Pre Review Denon AVP-A1HDCI & POA-A1HDCI Separates Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ugly yes but a 20 year warranty is just unbeatble no matter how ugly it looks
True. True. I agree.

I do admire Bryston, and I do like Bryston a lot for their performance, reliability, and 20-yr warranty. I just wish they look more like Mark Levinson or Krell.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Update: I got my second pre/pro sample and so far it works flawlessly. I am in the process of collecting my test data to begin my review.

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Update: I got my second pre/pro sample and so far it works flawlessly. I am in the process of collecting my test data to begin my review.
Very cool gene, happy to hear that the new one so far is working flawlessly. Thanks for sharing.:) We are all really looking forward to your upcoming review. I know that I am loving my AVP, It's awesome!:D

Seth

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Were you able to pull a 120 amperes out of this beast? If so, you must have had to modifiy the electrical circuit to support such a current draw since most circuit breakers pop open at 15 amps, and a stove around 30 amps.
You cannot compare the 120A output to the 120V 15 amp circuit protected by a circuit breaker for several reasons, the main ones being:

1. The 120A quoted is on the amp output side, the voltage there could be much lower than 120V.

2. The 120A number is an instantaneous rating, the 15A you mentioned is a continuous rating, huge difference.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Just want to update here on the Marantz.. here is the new remote control for it as pictured

A

arthurvino

Audiophyte
Nice review, Gene!

Is pre-pro review around the corner?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice review, Gene!

Is pre-pro review around the corner?
In about 2-3 weeks. The first unit Denon sent me was a lemon so it held me back a bit. Also this review is even more involving than the amp review as I want to include a lot of test data.

A

arthurvino

Audiophyte
Nice..
review on the podcast maybe as well?
:D

In about 2-3 weeks. The first unit Denon sent me was a lemon so it held me back a bit. Also this review is even more involving than the amp review as I want to include a lot of test data.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Now that would be a nice idea!!!
Podcast reviews.
That is a superb idea. I just got my podcast equipment and I will begin doing that on key reviews. I LOVE IT!

A

arthurvino

Audiophyte
Definitely would love to hear reviews in the podcasts...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Any chance of video reviews? I like looking at the measurements, but I like drooling over the equipment even more. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I like the podcasts, but the audio level is too inconsistent for me to be able to listen to it. I listen to it at work on my computer speakers, and can't constantly be adjusting the volume level. Sometimes it's just right, then it's quiet so I turn it up, then all of a sudden it's too loud. I would think that audioholics of all people would be able to keep the volume levels a bit more consistent. I would really enjoy listening to product review podcasts, and even more of the AV rants, but the volume thing for me is the only thing stopping me.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Not sure when the last time you listened was but I can't explain the problems you are having. Each person is level matched individually and has dynamic compression applied. During the first few episodes I was working the kinks out but you shouldn't have had any problems like this in the last 70 or so episodes. The only difference between us and other podcasts is that they mix down to mono and we maintain stereo to give a bit wider soundstage. This puts me a little more in your left ear and clint/dina/j more in the right. Perhaps if the podcast is being listened to one speaker somehow that might explain it. Not that I can imagine why that would be the case. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The AVP-A1HDCI review has been posted:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/processors/denon-avp-a1hdci

I will likely Podcast a review of it soon. I am starting to organize my program material for the bi monthly show I will be hosting.
A most excellent review, AGAIN, Gene!

THD+N = 0.0002%, SNR = 95dB, & Crosstalk -108dB, Frequency Response of 20 Hz - 30 kHz +/- 0.0dB, and a perfect HQV Score of 130/130!

WOW!

This is just academic, but have you ever measured the Crosstalk between the Center Channel & the Left Front Channel, Center Channel & Right Front Channel, or the Front Left Channel & Surround Left Channel, etc.?

I doubt it, but what if the crosstalk between the Front Center & Front Left is -20dB? Or the Front Right & Surround Right is -20dB?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is just academic, but have you ever measured the Crosstalk between the Center Channel & the Left Front Channel, Center Channel & Right Front Channel, or the Front Left Channel & Surround Left Channel, etc.?

I doubt it, but what if the crosstalk between the Front Center & Front Left is -20dB? Or the Front Right & Surround Right is -20dB?
If it were only -20dB, you would hear the bleed over. In fact anything worse than -60dB would be audible. I did spot check adjacent channels and they were at least -80dB or better. I also did this on the power amp and published most of it in the review.

My biggest concern right now with this product is the Volume Scaling issue which is affecting me when I engage Audyssey or use my Toshiba HD DVD player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis