Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is offering (2) 20% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (February 28th, 2006) to forum members that answer the question below in this forum.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this contest thread:

Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

Note this contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Midrange clarity, full sound field, spacious soundstage, and great imaging.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I look for a midsize bookshelf with great upper and midrange clarity, but warm sounding. It has to have some bass extension, but I run a subwoofer so it is not that big of a concern.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.)?
Price is a pretty important, but in terms of what I listen for . . . I'm not a full-blown audioholic yet, I just listen for how pleasing the sound is. I put on a CD or DVD that I know well, and just listen. Whatever sounds best within my budget is what I go for. One thing is I'd like for the music to sound as if I can't tell where the speakers are. I like for the sound to be clear, not just in the mid-range, but all over.

Is all that vague enough? :p

cheers,
supervij

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I prefer a warm sound to speakers (i.e. for me Klipsh are too bright) and since I predominately watch movies I also look for tonal match across a set of speakers. So when the sound moves around the room it doesn't change regarless of wether it is coming from a full l/r speaker, a center channel, or the surrounds.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
MacManNM said:
Midrange clarity, full sound field, spacious soundstage, and great imaging.
You took the words out of my mouth,now give them back. LOL
I also want to hear the high hat clearly,not a harsh flash.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
in order of priority...

midrange clarity
looks (should be cool looking)
bass extension

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
Good tight bass......mid range clarity.....and a speaker that won't give me "fatigue" after 2 hours or so.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Nice flat response, good imaging, and warm, natural sound.

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
If you asked me this question pre-200, I would have said, "A great mid-range, followed by good imaging, a high-end that's not shrill, and a bass that's responsive and un-muffled". Of course, with my price budget, I could never get everything I wanted in a speaker. Now, with sub-woofers really coming into their own, having a set of mains with really good bass isn't nearly as important. With a good sub, all I need is a speaker with good high to mid-range sound and corresponding imaging (with some forgiving speaker placement- if it's not too much to ask). All these qualities, I believe, are now within reach of a lot more people.
With that said, I would also like to add to my list anything but a black finish!

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
In a bookshelf speaker, I look for overall dynamics. Bass is not important in a small speaker, but can the speaker hit the mids and highs with clarity and can it do it repeatedly when called apon in a demanding DVD. For music, clarity is important. Can you crank up the sound without distoriton?

In a floor standing speaker, how low can the bass go? Does the low end take away from the overall sound of the rest of the speaker? How well does the sound fill a larger room when called on?

Is the speaker overall balanced? Are the highs or mids too harsh for the other sound ranges?

Build quality of both the speaker overall and cones/elements are important as well. You want to buy for the long run.

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
Most important to me is a good flat response curve. I don't want my speaker to color how I hear the sound.

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
Most important to me is that it sounds good.

I may favor a speaker with good extension and mid range clarity, but just because a speaker is advertised with those attibutes doesn't mean it sounds good.

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
The most important thing for me is midrange clarity and full sound field. The bass is important but that's the part of my PB10. :)
Bertrand

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
In a book shelf speaker I am looking for mid-range clarity then an accurate but not bright high end.

In a floorstanding speaker I am looking for mid-range clarity then plenty of nice tight bass then accurate but not bright high end.

Its funny though how I can like two speakers that sound nothing alike. Balance is the key.

SBF1

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I'd have to say that the most important characteristics are things which most speaker manufacturers do not provide technical information for.

Frequency response: flat (+/-3dB is the accepted standard, but I'd like to see +/-1.5dB or less) to an octave below the subwoofer crossover: say ~30Hz in mains, ~60Hz or lower in auxiliary speakers.

Decay time: preferable to have a fast decay.

Off-axis response: I try to sit at 0-deg on-axis. But for home theater, off-axis might be up to 15-deg or even 30-deg. Frequency response and decay at this measurement would be good.

Power handling: I want to be able to reach 105dB at my seating position, and 115dB for subwoofers, if possible. That means a speaker might need to be able to handle much more than 200W without exhibiting problems.

Looks: there are a number of strange speakers which I'd be less interested in looking at. Performance is much more important than brand name or looks though.

Technology: right now I'd prefer a speaker that includes a ribbon tweeter. There don't seem to be many companies that include this on their speakers in a fashion that appeals to me, without also being very expensive.

D

df4801

Banned
range of freq. response, sensitivity and overall soundstage.
Want the sound good, while being easy to drive.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Strong bass, detailed mid-range, and clear hi's.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).
In this order:

Decay time, off axis response, looks, build quality, and spl rating.
Next - the tweeter. So many companies get the tweeter wrong. Either too bright, or too dull.
Finally, the crossovers. Use the best and charge a little extra.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
20% off... (evil laugh) :D

A combination of Linearity, Off-Axis performace, looks and price. Looks and price have slightly less weight but cannot be ignored completely. To put it into percentage points,

Linearity - 35%
Off-Axis performace - 30%
Price - 20%
Looks - 15%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis