Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Good review Gene. I have the AVP/POA combo and they sound excellent. I sold my Anthem D1 to buy the Denon. I don't regret my decision. I owned the Krell S1000 for a short time, but sent it back. No comparison to the Denon. I haven't had any problems with the head room that you did.

Gene thomas
Hi Gene!:) Glad to have you here!

Count me as another SUPER happy AVP owner! And as was mentioned, you are one of the very fortunate to also own the POA. I am sooo jealous!;)

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Has anyone (Gene or Seth, and maybe someone else who has this thing) tried using the 2 HDMI monitor out ports and successfully displayed two images?

I worked at it for a solid hour and a half tonight:mad: with absolutely no luck, and an eventual Blue Screen of Death:eek:. Any help would be wonderful. Please message me privately so as to not bog down the thread with this stuff (unless of course you find it imperative to do so).
Sorry but I have not tried connecting both HDMI outs to see if I do get two images. I know other AVP owners that I believe have tried this. I will ask and see what they say and will let you know what I find out.:)

Seth

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure the AVP is the same as the 5308CI in regards to it's dual HDMI outputs.
The 5308 has three different settings for HDMI output, 1,2 & Auto.
I've tried Auto mode but with my particular setup, one display that doesn't accept 1080p/24 (the other does) the HDMI output of the 5308 is limited to the lesser display abilities. So I don't use the Auto mode.
Since I never watch both displays at once this is not an issue for me.
Now if one had two displays of equal capabilities and the need for simultaneous outputs, the Auto mode would/could do the trick without sacrificing resolution on either display.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Has anyone (Gene or Seth, and maybe someone else who has this thing) tried using the 2 HDMI monitor out ports and successfully displayed two images?

I worked at it for a solid hour and a half tonight:mad: with absolutely no luck, and an eventual Blue Screen of Death:eek:. Any help would be wonderful. Please message me privately so as to not bog down the thread with this stuff (unless of course you find it imperative to do so).
Well so far anyway, I have not received any replies about this from other AVP owners. Have you had any luck getting it to work?

Seth

I have successfully gotten dual HDMI outs to work on two 1080p displays. The only glitch is that the displays flicker during any transition from HD to SD (think cable box source).

I am still playing with how to get audio through the HDMI in the living room while my AVR-5308CI pulls it off the theater room.

S

stenvik

Audiophyte
It seems realta chip on mine avp has died, firmware number on realta shows: FFFFFF. Scaling on mine avp has been unstable since first day, believed this was due to handshaking problems. Actually realta must have died before last firmware upgrade. the last download took 61 minute, a few days later I ran update process and it found an realta firmware update 26 minute but it hangs through update process timer decreases after some long time but 00% doesn't change. When turn on i/p scaler to A to H on net/usb or A to H & H to H on dvd source it post to signal on hdmi to tv.

By this conclusion must be that realta chip must be dead. AVP hasn't posted any error message due to this.

E

EricBergan

Audiophyte
Enhancement requests?

Gene,

First, thanks for setting this up (and Seth, thanks for point it out on!), and offering to relay information to/from Denon.

The only real bug I've found to date is with the NET/Media server stuff. I have some pretty large (>2500 track) playlists, and they seem to make the thing hang - end up getting an ---empty--- when it should be showing playlists.

On the enhancement request side, I'd like to see them provide more configuration access on the video side. I'd like to me able to do more aspect ratio mapping (to expand letterbox embedded in 4:3), and also currently brightness is a 0 and can only be increased, I'd like to be able to decrease it.

Of course, a rewrite of the manual, explaining setting values rather than just listing them, would be nice. Personally, more detail about the video DNR and "Enhancer" settings would be nice. What types of algorithms, do they work at all resolutions, etc.

In the "it would be nice" column, it would be great if we could get the Audyssey curves to display on the web client.

Thanks again!

eric

progprog

progprog

Enthusiast
Gene,

First, thanks for setting this up (and Seth, thanks for point it out on!), and offering to relay information to/from Denon.
Of course, a rewrite of the manual, explaining setting values rather than just listing them, would be nice. Personally, more detail about the video DNR and "Enhancer" settings would be nice. What types of algorithms, do they work at all resolutions, etc.

eric
I concur on Eric's entire wish list, but none so much as better documentation. Just listing complex options without no explanation whatsoever regarding what they do makes set-up far more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Hi,
Thanks for setting this up as an owner of the AVP/POA this is another site that I will visit very frequently.Thankyou Seth for making me aware of the site and it's good to know that is help a hand when we need it.

Thanks again

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
You know what will be nice also for an upgrade will be a Vertical Stretch for 2:35:1 movies.Imagine the savings:D

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Gene,

The only real bug I've found to date is with the NET/Media server stuff. I have some pretty large (>2500 track) playlists, and they seem to make the thing hang - end up getting an ---empty--- when it should be showing playlists.

On the enhancement request side, I'd like to see them provide more configuration access on the video side. I'd like to me able to do more aspect ratio mapping (to expand letterbox embedded in 4:3), and also currently brightness is a 0 and can only be increased, I'd like to be able to decrease it.

In the "it would be nice" column, it would be great if we could get the Audyssey curves to display on the web client.

Thanks again!

eric
I concur on Eric's entire wish list, but none so much as better documentation. Just listing complex options without no explanation whatsoever regarding what they do makes set-up far more cumbersome than it needs to be.
Hi,
Thanks for setting this up as an owner of the AVP/POA this is another site that I will visit very frequently.Thankyou Seth for making me aware of the site and it's good to know that is help a hand when we need it.

Thanks again
Hi guys,

Great to have you join in here.;)

You're welcome, I want all us AVP owners to have the best information resources available. And a BIG thanks to Gene for starting this very useful thread. So nice to have another excellent resource for AVP/POA owners.:)

Seth

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
One thing i would love to know will there be any addtional rumoured updates apart from the new audyssey that denon will be looking at?

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Well it looks like the newest firmware update was not quite ready for prime time. A number of AVP owners both here and in Europe have experienced some serious issues after installing/attempting the update. Here are some that were presented to me on AVS.

That last firmware update really sucked. They really need to test the firmware updates better before releasing them.

My AVP's wireless would not work after the update. After a couple of hours of debugging and reading here, I did a microprocessor reset. I tried uploading the previous config, then the wireless info. No Joy. I then did another reset, then tried to reload a different previous saved config. No Joy.

I finally did a 3rd reset and Manually entered every f$%ing parameter back in. Who knows if I missed anything. Between the audio settings, video, numerous source settings, etc. it takes a while. Even just putting in the wireless password and Rhapsody account took forever using this POS interface.

At one point, I had a wired internet connection to the AVP, and tried entering the Rhapsody account info. The AVP seemed to accept it in the Web interface, but it never got stored in the settings.

With previous PRepros, I would put my settings in a spreadsheet so that if something like this happened, I could reload the settings. I didn't this time, because the Denon can save the config. Who woulda thought you can't reload the settings when you really need it???

In all, this upgrade cost me a good six to seven hours of my time, at least. I hope the Denon engineers heard me cursing them, every keystroke of the way. For a few days there, it was like I had my POS Halcro back.

Seth,

Feel free to add mine, to the list of Prepros that Denon hosed with their firmware update.

Darrell
Lots of bugs have been reported in the first post of the thread Denon 3808/4308/5308 Firmware Tracking Thread

About the last AVR-5803CI / AVC-A1HD and AVP-A1HDCI / AVP-A1HD firmware update (June 16th) the list is :

In Net Audio Web page control the Internet radio no change when song changes on most stations. You can press the left arrow, wait a few seconds, and it will then show the current song track playing.
When a song is paused, browsing music server or USB folders behaves erratically. Should either browse correctly or not allow browsing when song is paused. Do not pause a song and browse music server or USB folders.
Receiver continues to display album art image with screen saver turned on and active.
When power on and go to NET/USB, AVC-A1HD often displays “Please wait….” (on both front panel and screen) forever. Need to press a cursor key in order to get the NET/USB screen (and it prints the favorites screen)
Owner reports losing Audyssey configuration after update.
Would you please forward it to Audioholics and Danon ?

Thank you very much.
AVP update woes

After successfully (based on no error messages!) performing the most recent firmware update, I can no longer connect wirelessly using WEP encryption. If I turn off all security features, I can get on, but that's living too much on the wild side for me. There are two other wireless clients on my network, one a Squeezebox in the same room, and they are fine. The AVP can see my SSID if I allow broadcast. I have tried different key values. I have a service chain running on the Denon support site, no help so far. By the way, the digital audio problem wasn't helped by the new firmware, either.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yikes! I cannot get on Net Radio at all since the update. Tomorrow I am doing the Podcast with Denon and will bring this up then. Thanks for posting this Seth.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Well it looks like the newest firmware update was not quite ready for prime time. A number of AVP owners both here and in Europe have experienced some serious issues after installing/attempting the update. Here are some that were presented to me on AVS.
I dont use my wireless nor net radio at all I guess thats why I have not reported a problem.I think there first port of call is to address and test all upcoming updates and test the machines thouroughly before even letting us update them.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Yikes! I cannot get on Net Radio at all since the update. Tomorrow I am doing the Podcast with Denon and will bring this up then. Thanks for posting this Seth.
You're welcome. And thank all of you AVP owners from AVS for letting me know about these issues.;)

And thank you Gene for having this thread and for relaying this info to Denon.:) Hopefully they will address these issues soon.

Seth

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
I dont use my wireless nor net radio at all I guess thats why I have not reported a problem.I think there first port of call is to address and test all upcoming updates and test the machines thouroughly before even letting us update them.
I totally agree Frank, Denon needs to make sure these updates are issue free before releasing them. So far I have not done any updates to my AVP, and all is well. Once the Audyssey Dynamic Volume is available I hope they have gotten the whole update problem ironed out.

Seth

M

MrSTi

Audiophyte
First i must say thanks to Gene for the great review. With that review it is making my up-coming purchase of the AVP/POA that more exciting for me. Plus i'm someone who is coming from mid-range Yamaha gear RX-V2090 and more recently the RX-V1700, so i guess i'm in for a world of happiness:D.

Also thanks to Franin who pointed to wards AVS and the helpful guys there and lastly but not least to Seth in forwarding us to here @ Audioholics and helping with getting issues across that affect some.

One thing i have noticed but haven't seen brought up is the problems people are having seem to affect the US guys more (on the firmware front) as the Euro based ones seemed to have unfortunately had parts/processors etc. break, fail on them. The few Aussie guys that own the AVP haven't mentioned any problems as of yet with updating (mind you there is literally only a few of us).

Thanks Again,

Scott

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
First i must say thanks to Gene for the great review. With that review it is making my up-coming purchase of the AVP/POA that more exciting for me. Plus i'm someone who is coming from mid-range Yamaha gear RX-V2090 and more recently the RX-V1700, so i guess i'm in for a world of happiness:D.

Also thanks to Franin who pointed to wards AVS and the helpful guys there and lastly but not least to Seth in forwarding us to here @ Audioholics and helping with getting issues across that affect some.

One thing i have noticed but haven't seen brought up is the problems people are having seem to affect the US guys more (on the firmware front) as the Euro based ones seemed to have unfortunately had parts/processors etc. break, fail on them. The few Aussie guys that own the AVP haven't mentioned any problems as of yet with updating (mind you there is literally only a few of us).

Thanks Again,

Scott
Very cool to have you join us here.:) And thanks for the kind words.;)

Here's hoping that these issues get addressed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis