cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for that info. I was wondering when the next shoe would drop.

I learned another fact. Tesla now has about 12,000 fast DC charge stations in North America. That's about 60% of all the fast DC chargers.
But its a long way from being supportive to the buyers of EV's. If you look at the cities on the Telsa website, there is minimal supercharge locations, still. I mean in my area, The are none around Ormond Beach, none around Flagler Beach and just one in the whole county. And with Ford going with the adapter, its just not enough.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree that more chargers are better, but when you had your Tesla, did you have a home charger, or did you rely on local fast DC chargers?

Also, now that there are CCS-to-Tesla adapters, you can charge any Tesla on a CCS-type fast DC charger with an adapter.

What's with the Tesla website? I searched Google Maps for "EV charger stations Ormond Beach, FL", and found these. Here are only the stations with fast DC chargers:

Tesla Supercharger
Gateway N Dr #2330
Daytona Beach, FL 32117
12 Tesla 250 kW stations

Tesla Supercharger
2500 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
12 Tesla 250 kW stations

Electrify America (at Walmart Supercenter)
1521 W Granada Blvd
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
4 CCS 350 kW and 7 CCS 150 kW chargers
use a CCS-to-Tesla adapter on chargers with a CCS plug

EVGo (at Volusia Mall)
1700 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
2 CCS 350 kW and 2 CCS 100 kW chargers

FPL Evolution Charging Station
1880 Checkered Flag Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
6 CCS 350 kW stations

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
And we can add polestar to the list:
Interesting that SAE is now writing some standards to include the NACS plugs/ports.

I wonder when VW/Audi will get on the NACS bandwagon, at least in North America? VW of America owns Electrify America, the largest CSS fast DC charger network competing with Tesla's Supercharger network.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to see a unified standard charging plug/port. No one wants another 'format war' like what happened for VCRs or DVDs in the past. I also wish one single standard was adapted world wide, but I can get along without it. I do recognize the highly unlikely possibility of any private EV owner shipping it from North America to Europe, or the opposite, just to travel.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I agree that more chargers are better, but when you had your Tesla, did you have a home charger, or did you rely on local fast DC chargers?

Also, now that there are CCS-to-Tesla adapters, you can charge any Tesla on a CCS-type fast DC charger with an adapter.

What's with the Tesla website? I searched Google Maps for "EV charger stations Ormond Beach, FL", and found these. Here are only the stations with fast DC chargers:

Tesla Supercharger
Gateway N Dr #2330
Daytona Beach, FL 32117
12 Tesla 250 kW stations

Tesla Supercharger
2500 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
12 Tesla 250 kW stations

Electrify America (at Walmart Supercenter)
1521 W Granada Blvd
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
4 CCS 350 kW and 7 CCS 150 kW chargers
use a CCS-to-Tesla adapter on chargers with a CCS plug

EVGo (at Volusia Mall)
1700 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
2 CCS 350 kW and 2 CCS 100 kW chargers

FPL Evolution Charging Station
1880 Checkered Flag Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
6 CCS 350 kW stations
Had the standard home charger. But these Supercharge stations noted above didn't exist until Dec 2022, long after I sold my S. Plus at the time I lived in Flagler County ( Palm Coast), we moved this March. and the only Supercharger we had access to in late 2020 was at the new Wawa. .

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Had the standard home charger. But these Supercharge stations noted above didn't exist until Dec 2022, long after I sold my S. Plus at the time I lived in Flagler County ( Palm Coast), we moved this March. and the only Supercharger we had access to in late 2020 was at the new Wawa. .
So charging when you were near home was not a problem. But charging on a road trip could be, depending on where you traveled. I think I remember you talking about that … much earlier in this thread. Thanks for clarifying.

Charger availability may have significantly improved in the past year or two – or I've been lucky on my 2 road trips.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So charging when you were near home was not a problem. But charging on a road trip could be, depending on where you traveled. I think I remember you talking about that … much earlier in this thread. Thanks for clarifying.

Charger availability may have significantly improved in the past year or two – or I've been lucky on my 2 road trips.
We would still have the S if there would have been more Superchargers on the road ( i-95 and I-26 and Hwy 378) when the wife made her trips up to Lexington SC. But back then she couldn't make on a charge while driving highway speeds ( her lexus ( 450 mile range with her foot application of the pedal) would make it all the way and have plenty of gas left to drive around for a week around town.) . Plus she hates to stop except for a bathroom break. Now there is a charger location on I-26 Orangeburg, Columbia and also in Lexington. But the wife noted, we will wait till the S is pushing more mileage before we buy another or a different EV make.

On another note: A lot of customers are canceling the F150's Lightning orders ( reservations) due to the price increases . The base model started out at $40k but it jumped to over $60k with the long range model going over $89k and they removed a bunch of options like bed scales, heated steering wheel, and more.” People bailed and it was one of the EV's I was seriously looking at.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The grid sorely needs updating along with an adoption (so I hope) of SMR's (small modular reactors)..........

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Fla Power and Light is introducing a new tool to find charging stations across Fl. It’s an interactive road-trip planning tool from Florida Power & Light called EV Expressway that helps you find hundreds of fast charging stations along major roadways across the state. But its not very accurate, as its omitting a few Tesla Supercharge locations around my area . The Wawa ( Tesla) on st road 100 Palm Coast and the Tesla Chargers at the St Augustine Outlet mall off of I-95. It was an effort, but they could have put a little more effort and got more updated data, and not just used their chargers. Kinda half-assed.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Fla Power and Light is introducing a new tool to find charging stations across Fl. It’s an interactive road-trip planning tool from Florida Power & Light called EV Expressway that helps you find hundreds of fast charging stations along major roadways across the state. But its not very accurate, as its omitting a few Tesla Supercharge locations around my area . The Wawa ( Tesla) on st road 100 Palm Coast and the Tesla Chargers at the St Augustine Outlet mall off of I-95. It was an effort, but they could have put a little more effort and got more updated data, and not just used their chargers. Kinda half-assed.
The last thing an EV owner needs is yet another software app to find places to charge up while on the road. I've got 4 apps that already do that (Google Maps built into my EV, Electrify America, ChargePoint, and PlugShare. They all have their good points & blind spots. It took me some time before I learned enough of their faults before I became good at finding charge up places on the road. I suspect that Google Maps is much better at getting data updates than any state, including Florida.

Florida does seem to have an strangely different, and kind of half-assed, way of doing things with highways. They built a whole lot of new highways most of which were toll roads. And Florida went out of its way to use a unique electronic toll-paying system that wasn't compatible with the EZ Pass system, widely used in many east coast states. What an unnecessary pain in the butt that was! The last time I drove a car in Florida was in 2014 – I doubt if I'll do that again.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The last thing an EV owner needs is yet another software app to find places to charge up while on the road. I've got 4 apps that already do that (Google Maps built into my EV, Electrify America, ChargePoint, and PlugShare. They all have their good points & blind spots. It took me some time before I learned enough of their faults before I became good at finding charge up places on the road. I suspect that Google Maps is much better at getting data updates than any state, including Florida.

Florida does seem to have an strangely different, and kind of half-assed, way of doing things with highways. They built a whole lot of new highways most of which were toll roads. And Florida went out of its way to use a unique electronic toll-paying system that wasn't compatible with the EZ Pass system, widely used in many east coast states. What an unnecessary pain in the butt that was! The last time I drove a car in Florida was in 2014 – I doubt if I'll do that again.
Well the Fla Turnpike now accepts EZ PASS, and all the toll around Orlando and all toll roads in Fla and other states. Lot has changed since 2014. NOw backwards TX is another story as EZpass is not accepted there.

of note " To name a few popular ones, E-ZPass, SunPass Pro, E-Pass Xtra and Uni are accepted in 18 of the most toll troubled states on east coasts including New York, Florida and Pennsylvania. While TxTag, K-TAG and PIKE PASS are valid across Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma. "

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The grid sorely needs updating along with an adoption (so I hope) of SMR's (small modular reactors)..........

You're not kidding. I wonder if the frequency rolling brown outs in California have increased since the roll out EVs. This is a problem in both the US and Canada. Until the infrastructure becomes more robust, I will go half way only with a hybrid.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You're not kidding. I wonder if the frequency rolling brown outs in California have increased since the roll out EVs. This is a problem in both the US and Canada. Until the infrastructure becomes more robust, I will go half way only with a hybrid.
It probably happens with high outdoor temperatures when air-conditioning is full blast, I would think.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This old argument for nuclear reactors as a carbon-free source of electricity keeps coming back. Yes, it generates no carbon dioxide, but it's as bad an idea now as it was 40-50 years ago.
  • These newly designed reactors may actually be much less failure prone than those older models. But that's irrelevant, all reactors generate radioactive waste.

• What stopped development of the nuclear power industry was politics. No one wants the highly radioactive waste material that all nuclear reactors generate buried in their state. No one could be elected governor of any state who proposed storing radioactive waste in his state. What was literally radioactive became politically radioactive. This is still true today, and that article ignored the subject.

• Never trust Oliver Stone's opinion on this subject. He may know about making movies, but on most or all other subjects, he's best ignored.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I was born and have been living most of my life in the greater Montreal area, and in my whole life I've never experienced any brownout. Are you mixing up power outages and brownouts? Actually, I've never heard of brownouts occurring in Quebec.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Can't remember our last brownout in Fl. But the largest blackout in Fla history was 1985. May 17 -- Most of South Florida was blacked out after a brush fire in the Everglades damaged overhead transmission lines. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and the Florida Keys lost power for about 3.5 hours. About 4.5 million people were affected.

But we have our Hurricane power outages that impact millions. So I guess that makes up for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis