Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
To Make A Long Story Short...

There are several factors, depending upon whether it is a full-sized tower, bookshelf, center or surround speaker, that drive my own (or others) decision making.

For a full range speaker (tower or large bookshelf), I'm looking for solid performance from high, to mid, to low range (~30Hz-20KHz) frequencies while remaining as close to neutral from a sonic characteristic aspect, the less coloration, the better. This is not to say that it should be "laid back" or "warm", but should add little to no tonal qualities to the signal. In fact, all of the speakers (not just towers) should maintain this suggested sonic "neutrality".

For a bookshelf speaker, solid performance from a high to midrange frequency level which does not attempt to overstep its sonic capabilities. Highs should be crisp and mids should be tight and solid in attack, but again, keeping the bass response in check so as to not even attempt to reproduce low frequency signals at reference levels. As bookshelf speakers are quite often an alternative to towers due to size restrictions, the aesthetics aspect of design would drive a large portion of prospective buyer's decisions.

Center channel speakers should very closely timbre match a few tower and bookshelf models at similar levels, this would be my biggest peeve when performing listening evaluations. In addition to this, being the focal point of most movie soundtracks, they should be able to reproduce solid low to high midrange as well as higher frequencies. Lack of low midrange frequencies tend to spoil baritone dialogue giving it a far more sibilant ring.

Surround speakers should provide a broad sound field in any setting from a small to large listening environment, minimizing the need for focal point seating positions of the listeners. Similar to the aspects desired in bookshelf offerings, the surrounds should be aesthetically pleasing to the prospective buyer due to the broad range of application of surrounds in everything from a dedicated listening room to a multipurpose family room. Frequency response for surrounds should also parallel the bookshelf offerings, possibly giving up a bit more in the lower midrange as it will not be as crucial for them to produce bass at less than ~65Hz, allowing either towers or a subwoofer to pick up where they leave off.

And that's all I've got to say about that... :D -TD

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
What can I say that has not been said? Every body has hit the nail on the head. I guess what I look for is a well rounded speaker. If the bass is flat and tight but the high end has no clarity, it is useless to me. Also vice versa, the high end could be very detail and clear but if the bass is boomy, that will turn me off also (the same with mid range). I want a speaker to play back what the artist, director, or composer intended it to sound like, or at least very close. Looks play a big part also. I know mostly when you’re listening to music or watching a movie the lights are out. But hey they got to come on sometimes and you don’t want something hideous staring back at you. I know this sounds vain, but when you want to date a woman, usually her beauty attracts you first. Just like a pair of speakers, your not going to go, to the ugly one first, to try it out. Thanks.

Jason<><

Last edited:
J

jpmst3

Audiophyte
I think most users would agree that it depends on what price point/purpose. For most part it has to be mid-range clarity. That is the largest part of all audio content exists.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).
I would say linearity and midrange clarity. Linearity because I want to hear the source material as close as possible not the coloring the speaker provides. Mid range clarity helps during dialog in movies. Bass response is not much of concern as long as the speakers extend low enough to integrate well with a subwoofer.

J

jared555

Junior Audioholic
Price is a major factor for me because I don't have much income (16 and no job currently).

Bass performance is necessary between movies and games.

Size is a bit of an issue (I am running out of it cause of the computer systems, monitors, and speakers) but I can usually work around that.

J

jdrockafella

Audiophyte
well- how about a speaker that generates a TON of internet forum buzz because of it's great SQ, build and looks. And don't forget exceptional price!

At this stage of my life (after burning most of my senses from 10 plus years of installing car audio), a speaker that sounds better than what you buy at any big retailer, has good timbre matching characteristics throughout a line so I can put it in a home theater set up, and reasonably priced....I know I can't hear the difference beyond a certain point so I'm not going to pay a super premium.

pkretch

pkretch

Audiophyte
For me, the bottom end has to be controlled and also with definite "punch" when it is called for. I like to feel drum notes hit me in the chest. Muddiness or boominess turns me off. The midrange must have clarity, of course, and also not too obtrusive. I like a warm midrange. In the treble range, no ringing or shrillness, just precise and clear exact replications of the original source. For me the looks of the speakers don't play that big a part but I just got married so the looks are definately important now!

W

W.A.F.

Audiophyte
Guessing by my username, W.A.F., you would probably think that subwoofer appearance would be first on my list; but it's not. I like a strong quality bass sound, but not one that's so harsh that is feels like my soul is being vibrated from my body. Second, is how it looks, but it's my husband's home theater room so really it's up to him (the W.A.F in our house is pretty tolerable).

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garence

Audiophyte
Speaker characteristics

Clarity, overall flat response, broad sound stage imaging

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For speakers I consider several factors but often it comes to the actual aesthetics first and foremost.

That is, if a floor standing speaker won't work in a specific situation, then it won't work in that situation. So, it doesn't even qualify to be listened to. If on-walls are ideal, then why listen to in-walls?

Then it immediately comes to clarity. An accurate speaker that handles vocals well and doesn't get muddy. I currently have a lousy center channel and it is very tough to understand dialog far to often, yet I am stuck with an on-wall configuration, so I'm saving my pennies for a really good center channel to go in place. If you can't understand it, then it didn't happen.

N

Nate552

Enthusiast
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

I prefer warm speakers with good mid range clarity. Price is important, as is bass performance. Size it not as important as long as it is not ridiculous!

B

bmac

Audioholic
Accurate tight bass

The most important thing is accuracy. I don't need loud bass with lots of distortion.I want a sub that is both musical and movie capable. If the tools are good it's up to the artist to make a masterpiece.

L

langer

Audiophyte
I mostly listen to rock and techno. when i listen to a bookshelf I listen for the following:

1) midrange clarity.
2) clear, sharp treble
3) wide soundstage.

bass is not important to me in a small speaker as it should be the job of the subwoofer. I actually dont really like a completely flat response, as i like my speakers to have a little pop

mccabe

Audiophyte
Speaker Peformance

The music that I like ranges from my Favorites of Metallica & Pantera to Steely Dan, Spyro Gyra and Sting. I don't care what they sing about, lyrics don't matter, the music does. That being said, I like the music loud. In evaluating a speaker, I want to be able to turn it up loud, and still be able to hear the music like I was in the studio. Therefore, CLARITY and a QUICK RESPONSE at a high volume level is what I'm looking for in a speaker.

McCabe

S

stau40

Audioholic Intern
I look for clarity above everything else followed closely by precision. I want the sound to be lifelike and not like its coming from a speaker.

Sandman111

Audiophyte
The most important things are clarity and accuracy of reproduction (over both high and mid ranges). Size really doesn't matter (yes, I'm single), and as long as it's not horribly ugly, style is also a non-issue. A large soundstage would be a definite plus.

B

bebo

Audiophyte
Midrange clarity, flat responce, oh and of course price....we dont all have infinate budgets :)

K

knightly

Audiophyte
Realism

:D The best speakers I could imagine would make me forget about the techno aspects, and deliver the music as if I was at the concert. That being said, I would have to define this as natural, clarity without over-brightness. It would require deep realistic bass, a linear midrange, and crisp yet warm treble. It would reqire good off-axis performance so that placement is not critical. Finally, keeping it within a reasonable budget is always good.:D

annunaki

annunaki

Neutrality and linearity within the desired bandwidth are most important to me. I want to hear what was recorded and nothing else.

R

radchad3

Audioholic Intern
I look for alot in speakers. I think the first is mid and upper range performance. I like a speaker that is somewhat "in your face" but not too aggressive. Bass repsonse is important but not the number one priority because I always run a sub for any application. Also looks and quality construction are very important. If it looks bad or is poorly built, it would be very hard for me to dish out the cash. Again, customer service is also great to have, especially for the online purchases. That about covers it!! Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis