Enter to Win: 20% off SVS Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is offering (2) 20% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (February 28th, 2006) to forum members that answer the question below in this forum.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this contest thread:

Contest Question: When evaluating a speaker, what is most important to you and why (examples: high-end response, mid-range clarity, bass performance, size, linearity, etc.).

Note this contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
Looking for a good speaker is sort of looking for a fine wine. It has to be robust, fulfilling and in good taste. My approach usually starts with reading industry reviews, like here on Audioholics. Then I review specs and decide on which cabinet styles I like. This is my first cut. The final cut is based on my ears. I like clean, robust bass performance. Yet, I want clear mid range and high end. The speaker can't struggle. It has to not strain my ears to listen to it. So to sum up, my final selection is based on my ears and personal tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kruppy

Kruppy

Audioholic
I forgot.....

When evaluating speakers what is most important and why? Hmmmm……

When auditioning speakers the most important thing they need to do is….make me forget; forget that I’m listening and not actually there, forget that my eyes are closed but still visualize what’s going on in front of (or behind) me, forget the fact that I can’t afford them or any other upgrade right now, forget all of the specs that we’re all trying to compare, forget the current debt I’m in because of this hobby, forget that my wife doesn’t understand this obsession, forget the solid state vs. tube debate, forget which cables will sound better with them, forget all the stress I brought home from work, forget that my car needs new brakes, exhaust and that it has 136k miles on it, forget the gouge my kids put in their new bedroom furniture, forget that I’m 30 pounds over-weight, forget that I should be saving for my kids education…….

Why? I think you can understand why.

Calgon (or should I say SVS?) take me away……….. :rolleyes:

H

Hummada1

Enthusiast
The quality of sound it produces for my ears is the most important thing.

S

ScottJ0007

Audiophyte
Price is probably my first qualifier. While I wish I had an unlimited buget, if the speaker is above my price range, it gets dropped from serious consideration pretty quickly.

When I listen to speakers, I always close my eyes. I want the speakers to help me visualize that I am listening to the performers in a live setting. The main thing I want is a realistic sound stage.

Bass is less important to me than mids and highs because I use a subwoofer. The sound should be crisp and clear, but never harsh. I don't want a speaker that becomes fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.

M

mrrame

Enthusiast
My 2 Cents

1) Obviously price, should be affordable by a common man ( under $ 1k for basic 5.1 setup)
2) Dimensions: under 15" for a book shelf and under 60lb for a sub woofer
3) Clear midrage. A good subwoofer should take care of the bass.
4) Unmuffled sound.
5) Finally looks.

R

Rik

Audioholic
accurate reproduction of the source material. I don't want a speaker that "colors" the sound.

D

Duffman-OOHYEAH

Junior Audioholic
What I believe most individuals look 4 in a speaker is it's ability to disappear.

I would gladly purchase any audio product that doesn't modify the sound. No added coloration or change in the signal is what the doc ordered.

C

crgriggs

Enthusiast
Quality reproduction of the source. Also with the sub-woofer, I like the "wow that hits hard" effect.

T

timn99

Audioholic Intern
I look for clear, warm high (female singers is a good way to judge for me), and tight lows (bass). The music has to fill up the room, as if you are physically present.

V

viking68

Enthusiast
The system must be enjoyable for extended listening periods. Nothing worse than being at a friend's home listening to great recordings which initially sound terrific, but after a short while make me want to run with scissors. Gotta have good balance. I can handle a "bright," "warm," or "laid back" system, just as long as everything comes together in the end.

G

gromitXT

Audiophyte
Accuracy, clarity, able to handle decent levels of output (I don't want to make my ears bleed, but for home-theater I want the impressive parts to be just that)... those are probably most important. I like what others have said, though, about really wanting to just forget they're even there... I don't want so much to be able to show off the speaker, I want to show off the *experience* of watching a movie.

Not that it's all about showing off ;)

E

eCo

Audiophyte
contest entry

The most important aspect to me for evaluating a speaker is clarity of sound at all frequencies and at all reasonable sound levels. Also this clarity most be uniformly projected accross a reasonably wide sound stage. After that, range of frequency response is important. Finally, build quality and component reliability are way up there, as well. Price is important, but I would expect it to be commensurate with quality.

eCo

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
Clarity. Muffled sound is the worst!

I'm pretty touchy about my highs, they are very delicate and speakers have to walk a fine line between being over-powered by lower sounds, and making your ears bleed.

Build quality is something I am always interested in. Won't bother demoing a speaker in the first place if I feel the construction is not deserving of the speaker price.

If it is for a surround system, the entire system must have a uniform sound and feel. If I don't like any aspect of any of the speakers (excluding the sub), it may kill the whole deal for me.

I actually prefer a more intimidating and in your face appearance of a speaker. I am proud of my speakers and I want to show them off, not hide them where no one will see them. It's a home theater, it's acceptable for people to see your speakers, perhaps even preferred to "hidden" ones!

S

stan191a

Audiophyte
Bic 75

Spiffyfast said:
highs and mid range are more important to me, i leave the sub to take care of the real bass
I have Wharfedale Rubiance speakers..rather dull. I also am using the Pioneer 1015T and was wondering how your BIC 75s sound with this 1015. I am thinking of going with the BIC(Acoustetech) to get some more clarity, brightness, presence, and more believable midranges and highs. How do your BIC 75s sound?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis