Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Funkymonkey22

Audiophyte
Bass deprived

I look for balanced and mid and highs and full soundstage. Looks and price are an influce but quality for value reigns supreme.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Answer

Fpr me, the first thing I tend to look at is the price. I tend to have VERY expensive taste so I have to be carefult not to fall in love with a $10k speaker. Second I listen to sound. Does it make my close my eyes and forgot I am in a store, if so, then on to 3 - looks - I love the look of a fine speaker. I realize a lot of people may get upset by what I said concerning looks but I am being honest. Those huge horn speakers my sound great but I will never own one of them due to the fact that they are UGLY.
Other than that, I am pretty easy to please...

oh, I do like a warm sound...

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I listen for many things, but most important to me is the clarity of the sound. I can't stand muddy anything, bass, midrange, or treble. After clarity, I look for linearity. After that, imaging and soundstaging. If I need more bass, I'll just look for a quality subwoofer.

F

fireshoes

Enthusiast
I want the speakers to be very spacious, with each instrument being distinct without straining to hear it. Fit and finish are also important to me.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
No good subwoofer can be called good without a resonable amount of bass extension to shake the room, but must never have such extension at the cost of accuracy and musical timbre and tone. A woofer should only play as loud or low as its mechanics allow it do so within a good sounding range, which will encourage QUALITY instead of QUANTITY of sound.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

Size - gotta keep spouse happy. After that, detail is probably most important to me. I like being able to hear each instrument separately.

D

dirtyD

Enthusiast
overall sound good mid range clarity i like every part to be clear and not just have any one sound stick out i want it all to be balanced

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

My preference is predicated by my choices in music. I love jazz especially brass instruments and therefore require terrific high-end response. A tenor sax without a reactive tweeter sounds like a kazoo. Not that there is anything wrong with a kazoo just not when I am listening to Charlie Parker.

The other factor is WAF packaging. While I wouuld love a set of Watt Puppys I can only swing a large bookshelf past the boss.

Compromise will allow me to live a long and happy married life. :)

T

tmankiller72

Audiophyte
I am looking for a neutral and smooth response through out the entire (usable) frequency spectrum , I don't care for over bright highs or hollow or cave sounding midrange and bloated THD loaded bass, I like smooth highs and mids and tight dynamic mid bass and bass. I've preffered acoustic chambered speakers especially in the bass region (they must be powered correctly) but a properly tuned reflex(or port) can produce a tight crisp bass response. I don't listen to "stats" to much I don't care how low this goes or how high these go ..I'm not a dog or a whale. I care what the "stuff" in between sounds like.

G

Giuseppe

Junior Audioholic
What means the most to me is the response of the speaker and the quality. I am not interested in the loudness because you can only play music so loud before you a) make your neighbours angry or b) go deaf. So if you can only play your music or movies and games so loud it comes down to quality of sound. Another thing that is important is the build quality of the actual speaker. I like speakers that are made with atleast a certain standard of build quality. I really dislike speakers that sacrifice quality for cost.

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
When i am looking for new speakers i listen for clarity low distortion good base and strong mid's. I look for that WOW factor in aestetics, like a large cool looking speaker to impress my friends, but audio quality is always first.

K

KSLBENZ

Audiophyte
Midrange clarity

midrange clarity is number one and then not tiring to the ears, and a good looking cabinet.

T

tsloms

Audiophyte
I think that a speaker should have excellent low end extension, crystal clear highs, and a warm mid range. The speaker should also be pleasing to the eye. Of course if the speaker has a slightly different look to it as opposed to the traditional box that never hurts either. It should be a conversation piece even to those that are not audiophiles.

N

NMEU

Audiophyte
Midrange that is clear and tight seems to be most important to me. I use a sub so bass performance is not that important. Price is also a big factor. I usually by a little better than i can afford which isn't that good so let me win.

S

skipsterut

Junior Audioholic
Speaker Qualities

Linearity, true sound reproduction and value (not necessarily price).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis