especially on a high end sub, but I also really like the rosenut finish.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
12 or 15" as long as its performance is good.
single driver design
Front firing
SPL5. Do you prefer super compact (high pressure) subwoofers or are conventional (larger) designs more desirable?
Larger designs
Corner7. Would you rather have a sub with a built in amplifier or a dedicated stand alone amplifier?
No preference but stand alone amp in a rack makes the system have more of a cool factor. The more amps and gadgets the cooler. lol
Auto
800 to 1000$
Cherry, Black

D

Dragon99

Enthusiast
12", or 15"
Single, active
Front
Extension
Conventional design
Corner
Built-in
Both is optimal, AutoEQ if I had to chose.
<$1000
Something different: Piano black w/ stone (granite or limestone maybe?) top. Not sure if this is possible, but would look really nice.
Traditional: Cherry

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
1 12 or 10
2 single, passive
3 front firing
4 Low frequency
5 compact
6 Corner out of the way
7 built in
8 Auto eq, or both if possible