Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The adapter I have from Tesla, still unopened with my front license plate frame, is a j1772 to nacs plug. If I were to go road tripping, it would behoove me to get a CCS1-NACS adapter just in case. Tesla sells one for $175, and looks like Amazon has one for ~100.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter
From what I've seen on my two road trips north & south on the east coast, there seem to be more Tesla Supercharger stations than Fast DC chargers for CCS use, mainly Electrify America. Despite that, I've had no difficulty finding what I need. If & when I get access to all those Tesla stations, I'll benefit more than Tesla owners will from Electrify America stations. As usual, YMMV.

The first night I was in Winston-Salem, I charged up using my friend's 240V 50A tap that he had recently installed in his carport. (He doesn't own an EV now but got the tap while he had other electrical work done.) That was the first time I used the portable charger supplied with the EV.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What about this one

That lets Tesla owners charge up with a CCS1 (non-Tesla) Fast DC charger, such as at Electrify America. I want an adapter for non-Tesla EVs to charge up at a Tesla Supercharger station.

It takes a lot of words to talk about all these adapters. It's like having both metric and SAE tools.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Can other cars use Tesla chargers? You need the app, would that not be tied to a car? I was talking to a guy who traded his Model 3 for an Ionic 6 and he said other cars cannot use Tesla chargers regardless of adapter.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can other cars use Tesla chargers? You need the app, would that not be tied to a car? I was talking to a guy who traded his Model 3 for an Ionic 6 and he said other cars cannot use Tesla chargers regardless of adapter.
Tesla Wall Chargers or the Superchargers?

I can't say with certainty, but it looked like when I was setting up the Wall Charger I have that it is meant to be used only for Tesla and I would need to replace it if I left the Tesla ecosystem for another EV company. (I can also lock the charger to only charge my Tesla and none other without my unlocking it.)
But Teslas can charge on non-tesla Home chargers just fine. I'm certain there are exceptions that might create a hiccough in compatibility or ease of use...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, the other way around. CCS1 cars cannot use Tesla chargers?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Right. In addition to the right plug hardware, you need the right app on your phone. Getting the app & software should be easier than getting the plug hardware. To use Electrify America Fast DC chargers, I downloaded their free app and opened an account with them. I assume Tesla is making their app available for Ford, GM & Rivian owners, who can then open accounts.

But all this varies depending on if we're talking about a 240V 50A AC (Level 2) charger at home (or away from home), or a Fast DC (Level 3) charger available only on the road. I've seen adapters that would let me charge my J1772/CCS car with a Tesla (NACS) Level 2 charger. But, the last time I looked, there is no adapter I can buy that allows me to charge my EV using a Tesla Supercharger (NACS Level 3) Fast DC charger. And it would be useless without Tesla's app.

I told you this makes talking about metric or SAE tools seem like child's play. It's like explaining RCA plugs, optical cables, HDMI plugs, or speaker banana plugs to someone new to audio :confused:.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would truly be surprised if the adapter you need isn't available within the next month... 2 at most. This is a pretty recent change which was seemingly somewhat forced by the tax incentives earlier this year. Now that companies are adopting the NACS Standard, there is a market for the adapter. where there is a market, product will soon follow.

I thought I had seen/read somewhere that the Supercharger itself will need to be refitted to offer both options not just rely on consumers having their own adapter. *shrugs
Heading out so no time for me to google it right now. *blushes

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would truly be surprised if the adapter you need isn't available within the next month... 2 at most. This is a pretty recent change which was seemingly somewhat forced by the tax incentives earlier this year. Now that companies are adopting the NACS Standard, there is a market for the adapter. where there is a market, product will soon follow.
Agreed. I'm just thinking ahead, or jumping the gun. Take your pick.
I thought I had seen/read somewhere that the Supercharger itself will need to be refitted to offer both options not just rely on consumers having their own adapter.
Does that mean each Supercharger stand will have 2 cables, one with an NACS plug, and the other with a CCS plug? I hadn't thought of that, but it may make more sense than another adapter.

It's a rainy day, and I've got nothing better to do than obsess over how complex this gets. This table shows the 6 different cases for charging, even though I doubt if many people still use Level 1 chargers.
1687380482327.png

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, thank god when I filled up my X5 this morning I only had one 'nozzle' to deal with ! ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, thank god when I filled up my X5 this morning I only had one 'nozzle' to deal with ! ;)
Remember back in the day when there was an unleaded and a "regular" nozzle? I was still a kid...

And now regular means the lower-octane unleaded instead of super and ultimate or whatever the hell they want to call them. :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
To use a Supercharger, non-Tesla owners first need to download the Tesla App (version 4.18.0 or higher) for iOS or Android, create a profile, and add a payment method. The app enables you to locate a charger that is available with the Magic Dock CCS adaptor. That adaptor lets a non Telsa use a Supercharger.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Remember back in the day when there was an unleaded and a "regular" nozzle? I was still a kid...
ahhhh yes, remember it well !

And now regular means the lower-octane unleaded instead of super and ultimate or whatever the hell they want to call them. :p
back in the Texaco days we had 'Sky Chief' and 'Super Chief' !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The adapters are coming. ;)
Apparently (if I understand things correctly) any EV can now charge up at a Tesla Supercharger. I can do it now if I want. Several things are needed:
  1. Download the latest version of Tesla's app for your smart phone. I looked it up and found it on the App Store. Set up a new account, specify your EV, and enter credit card info for payment. Easy enough.

2. Telsa is in the process of modifying it's charging towers to add, more power, longer cables, and something called Magic Dock. It's a built-in adapter that converts the standard Tesla charger handle to become a CCS1 plug, such as I need for my Volvo. (I wish Tesla hadn't used a trademarked buzzword for this important feature. I usually ignore buzzwords as meaningless salesman jargon.)
Right now, there are probably only a few sites with these Magic Docks. Within a year there should be many more. I finally realized all this when I read this:
When the Magic Dock is locked, the station can be used normally by any Tesla owner, but when it is unlocked through Tesla’s app, both the charger and the Magic Dock get pulled along with the Tesla Supercharger handle to become a CCS adapter – allowing it to be plugged into most electric vehicles.
No NACS-to-CCS adapter is needed – it's built into the Tesla charging tower :). I had previously thought I would have to buy my own adapter.

@ryanosaur and @cpp – You both tried to explain this to me, but yesterday I was too dense to get it. It took me a day. Thanks :)

The linked article also discussed how some EVs have charging port locations different enough from Tesla's to require longer cables or some 'creative parking'. I think I'm OK because Volvo's charging port is on the driver's side rear quarter, similar to Tesla's.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yesterday, while stopped to charge up, I did see a Rivian pick-up for the first time. It had 4 doors and a covered bed in the back. I thought it was boring looking – boring features and boring charcoal gray color. Maybe boring to me, but probably not to most pick up truck owners.

Can you charge up your Tesla Y at a non-Tesla fast charger? Is there an adapter for that?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Since Tesla took off with their own "Standard" the North American Charging Standard (NACS). And you have CCS which started overseas by German Engineers ( supported by Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen support) IN the first qtr of this year, both Ford and General Motors announced that they would transition their North American EV lines from CCS1 to the NACS charge connector beginning with the 2025 model year. Just a confusing mess for EV would be owners and current owners. And note, the NACS is not even a real standard as its not recognized by the Standards bodies such as ISO, IEC, and/or SAE.

If the World wants to go to a EV world there needs to be standards, plain and simple. Sure Biden in Feb took off on an attempt at a charging standard with Govt support" but was limited to US manufactured cars and still no real charging standard. Its just building charging stations.
  • The Department of Transportation, in partnership with the Department of Energy, finalized new standards to make charging EVs convenient and reliable for all Americans, including when driving long distances. The new standards will ensure everyone can use the network – no matter what car you drive or which state you charge in. The standards also require strong workforce standards; "" Called " Made in America Policies and New Technical Standards Support the Future of the Electric Vehicle Charging Industry, ?, but it limits the manufacturers of cars we import from other countries.
  • Federal Highway Administration ; Effective immediately, all EV chargers funded through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law must be built in the United States.
  • Under FHWA’s new standards, we are fixing this. The standards will ensure that:
    • Charging is a predictable and reliable experience, by ensuring that there are consistent plug types, power levels, and a minimum number of chargers capable of supporting drivers’ fast charging needs;
    • Chargers are working when drivers need them to, by requiring a 97 percent uptime reliability requirement;
    • Drivers can easily find a charger when they need to, by providing publicly accessible data on locations, price, availability, and accessibility through mapping applications;
    • Drivers do not have to use multiple apps and accounts to charge, by requiring that a single method of identification works across all chargers; and,
    • Chargers will support drivers’ needs well into the future, by requiring compatibility with forward-looking capabilities like Plug and Charge.
  • Hertz and bp are announcing their intention to build out a national network of EV fast charging infrastructure
  • Pilot Company, General Motors, and EVgo have partnered to build a coast-to-coast network of 2,000 high power 350 kW fast chargers at Pilot and Flying J travel centers along American highways.
    • TravelCenters of America and Electrify America announced that they will offer electric vehicle charging at select Travel Centers of America and Petro locations, with a goal of installing approximately 1,000 EV chargers at 200 locations along major highways over the next five years.
    • Mercedes-Benz, ChargePoint, and MN8 Energy announced a partnership to deploy over 400 charging hubs with more than 2,500 publicly accessible DC fast charging ports across the U.S. and Canada.
    • ChargePoint, Volvo Cars, and Starbucks announced a partnership to deploy 60 DC fast chargers at up to 15 locations along the 1,350-mile pilot route between Seattle and Denver to be completed by summer 2023.
  • General Motors, in partnership with FLO, has announced a collaborative effort with dealers to install up to 40,000 public Level 2 EV chargers in local communities by 2026 through GM’s Dealer Community Charging Program
    • Ford has committed to installing at least one public-facing DC Fast charger with two ports at 1,920 Ford dealerships by January 2024.
But not a word as yet on what happens when an import built in another country comes in,. Most likely these cars will come with two types of adapters, one to fit US requirements and one to fit Euro requirements

Now the Govt needs to address, the outdated power grid system in this country. I can see it now. All along I-95 and I-10 and I-75 a black out and some EV's are left dead in the water. A good ex: In September 2022, heat waves taxed the grid to such an extent that alerts went out calling for residents to cut electricity use including charging their EVs, to prevent outages. And just think when the EV semi's start rolling, City and County Fleets, Power Company Fleets all charging all the time. Oh the future !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis