Definitive Technology Demand D15 Tower Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So, in this this price range, how to decide between D15/D17, the new Polk Legend L600, JBL HDI 3800, or a nice condition used set of Revel F208 or Focal Aria 948? For an all-around system for both music and movies.
I would use a rock-paper-scissors contest to decide between these speakers- they are all excellent. However, if you like to rock loud, the HDI 3800s will easily have the widest dynamic range from that bunch.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I would use a rock-paper-scissors contest to decide between these speakers- they are all excellent. However, if you like to rock loud, the HDI 3800s will easily have the widest dynamic range from that bunch.
Thanks, a big help you are!;):D

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Thanks again Shady, just one more question: What AV receivers would be sufficient to drive the D15's as part of a 5.1.4 Atmos system in a 15 by 15 family room with an open back to the rest of the house, with seats 9 feet from the front speakers? Would the 105 watt Denon's (x3600/x3700) or 110 Watt Marantz's (sr6013/6014) be enough, or would the 4000 series Denon/7000 Marantz be better at 125 watts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The problem with those receivers is that you are spreading the power supply thin by using it to supply nine channels. It's not that those receivers can't drive the D15s; they could. But they won't be getting anything close to 105 or 125 watts if you use them to drive that many channels. You might consider using a three-channel amp to drive the front left, right, and center. The surround channels would be an easy load for the AVR.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To Shady's point, Denon/Marantz claim that their AVRs will deliver 70% of the rated power when running all channels loaded in a 7-channel setup, say. I would suspect in All-Channel Stereo, that number would decrease, possibly significantly, and if not would be excessively taxing to the AVR Amps.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Thanks again Shady, just one more question: What AV receivers would be sufficient to drive the D15's as part of a 5.1.4 Atmos system in a 15 by 15 family room with an open back to the rest of the house, with seats 9 feet from the front speakers? Would the 105 watt Denon's (x3600/x3700) or 110 Watt Marantz's (sr6013/6014) be enough, or would the 4000 series Denon/7000 Marantz be better at 125 watts?
I use the 4500 (125 watts per channel rated) with 9 speakers and it will handle it as long as I'm satisfied with 80dB and use ECO mode. However, if I try to push it harder the 4500 will get hot. My solution was to use the front left and right preouts to move the VMPS SuperTowers to an external Adcom GFA 7000 amp. The Denon 4500 offers this exact configuration in the speaker setup menu. The external amp offers more headroom and keeps the 4500 pretty cool. Now it actually runs the warmest when running a new Odyssey configuration.

I have about 10 different Odyssey configurations stored on the iPad with different EQ settings and speaker configurations, I can easily upload the one I want to use. Why be satisfied with two Odyssey presets on the 4700 when the $20 iPad app can offer as many as you want?

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Thanks Shady and everyone else - what wattage would the external amp need to be, and would a 2 channel amp powering just the front mains be enough, or does it need to be a 3 channel amp powering the center channel also?

This is a little dissapointing I must confess - Right now I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 powering my system, with BP 8060 mains and center, and the pioneer has no trouble powering everything at fairly loud volumes, (between -5 and -15 master volume, depending on the disc/stream). Everything sounds excellent, so I have no pressing need to upgrade, but the looks/performance of the Demand towers has got me thinking:)

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks Shady and everyone else - what wattage would the external amp need to be, and would a 2 channel amp powering just the front mains be enough, or does it need to be a 3 channel amp powering the center channel also?

This is a little dissapointing I must confess - Right now I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 powering my system, with BP 8060 mains and center, and the pioneer has no trouble powering everything at fairly loud volumes, (between -5 and -15 master volume, depending on the disc/stream). Everything sounds excellent, so I have no pressing need to upgrade, but the looks/performance of the Demand towers has got me thinking:)
By the AVR that has the features you want at whatever your budget is, try it and if it can't handle the volume you want then add an amp.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
By the AVR that has the features you want at whatever your budget is, try it and if it can't handle the volume you want then add an amp.
Yes, of course, I was just thinking that if stretching the budget a little for the higher powered AVR would be sufficient maybe that would make sense.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you decide you want to go with an external amp, I would recommend something that runs around 200w into 8 ohms/300w into 4 Ohms. Anything less seems foolish, especially considering the lower sensitivity of those speakers. In the end, it's not so much about SPL potential as it should be about having adequate headroom to handle dynamic peaks.
I only bring these up as they are often overlooked... mind, I am a very happy owner of the previous generation... but the Outlaw Monoblock 2220s are reasonably priced and solid performers.
Now, that aside, any amp in your budget that can deliver good clean power without coloring the sound is worthwhile. I am not a fan of Emotiva, but their owners swear by them and say they are great. I cannot speak to their quality or customer service other than to potentially offer some less than stellar hearsay.
Others here like the Crown XL Amps... 1502 and higher would be the usual recommendation. QSC cinema amps are highly regarded as well. (Both are Pro Models and very capable.)
I'm certain others will chime in. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you decide you want to go with an external amp, I would recommend something that runs around 200w into 8 ohms/300w into 4 Ohms. Anything less seems foolish, especially considering the lower sensitivity of those speakers. In the end, it's not so much about SPL potential as it should be about having adequate headroom to handle dynamic peaks.
I only bring these up as they are often overlooked... mind, I am a very happy owner of the previous generation... but the Outlaw Monoblock 2220s are reasonably priced and solid performers.
Now, that aside, any amp in your budget that can deliver good clean power without coloring the sound is worthwhile. I am not a fan of Emotiva, but their owners swear by them and say they are great. I cannot speak to their quality or customer service other than to potentially offer some less than stellar hearsay.
Others here like the Crown XL Amps... 1502 and higher would be the usual recommendation. QSC cinema amps are highly regarded as well. (Both are Pro Models and very capable.)
I'm certain others will chime in. :)
Is Outlaw doing another 3-Fer for the newer monos? I know they had something going on a few weeks ago...

Yes! Not quite a good as the previous 2200 series bundle, but still not bad. 3 x 200 watts for under a grand.

I

ILO

Audiophyte
I own Mythos Super Tower STL front speakers (and Gem rear speakers). As I understand Demand series is the replacement for Mythos series. Mythos series were also good looking speakers. Mythos STLs are low distortion modern speakers while the rest of Mythos series were outdated and were rightfully discontinued. Does anyone know how Demand D17 or D15 compare with Mythos STL? I mean does it make sense to replace STLs with D17s (if stay in DefTech family).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own Mythos Super Tower STL front speakers (and Gem rear speakers). As I understand Demand series is the replacement for Mythos series. Mythos series were also good looking speakers. Mythos STLs are low distortion modern speakers while the rest of Mythos series were outdated and were rightfully discontinued. Does anyone know how Demand D17 or D15 compare with Mythos STL? I mean does it make sense to replace STLs with D17s (if stay in DefTech family).
In terms of objective measurements, I believe these new D15 towers measure better than any DefTech speakers ever made.

These new Demand towers have less bass than the DefTech speakers with built-in powered woofers. But these new Demand towers are more accurate. I think the D15 on-axis response is approximately +/- 1.6dB.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of Yamaha NS-555 and NS-C444. I can get the D17 pair and a D5c for $1500. Would you say is worth it? The D17 should be at least as good as the D15.
I use my HT mostly for movies and occasionally for music. My room is huge, about 7000 ft3 plus hallway openings, so I know I can't pressurize the whole space (I have an SVS SB-3000). I'm just looking to upgrade from average speakers designed 2 or more decades ago, but I don't really have any place in town to test other speakers.
BTW, I use a Denon X3500H to drive my HT. I run it as 5.1.2. For the rear speakers I use the pre-amp outputs (I use a wireless system) so the receiver really has to power only the fronts, the center and the atmos speakers. I would run the D17s as small speakers too.
Thanks.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from a pair of Yamaha NS-555 and NS-C444. I can get the D17 pair and a D5c for $1500. Would you say is worth it? The D17 should be at least as good as the D15.
I use my HT mostly for movies and occasionally for music. My room is huge, about 7000 ft3 plus hallway openings, so I know I can't pressurize the whole space (I have an SVS SB-3000). I'm just looking to upgrade from average speakers designed 2 or more decades ago, but I don't really have any place in town to test other speakers.
BTW, I use a Denon X3500H to drive my HT.
Thanks.
Absolutely worth it. Insanely good value at that pricing.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
Thank you for your quick response. For anybody interested, Adorama has the deal. I'll order it Sunday (they are closed on Saturday).

S

stumper3819

Audiophyte
These can be had for $499, The d17 for $699. Does anyone know if these would compare favorably to say a KEF r7 or Revel f206? If so, the going price has to be the best value I've seen for new w/warranty speakers!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
These can be had for $499, The d17 for $699. Does anyone know if these would compare favorably to say a KEF r7 or Revel f206? If so, the going price has to be the best value I've seen for new w/warranty speakers!
The price I'm seeing is a pair of D17 in Piano Black for $1299.00. Do you know if there is a "catch" to that deal?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis