Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeorgeH

Enthusiast
Basic only - perhaps a bit more than that, but I do have a lot of questions about setting up a HT in my sub-optimal room.

N

naisphoo

Banned
I'm just started so i barely know how to hook up my things.

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
Set up my system myself. Would like to consult a professional for calibration of my HDTV. Comfortable with nearly all aspects of audio setup, but haven't really taken the time to nit-pick speaker placement. Would like to add room treatments, but aesthetics make this difficult. May uprgrade speakers in the future, but probably not until I have a larger living space/theater room.

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
I selected Good knowledge because i know a decent amount about my equipment and can give some good advice to beginners and can usually make a few intellectual comments when in a serious discussion but I dont know everything and there is much more to learn which is why i am going to college next year (Purdue or Michigan Tech most likely) to learn more about this field. Woo hoo!

ndsh

ndsh

Enthusiast
I had to go with good since I've never tried to calibrate the system manually. A friend found a RS meter in his Christmas stocking, so I do intend to give it a try shortly.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I classified myself as "good". I feel comfortable with cable connections, receiver setup with an SPL meter, and general speaker and subwoofer placement. I've helped set up parents, in-laws, and 2 brothers surround systems, and I'm the one they call for advice on new purchases or troubleshooting existing hardware.
All that stuff any one can do after they do it once. I'm starting to learn more about room acoustics and will get into that once the budget allows. Since I've joined audioholics my knowledge of all this stuff has grown extremely and I have only the great minds on this forum to thank.

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
I'd say I'd rank as "Good". I grew up in a home with an audioholic father who was stereophile devotee. I learned the basics from him, and shift in and out of the hobby as I have time. I just recently got back into home theater, and upgraded to a nice plasma and am searching for some speakers and a new receiver.

I have a reasonable ear and generally don't have setup problems, except with what I consider very poorly designed or buggy hardware. Havin the Internet at your fingertips makes some types of setup easier. I can calibrate things from sight and sound for basic things, but I also just recently got some TV calibration DVDs, and I also just ordered an audio calibration disc, and I recently purchased a SPL meter, so I can do some more scientific testing, and learning. I do similar hookups and also often do buying/recommending for family and friends. I don't really like how complicated system setup has become, but I can live with it because I change my hardware fairly slowly and deliberately. I hate user manuals that are just lists of setup options with no description of what the option choices really mean, and explain in detail why to choose one over other.

Matt34

Matt34

Basic knowledge. I'm still very new to this and haven't had a chance to actually calibrate my system. I'm a hands on type of guy but I feel I've read up on this enough I could do it now with fair results.;)

phils514

Audiophyte
i need a good system

my friends always get better systems than what i get because i dont have that much money to spend. maybe this will help.

W

wayhigh

Audiophyte
I have been following audio and home theater gear for about 9 years now. I've had the chance to try out some really nice equipment over the years and have installed/configured several systems. I'm finally putting all my experience together to build my own home theater the way that *I* think it should be done as well as doing whole house wiring of my new home for Internet, audio, and video.

Tom Andry said:
Axiom Audio wants your opinion!

Axiom Audio is offering $1000 Axiom dollars redeemable on any Axiom purchase to one (1) randomly selected winner!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BradB

Enthusiast
I say basic - I've had the same setup for 5 years, and keep making big changes with room acoustics, cannot seem to get it right.

J

jafo_91

Enthusiast
Axiom $1k off Contest

I chose Good knowledge. I usuall end up helping friends and family hook up and tweak thier systems to get the best out of their system. I wouldn't mind taking a few informal courses/seminars to keep me up to date. Of course this site has been very helpfull and informative.

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
i consider myself to have good knowledge of AV equipment because I set up the home theatre by myself. It really isn't that difficult because there aren't a lot of connections.

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
I would say I'm a expert. I've allways read my manuals and read on forums. I never have used a auto setup feature. Maybe because I never had a fancy receiver that had one.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I say Good Knowledge. I've been connecting and setting up stereos and A/V equipment for over 20 years, and I'm very comfortable doing it. I know that I'm not an expert, though, especially when it comes to calibration and room treatments. I haven't spent much time researching proper room acoustics and treatments, mostly because I know that I will ultimately be too lazy to implement them. I'm an engineer who spends a good deal of time increasing the efficiency and ease of use of systems, so I'm confident that the A/V industry will make it very easy for us common (and lazy) folks to set things up and get excellent results.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Set up and the hardware part is a breeze for me. When I get to the point where I have enough pieces (like if I were to win the Axiom discount) I hope to learn more of the calibration aspect.

S

sharmaravi

Enthusiast
I posted basic because I know I would have no problem plugging in all the components but thats about it, I wont be able to set it up. So far I have only read reviews/discussions on a/v websites and auditioned a few speakers at local stores. All this in preparation to build a home theater in my new home that I just bought.

Unreal1997

Audiophyte
I picked expert. I've set up a few complete HT systems from start to finish - wiring, speaker placement testing, in-depth receiver settings, etc.

K

Kruncher

Enthusiast
Given the description, I chose Expert. With an Avia disc or Real Traps test CD and an SPL meter in hand, auto setup is not necessary nor recommended.

Of course, outside of the definition for this poll, I personally would refer to myself as a pretty knowledgeable hobbyist, but hardly an expert.

A grand off of the cost of an order would assist in furthering my knowledge nicely. :D

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
I have some quality a/v equipment, do lots of reading and I'm educated. Things I don't know I feel I can learn on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis