Dolby Atmos For Home Theater Explained

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah. Even if it works perfectly, the real question is, do people care. :D

The most important channel of all is the center channel. That is the one channel we hear people complain the most.

The other thing people complain about is the lack of bass in some systems (commercial and home).

So people seem to care a lot about having clearer more intelligible dialogue channel and better bass.

Do people care as much about cooler surround effects to spend more money on?

So I think the issue is not so much whether ATMOS works, but whether people care enough about better surround effects.

For example, if people don't care for better bass, they won't buy better subs, etc.
Intelligible dialogue that's huge for my household. And then do people really want to pay the price to completely take advantage of it, like new Atmos capable speakers and electronics. I guess if people care all depends on if a person really enjoys their movie experience

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Intelligible dialogue that's huge for my household. And then do people really want to pay the price to completely take advantage of it, like new Atmos capable speakers and electronics. I guess if people care all depends on if a person really enjoys their movie experience
People will love their movie experiences as long as the movies are great and there are no distractions. :D

ATMOS isn't going to make bad movies any more enjoyable. :D

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys I just came up with an Atmos Ready speaker concept while making pancakes this morning. I wrote up an article about it and its under peer right now. I think it will definitely generate some discussion on the forum once I publish. I just hope to avoid some of the flames in the process ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Guys I just came up with an Atmos Ready speaker concept while making pancakes this morning. I wrote up an article about it and its under peer right now. I think it will definitely generate some discussion on the forum once I publish. I just hope to avoid some of the flames in the process ;)
Mmmm pancakes :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard that's how the brilliant speaker designers get their idea, it's all in the food, :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
People will love their movie experiences as long as the movies are great and there are no distractions. :D

ATMOS isn't going to make bad movies any more enjoyable. :D
No distractions, where's the fun :D

ATMOS isn't going to make bad movies any more enjoyable.
bad movies are just plain bad movies and nothing is going to make them enjoyable, unless your watching the movies with a group of Professional Football Cheerleaders , that could make it very enjoyable :D , what's movies I ask :rolleyes:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Top surface of Atmos Speaker

Guys;

Can you please closely examine the top surface of the new Pioneer speakers and correct me if I am wrong in that it appears to be a flat surface with the driver also being flush up against the surface and not angled.

That being the case, how are the "Beams" of sound projecting off-axis like shown in this diagram and not just simply going straight up? I posed this question to Pioneer and hope they answer but the diagrams to me imply the top mounted drivers are angled which means there will be separate left/right speakers.

Attachments

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Notice the Atmos driver is BW limited to 180Hz.
They are likely trying to stay above the resonance of drywall. Depending on the stud distances, thickness, etc. it varies, but, I think its generally between 70-120Hz.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
Guys;

Can you please closely examine the top surface of the new Pioneer speakers and correct me if I am wrong in that it appears to be a flat surface with the driver also being flush up against the surface and not angled.

That being the case, how are the "Beams" of sound projecting off-axis like shown in this diagram and not just simply going straight up? I posed this question to Pioneer and hope they answer but the diagrams to me imply the top mounted drivers are angled which means there will be separate left/right speakers.
Angled for sure.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Guys;

Gene they are flat as a pancake on the top of the towers. Not angled. SP-EFS73 - Dolby Atmos[SUP]®[/SUP] enabled Elite[SUP]®[/SUP] Concentric Floorstanding Speakers designed by Andrew Jones | Pioneer Electronics USA

I just don't see how their going to work ( of course I never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on speaker design ) if there is no angle for the sound to reflect out from the ceiling and out to the listening position. In the Pioneer diagram on the link I note, it sure looks like an angled top driver but the actual picture of the speaker is flat.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Beams on angles..

The actual design of their tops:

The Pioneer SP-EFS73 and Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR seem to have this arrangement.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Gene they are flat as a pancake on the top of the towers. Not angled. SP-EFS73 - Dolby Atmos[SUP]®[/SUP] enabled Elite[SUP]®[/SUP] Concentric Floorstanding Speakers designed by Andrew Jones | Pioneer Electronics USA

I just don't see how their going to work ( of course I never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express on speaker design ) if there is no angle for the sound to reflect out from the ceiling and out to the listening position. In the Pioneer diagram on the link I note, it sure looks like an angled top driver but the actual picture of the speaker is flat.
They are on an angle. If you look at a side view it's clear to see the back to front slope

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Guys;

I looked as carefully as possible on the site and they appear to be the same coax-driver flush mounted vertically.
It is possible that there is an angle, but it would have to be very slight. Certainly, nothing like the image where the drivers are shooting overhead to bounce down in the proper location. That artists rendition looks a bit um...embellished.

The Ceiling channels are bound to make the sound more expansive. However, I seriously doubt that the a x.x.2 system will sound overhead. It judiciously used and not overhead, I expect it to be a distraction: why is the sound coming from over there?...Oh, yeah.

Atmos Gen-1 is boiling down to some number of objects mapped into to 2 to 4 ceiling channels. The sound positioning is fixed. There is no mapping the sound onto the actual speaker locations as in a theater. It seems like a hell of a lot of processing power to throw at 4 ceiling channels. Hopefully, more is planned. No upscale HT will use reflective speakers.

Will a sales-person tell the buyer, that unless you get ceiling channels, there is no advantage to Atmos?
I think they are running a big risk here. In just a month, we have gone for a complete revolution in home theater sound to 2 to 4 ceiling channels in mainstream systems. This does not feel market driven, it feels like a product that had lofty goals that were pulled back.

I wonder if it would have been better fully support object based sound in BD 4K (maybe that is planned). Then both it could contain *revolutionaly* picture and surround-sound quality. If Dolby does not watch out, DTS will be the object based solution for 4K BD. ;) A royalty free open platform will win out if sufficiently powerful DSP's become ubiquitous.

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
They are likely trying to stay above the resonance of drywall. Depending on the stud distances, thickness, etc. it varies, but, I think its generally between 70-120Hz.

No it's likely to reduce the omnidirectional properties of the woofer which in this case is up to 400Hz or so. Less than ideal for sure.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
When looking at the pdf brochure in the manual section the pioneer website, it still appears sloped

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Atmos Gen-1 is boiling down to some number of objects mapped into to 2 to 4 ceiling channels. The sound positioning is fixed. There is no mapping the sound onto the actual speaker locations as in a theater. It seems like a hell of a lot of processing power to throw at 4 ceiling channels. Hopefully, more is planned. No upscale HT will use reflective speakers.
This was posted over on AVS:

Close. The objects will be rendered into the room using all of the speakers. The ceiling channels are needed to be able to to render in x, y and z axes, but all of the speakers (5.1.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 etc.) will be in use to render the objects.
- Rich

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Heh, could always mount speakers on some C-stands haha..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis