Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
Besides the overall range of the speakers ( I prefer a slightly warm sound) the way dialogue sounds is very important.

L

LXIX

Audiophyte
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

Sorry for the novel, but you asked for it.

Detail and imaging are very important to me. I used to be seduced by the pinpoint imagining of designs by B&W and KEF but today I enjoy the sound of Magnepan, Macintosh and M-Design. These line-arrays tend to provide great detail and a more realistic soundstage.

I do not need absolute volume. I will happily sacrifice total volume for low distortion, total detail and an accurate soundstage. I feel that most people do not have rooms large enough to need speakers that can reach 110 dB of output at a distance of 10 feet from the speakers in a room that is 20x20x10.

Controlled directivity. I appreciate the designs from Magnepan and M-Design for their use of a line-array. They take advantage of loabing to limit vertical directivity, while giving a wide 30 to 60 degree window. Many people look for a wide listening window but refuse to recognize the impact the room will have. A line source has seems to provide the best compromise between wide dispersion and control over room interaction.

Designs that make sonic compromises for the masses frustrate me. Many designs are wrought with sonic limitations. I would rather have a line array that is 6 feet tall and can only reproduce tones above 60Hz or 80Hz with the purity and detail only a line array can provide than a compromised full range speaker system that is dark sounding with tons of bloated bass (due to room interactions). After all, given the average room size, it may be best to let the subwoofer do all the low bass tones.

-Matt

jbrillo

jbrillo

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is offering (2) 20% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (February 28th, 2006) to forum members that answer the question below in this forum.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this contest thread:

Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

Note this contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

I personally prefer a nice balance between high-end response, mid-range clarity and bass performance. I guess overall though, I find a warm sound more pleasing. While I really enjoy good sound, I don't consider myself a true-audiophile. My JBL's sound great to me, especially at the price that I paid. Bang for the buck is important to me. The tough part is that sound is so subjective, that I think it's impossible to make a speaker that everyone could find pleasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rower8899

Enthusiast
Being a musician and playing in a quintet, orcestra and jazz band over the years, the first thing I look for is that it sounds "real". I want to be able to listen to CDs, DVDs, TV and movies and feel like I'm where the action is taking place.

The words I use most often to describe this is imaging and soundstage. Martin Logan electrostatics have been my "dream" speaker for almost 20 years. Price has always been the limiting factor in that purchase and now with the wife and kids the WAF and stability are also a consideration.

In my book, get it to sound real at a great price and I will buy them!!!

C

castletop

Audiophyte
Things I look for when evaluating a speaker
1) soundstage, flat response
2) size and fit to room and current equipment
3) price

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The two most important things:
Midrange clarity and acurate, not harsh, highs.
Good bass is a plus.

T

Tazmoj

Audioholic Intern
Range and clarity are important, but price/value definaely plays a part. Another factor is the look/ housing available. My current system has B & W speakers (FMP), but I don't plan on replacing the Bass with a B & W ( I have a Boston currently I'm seling to family ). Am currently considering this line or Axiom for my upgrade

V

Vader

Audiophyte
The things most important to me when evaluating speakers is the timbre of sound. I know that all speakers will color the original sound to some extent, but the issue is to what extent. The main thing I listen for when auditioning speakers is clairity in the mid-range, along with high-end response (if the sound is harsh, that DQ's the speaker from the start); The low-end I leave to my subwoofer. Second, I try to audition each speaker in the environment it will call home -- my HT. Since each room has it's own "acoustical signiture", what sounds good on the showroom floor does not always work in my HT. Finally (and lastly) is the appearance, and how well it integrates into my decor (I'm partiall to black gloss finish, myself). :D

Of course, price is also a consideration...

F

fanofht

Audiophyte
Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why? Examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.

what is most important to me is clarity and detail. i, like many, have a subwoofer thats crossed-over at 80hz. so strong bass to 80hz is a must, transperancy is a big, big requisite, value is important, wide-dispersion also, timbre is super important and so is soundstage accuracy. i like speakers that are considered "bright and detailed", and i also like speakers that you can call "warm and smooth". buy above all else, clarity is thee most important feature i look for, because when i compared my htib to a pair of monitors that cost more than my htib, what stood out most was clarity. after that comparison, i still can't get over the fact that everytime i listen to a movie or listen to music with my htib i am not hearing all that the soundtrack has to give. this is what i look for most.:)

S

schoultz

Audiophyte
I prefer a slightly warm sound. The cabinet finish is important. I want a real wood veneer not vinyl. The price should be appropriate for the performance and appearance.

D

drdoan

Audiophyte
Having the SBS-01's and the PB12-Plus/2, I would like to have the higher level speakers do all the normal things: flat freq response, low group delay, low distortion, clean high freq's extending for above audible range, etc. I would like the new speakers to also consider time/phase alignment. In my opinion, that is a forgotten factor by most, but, can add a realism to the sound that mimics a live performance. Keep up the great work SVS. Dennis

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
my answer

Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

When I am looking for a speaker, I tend to start off with the performance for price ratio. Of course I set a budget first.
I then look for speakers that perform as well or better than speakers that are in a higher price bracket.
In terms of what I look for in regards to performance: good, accurate midrange, realistic sounding tweeters, and that the speakers do not try to produce more bass than they are capable of (sloppy).
Last but not least, a decent appearance is neccessary due to the all important WAF!
Thanks,
Pat

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
When purchasing speakers, I look for ones that have the best overall performance. By that I mean equally dynamic base, mid, and high levels. Speakers that focus on only one often sound dissapointing in the other areas. I'd rather have a great well rounded speaker than a excellent speaker in only one sound range.

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
Tight bass, smooth mid's and highs, high WAF, and lastly price

J

jasoncorrie

Audioholic Intern
I want a great sounding speaker that has great imaging and sound stage so that I can mentally put myself into the action. I also want to feel the bass, not just hear it.

G

gonar

Enthusiast
Tom Andry said:
1. clear, precise, musical reproduction throughout the frequency range of the speaker.
2. flat response from 60Hz to 20KHz (+/- <3 db). extension beyond that range is bonus.
3. imaging. imaging is key to the "suspension of disbelief" so necessary when attempting to enjoy a movie or musical piece.

my reasons are simple, I don't want the speakers to introduce coloration to my listening experience, any coloration should be something I deliberately insert using equalizers or DSP effects.

as to the frequency range, 60-20k allows you to enjoy most music & movies without a subwoofer until the money comes in to buy a PC-Ultra....

for imaging, I have a cheap old pair of technics floorstanding speakers (sb-2660 circa '87, 3-way, all paper cone) that image like nobody's business, when I'm listening to music or watching non-surround TV, the speakers just disappear and I can place the instruments or actors onstage (or wherever the producer chose to have them seem to be). the primary downside of these speakers is that they are "warm" and lacking a bit in high end extension.

J

jmcmann

Audiophyte
What do I look for? - A happy marriage!

So in the spirit of that statement I look to balance several factors:

1 - Value (not the bottom line, but performance per $)
2 - WAF (Wife acceptance factor - blend of size and aesthetics)
3 - Flexibility and forgiveness (Placement, mounting, size choices etc. - We do not all have perfect rooms, nor do we all have the ability and ears to run in depth tests)
4 - Soundstage and Imaging (A marriage of music and media - many of us use our home theaters for music and vice-versa - a balance between precision and seamlessness is key)

G

grantb

Audiophyte
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.)

I value low distortion, high resolution and high dynamic range. In recent years we have seen a much stronger effort to get the bass done correctly with regard to the room you are working with. This can have a profound effect on the end result. Bass problems can severely hamper midrange clarity and musical timing - what has been called "PRAT". Also, if you like to get frisky during a session, high output with low distortion makes it a lot more fun!

In summary:

1) Low distortion coupled with high output capability
2) A method of addressing the room's bass problems

Grant

Avantgarde Duos
Avantgarde Solos
REL Stadium III (Soon-to-be-replaced w PB12-Ultra/2)
Samsung 56" DLP (HLN567WX)
Pioneer DV-AX10 DVD
OPPO OPDV971H DVD
Hughes HD HR10-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis