j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the cancellation of the new STI, I am pondering an EV as the second car. I am looking at the Subaru Solterra, though I am not 100% sold on it. I am leaning more toward the Hyundai Ionic 5 or Kia EV6.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Washington staters, charge your batteries !!

Similar to CA. Here they won't allow any new ICE cars to be sold here starting in 2035. Not sure how that will impact cars brought from out of state.

Hyundai just joined the eFuel consortium, but it seems to be too late for most performance cars. GTR cancelled. STI cancelled. Now the Z-06 was just cancelled too:

Mustang and Charger haven't been cancelled yet, but they are both supposed to be moving their top variants to hydrogen. It isn't official for Mustang, that's still rumor, but the Hellcat is official:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Similar to CA. Here they won't allow any new ICE cars to be sold here starting in 2035. Not sure how that will impact cars brought from out of state.

Hyundai just joined the eFuel consortium, but it seems to be too late for most performance cars. GTR cancelled. STI cancelled. Now the Z-06 was just cancelled too:

Mustang and Charger haven't been cancelled yet, but they are both supposed to be moving their top variants to hydrogen. It isn't official for Mustang, that's still rumor, but the Hellcat is official:

Might want to check the date on the corvette article. Got me too when it first popped up. Same with the Hellcat article.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to check the date on the corvette article. Got me too when it first popped up. Same with the Hellcat article.
LOL, thought they were true. STI is for sure cancelled. Mustang rumor is potentially real though, Ford patent came out in March:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
exactly, although with regards to the ZO6 my latest sources tell me production units won't be out till summer

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Went to go check out the Ionic 5 at the nearest dealer and the only one they had, had been wrecked. Still had the delivery wrap on it, so like literally right off the truck it was crashed or was hit by something else. It had front and rear damage.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
While some of that is true, there's a few problems with that statement. There are zero emissions from that battery vs. what comes out of an ICE car. When you fill up with gas and use it, it is gone, while the battery can be continuously reused for roughly 10 years. The production of ALL vehicles, electric or not, utilize resources as well, except one results in no emissions generated directly by its use. Electricity can be generated by many other means besides gas, coal and oil. Water doesn't quite fit that since I would consider that a fairly green process since it is renewable. Nothing is truly green as some level of every industry relies on that of another which is not emission free or green. Does that mean we should just keep doing the same thing then? Because that does not seem to be working.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
While some of that is true, there's a few problems with that statement. There are zero emissions from that battery vs. what comes out of an ICE car. When you fill up with gas and use it, it is gone, while the battery can be continuously reused for roughly 10 years. The production of ALL vehicles, electric or not, utilize resources as well, except one results in no emissions generated directly by its use. Electricity can be generated by many other means besides gas, coal and oil. Water doesn't quite fit that since I would consider that a fairly green process since it is renewable. Nothing is truly green as some level of every industry relies on that of another which is not emission free or green. Does that mean we should just keep doing the same thing then? Because that does not seem to be working.
The gas is used by the vehicles that mined and carried the elements to the plant for processing into what we know as "batteries", We do the very same thing today for anything that is utilizing a battery. Saving the earth will not get in full swing until our manufacturing and production methods go totally green. Like you noted, nothing is truly green and I will add, it will never be truly green in our life time. Maybe our grand kids or their grand kids..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The gas is used by the vehicles that mined and carried the elements to the plant for processing into what we know as "batteries", We do the very same thing today for anything that is utilizing a battery. Saving the earth will not get in full swing until our manufacturing and production methods go totally green. Like you noted, nothing is truly green and I will add, it will never be truly green in our life time. Maybe our grand kids or their grand kids..
The delivery of all those electric vehicles is still done by a variety of diesel vehicles. I live just a few miles from Tesla and see their cars on delivery trucks all the time. Though Tesla's intent and one of the markets they are after is to electrify semi trucks.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The delivery of all those electric vehicles is still done by a variety of diesel vehicles. I live just a few miles from Tesla and see their cars on delivery trucks all the time. Though Tesla's intent and one of the markets they are after is to electrify semi trucks.
Well at least in the railroad sector we are at least 'halfway there', our locomotives are diesel/electric !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It won't take much for the EV DeLorean to eclipse the ICE version, it was an absolute turd.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here it comes Marty. Not sure the flux capacitor will be available as an add on item.
You can order flux capacitors from Amazon. I recommend avoiding the smaller keychain-ready size. Besides the obvious danger involved with carrying one in your pants pocket, it doesn't work as well on cars larger than a Fiat 500.
1649427194214.png

But no flux capacitor can work without a Mr. Fusion car charger … also available from Amazon.
1649427450079.png

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My only issue with this is that in the USA, about 40% of our power comes from renewables. 60% from non-renewables, mostly natural gas and coal.

Wind and water make up the majority of renewable energy, but others, like solar, continue to grow.

We definitely have a long way to go, but memes like this suggest it is all just stupid and worthless, when the exact opposite is true. Every small step we take towards an all electric ecosystem based upon renewables will have a major impact in the long term.

I can't imagine that my next vehicle won't be a hybrid at the very least, but I can see using a lower cost all electric as an option as well. Just something to get me to and from the office every single day. Maybe a 150 mile range would be sufficient in my life. I've really considered the Prius Prime (plugin hybrid) as a serious contender. I can charge it all day at work and charge it at night and may be able to avoid gas fill-ups almost entirely. Maybe as few as once a month, or less. That would be awesome!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We already own one hybrid and that's what we take on long road trips due to the great mileage. I figure EV is the way to go. People likely won't keep them for long duration like an ICE car, since tech will change quickly as EVs and the EV market are new. The incentives are still pretty good and as the infrastructure moves to support EVs, those will eventually go away. My commute is short and I can charge at work during the day.

I don't think anyone can deny the environmental impact we're having anymore. Everywhere in the world we can see the changes in extreme weather. It is clear we need to do something and it starts at an individual level.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
People likely won't keep them for long duration
I think if the charging stations were more available ( out of Fla) when we had our P1000 we most likely would have kept it even with the batt issues we had and It was a hoot to drive. I 'm am waiting list on the F150 EV long range , can't wait to drive it, should be an interesting experience.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well at least in the railroad sector we are at least 'halfway there', our locomotives are diesel/electric !
Well I just found out that the Union Pacific RR has placed an order for 20 battery powered electric locomotives. So there 'ya go we've come into the 21st Century ! FWIW they will switching locomotives to be used in yard service

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think if the charging stations were more available ( out of Fla) when we had our P1000 we most likely would have kept it even with the batt issues we had and It was a hoot to drive. I 'm am waiting list on the F150 EV long range , can't wait to drive it, should be an interesting experience.
We're definitely not there with charging stations. Even here where there are a large number of EVs, there are still not as many public charging stations as you would expect. That seems to be starting to change though, as EVGo and others are installing new ones all the time.

Now that Tesla is up and running in Austin, I would expect that area to increase in chargers too. Here, Tesla cut deals with local Targets and have installed big banks of superchargers. Unfortunately, not any of the ones near me yet.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis