Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker specs

Moderate size and priced bookshelf speaker with a flat frequency response across the mids and highs. Midrange clarity, soundstage, and imaging, and looks are important. I will leave the low end to a quality subwoofer like an SVS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Midrange quality - clarity and depth, first and foremost. Good vocal clarity is a priority to me; one of the main reasons why I chose my current speakers. Highs are the next area of focus.

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

I rate a speaker by how it sounds to my ears listening to various music I enjoy. It should simply sound as close to the ral thing when I close my eyes. Not add or subtract anything to the music.

Oh, and size does matter :p

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
After years of owning less than stellar speakers, I value clarity across the board on speakers. Secondly, an expansive and 'real feel' soundstage is to be treasured. Turnoffs....shrill, sibilant highs and sloppy bass.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

I stick with bookshelf speakers since I'm a frequent-moving apartment dweller (smaller, easier to move), so I look for the best overall sound I can get, from top to bottom, which I guess could be classified as frequency response. I look for the fullest sound I can get. Some bookshelfs can pull it off well, some can't. Also, midrange clarity is pretty important. I often take in self-made demo discs that include tracks of singers whose voices I know pretty well and I'll a/b to hear differences bt. speakers. Size, obviously, is important to me...probably not so much to the folks who have space for floorstanders.

I must confess that looks/fit and finish is big with me too. I see some speakers and I think that, had more attention been paid to fit and finish, they'd be the speaker for me. I know it's superficial. But hey, to each his own.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
[
Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).
Weighted attributes:

50% - Flat frequency response within +/- 3dB from 60Hz - 16 kHz, with relatively flat off-axis response. I primarily use bookshelves supported by a sub, so full range response is not as important - as long as the speaker can effectively blend with the sub it will work. I know a room can color FR, but I'd prefer to start off with a neutral speaker and control the room via treatments.

35% Imaging: I'm not sure how this is measured per se (off - axis?) but the speakers should be realtively easy to place to allow for proper soundstage creation. I like it when speakers "dissappear" during playback - meaning that a realistic soundstage is created and it no longer sounds as if the speakers are the only location sound is coming from.

10% Size: Not really a huge factor, for a dedicated room size is not so much a factor as the tolerance of the speaker to perform near boundaries (walls, in bookshelves, etc).

5% Aethetics: Nice, but most of my listening is done with the light low or off. I'll take substance over style any day.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
highs and mid range are more important to me, i leave the sub to take care of the real bass

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Wining this contest would make my day, year,...or home theater for that matter! It seems I've been saving for an SV Subwoofer ever since I became a member at this site. Now on to the question...In order of importance

1. Price
2. Clarity- crisp mids and Highs. I would like a Subwoofer, an SV Subwoofer, to take care of the rest...hint...hint
3. Smooth transition throughout the full range. No noticable gaps in sound between the drivers.
4. Astetics

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
Boy, that's a hard question to answer. I guess most important to me is the sound stage and clarity. I'm not worried about bass response as I rely on a sub to pick up the low frequencies.

T

tylerdurden

Audioholic Intern
One word. Purity. That warm glowing sound emanating from undiscernable direction that envelopes you and transports you to the recording studio, concert or scene in a movie.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
1. smooth detailed high end response - without a doubt!
2. mid-range clarity

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Price.

Can lower-priced products have excellent quality? You bet. SV products are proof of that.

Last edited:
R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
In order of importance,

clean, even sound across all frequencies, especially at high levels,

looks, I have to be able to pop the grill and be wowed

price, this is where I always have to compromise, until I hit it the lotto of course:D

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Total speaker clarity. Highs, mids, lows. I cant stand a muddied sound.
SPL. I like my speakers to be able to go loud. With very low distortion.
SoundStage.

Reorx

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I look for a neutral speaker that is a solid performer throughout the full audible range.

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Answers

I most often look for midrange clarity and tonal accuracy. I mostly listen to Jazz, Acoustic and vocals in 2-channel. These seem to be the strongest properties for this type of listening. In HT applications I love a nice tight and powerful bottom end (don't we all) and a very dynamic and accurate speaker. thanks for the chance to win.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
The winners post

I think high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance would all be good in a speaker with very linear response. Linearity is most important to me. I give no consideration to size (within reason), performance first!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM 20% off a 12 plus 2 in cherry. Maybe 2 of thoes big plus cylinders.

I hope I win! Good luck to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis