Definitive Technology Demand D15 Tower Speaker Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The price I'm seeing is a pair of D17 in Piano Black for $1299.00. Do you know if there is a "catch" to that deal?
Make sure it’s not just the right or just the left speaker on sale! I saw this before on Amazon where dealers were discounting overstock of just L or R.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Make sure it’s not just the right or just the left speaker on sale! I saw this before on Amazon where dealers were discounting overstock of just L or R.
Thanks, are we allowed to post the deal link here?

S

stumper3819

Audiophyte
The price I'm seeing is a pair of D17 in Piano Black for $1299.00. Do you know if there is a "catch" to that deal?
Yes there is, look up one of the package deals. Or go on slickdeals.com and search for demand d17.

S

stumper3819

Audiophyte
I bought one pair, tempted to buy another if shadyj says something like "you'd be a fool not to" lol.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I bought one pair, tempted to buy another if shadyj says something like "you'd be a fool not to" lol.
You would be a fool not to!

But seriously, that is an outstanding value. I think these speakers are being clearanced which is why they are priced so low. I think you will see that the build quality is way above that level of pricing. They sound terrific too. It's a shame these speakers didn't become more popular. I am not sure why they weren't more popular. I think maybe the reason is that they are pretty conventional loudspeakers and didn't have a hook or gimmick to hinge on. Also Deftech fans may be more interested in their bipole designs rather than typical monopole speakers, and the people who might otherwise be interested in a decent conventional loudspeaker might too strongly associate Deftech with their bipole speakers to give these a chance. Ah well, looks like their loss is your gain. Enjoy!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
You would be a fool not to!

But seriously, that is an outstanding value. I think these speakers are being clearanced which is why they are priced so low. I think you will see that the build quality is way above that level of pricing. They sound terrific too. It's a shame these speakers didn't become more popular. I am not sure why they weren't more popular. I think maybe the reason is that they are pretty conventional loudspeakers and didn't have a hook or gimmick to hinge on. Also Deftech fans may be more interested in their bipole designs rather than typical monopole speakers, and the people who might otherwise be interested in a decent conventional loudspeaker might too strongly associate Deftech with their bipole speakers to give these a chance. Ah well, looks like their loss is your gain. Enjoy!
You know, last year I listened to these at a Best Buy. They were in one of those rooms with a lot of other tower speakers, all lined up. The sales guy is able to immediately switch between the different models. I had him go between the D17's, KEF R7's, and the Martin Logan XT F100's. I'm not sure why, but I ruled out the D17's immediately, as they just didn't sound like much of anything to me. Maybe they needed to be turned up, as the ML's are pretty sensitive. The KEF's sounded accurate and decent, but a bit anemic, compared to the F100's. My gosh, those F100's can crank out the music.

But at these prices, I'm tempted to try out a pair and see what my Krell amp can get out of them.:cool: At least, they can be returned if they don't one's boat.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You know, last year I listened to these at a Best Buy. They were in one of those rooms with a lot of other tower speakers, all lined up. The sales guy is able to immediately switch between the different models. I had him go between the D17's, KEF R7's, and the Martin Logan XT F100's. I'm not sure why, but I ruled out the D17's immediately, as they just didn't sound like much of anything to me. Maybe they needed to be turned up, as the ML's are pretty sensitive. The KEF's sounded accurate and decent, but a bit anemic, compared to the F100's. My gosh, those F100's can crank out the music.

But at these prices, I'm tempted to try out a pair and see what my Krell amp can get out of them.:cool: At least, they can be returned if they don't one's boat.
Iirc, the biggest draw back to the demand series was they had fairly low sensitivity. Everything else in the measurements looked pretty solid.
That said, Speakers like these will need careful placement and likely would do best in a smaller room where you aren’t seated more than 9-10’ away would be my guess.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Iirc, the biggest draw back to the demand series was they had fairly low sensitivity. Everything else in the measurements looked pretty solid.
That said, Speakers like these will need careful placement and likely would do best in a smaller room where you aren’t seated more than 9-10’ away would be my guess.
Yeah, I sit about 10-11 feet away from my current SF Lumina V towers and they sound a lot better if I move about 2 feet closer. But I can't really move my sofa any closer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh dear. I’m waiting for @TLS Guy to respond with something like, “DefTech just are trash, like AVR are just trash!” :D

But I agree that these speakers sound very good.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Oh dear. I’m waiting for @TLS Guy to respond with something like, “DefTech just are trash, like AVR are just trash!” :D

But I agree that these speakers sound very good.
Those have two 8" passive radiators in them right? Any amp inside?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those have two 8" passive radiators in them right? Any amp inside?
Iirc, that was what was so amazing about the demand series: DT actually made a legit set of Speakers without an active bass or bi/di-pole BS… AND kept the specs honest!!!

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Yeah the D15 has 2 x 5.25” woofers + dual 8” passive radiators.

Your RBH Elites have 3 x 6.5” woofers?
I took a look at those DT towers, they very nice looking towers.

Yes 3 X 6.5" active driver's, plus MTM 2 X 5. 1/4" midrange driver's up top. I was messing around the other day had volume up at -5 and at 0 for a few songs I was streaming. Simple Minds, their music video "Don't You forget About Me" talk about put out some Seriously clean bass at that volume. I had to turn the sub down, had things on my Walls vibrating. Yeah them Elie towers can get very loud! clean output.

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
I almost ordered the D17s and a D5c. Three things made me pause. First, the review noted they are not loud (less than 85db). Second, and more important, I still have to see an in-depth review of the center D5c. The review from shadyJ was focused on the towers primarily. The third reason is also related to the center speaker. Adorama has 12 D5c speakers open box. No open box for D17, nor D15. I wonder if this is an indication the center speaker is not that great. Maybe it's just that returning a center speaker is much cheaper than returning a pair of towers...

So, can anybody comment on D5c quality?

While debating about this buy I saw the new Emotiva X series. I know these speakers are new and nobody had time to review them, or even buy them, but if we use the + series as reference would you say the D17 are easier or harder to drive to 85 db than the T2+ (I'll use a Denon X3500H to drive them) ?

I saw the T2+ deeps to a minimum of about about 3 ohms while the D15 (and probably D17 too) stays always above 5 ohms. I'm asking this because I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the Demands or wait for some reviews on Emotiva X series (I read the few comments on the introduction of these speakers already https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/new-emotiva-speaker-lineup-airmotiv-x.128388/). The other thing for me is that I'm more interested in getting a good center than towers, since I use my HT mostly for movies (I know the Emotiva center speakers are somewhat questionable), so that's why not having a review on D5c makes me pause.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Hey, I got the D15’s several months ago based on Shady’s review, and got the D5C for a sonic/visual match, so I can at least give some subjective impressions. I am powering a 5.2.4 Atmos system with a Denon 4500, which has no problem driving all my speakers loud enough to cause hearing damage! So I doubt the 87 sensitivity of the D17’s will be a problem for your Denon.

As to the sound quality, both the D15’s and D5C sound fantastic to my ears. Very detailed but still smooth if that makes sense. The MTM design of the D5C should not sound good much off axis, but I don’t really notice much of an issue even sitting in the outside seats. The tonal balance of the Demands is similar to the Revel Performa series to my ears, but just a little brighter - but not forward or harsh like I find the Martin Logan new F-Series towers.

The combination of looks, sound quality, and build quality is really amazing for the prices these are going for now. Unless you need THX reference volume in a large space, like Shady says, you would be crazy not to grab these along with a D5C. And BTW, the 85/105 DB reference standard is only for large commercial cinemas. UHD and Blu Ray discs for home use are mastered for a lower reference of 76-82 DB depending on room size per SMPTE studio guidelines so the need for high sensitivity speakers to hit “reference” for home theater may be overblown in many cases.IMG_8423.jpegIMG_8422.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis