Danley DTS-10, or other?

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
So my Crown arrived today . . . but. . . it's damaged. :( Something penetrated the outer box, the original box, all the way to punch/bend a dime sized section of the bottom of the amp. The damaged part is white, unlike the rest of the amp being black. BOO!!

I should be reimbursed for return charges, and should not be charged for a replacement, I hope/presume? Poopie.

No rush though, might be a few weeks away still from having the sub anyhow.
That sucks man. If you bought it from a decent place, you shouldn't have an issue getting it replaced. Sounds like the carrier really worked on that one...

My girlfriend sent me some glasses this week and USPS broke one of them. Obviously not as cool or expensive as an amp but I was still none too happy.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
That sucks man. If you bought it from a decent place, you shouldn't have an issue getting it replaced. Sounds like the carrier really worked on that one...

My girlfriend sent me some glasses this week and USPS broke one of them. Obviously not as cool or expensive as an amp but I was still none too happy.
I wasn't clear, perhaps even misleading, when I said "replacement". I meant the charges for shipping both ways, including the shipment of the replacement. Cheers.

I wonder if they have any in stock. When I got it, there was only "one" left via Amazon (thru Abe's though), and then it disappeared after my order; the model was then shown to be sold by a different vendor, with slightly higher shipping charges. We will see.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I wasn't clear, perhaps even misleading, when I said "replacement". I meant the charges for shipping both ways, including the shipment of the replacement. Cheers.

I wonder if they have any in stock. When I got it, there was only "one" left via Amazon (thru Abe's though), and then it disappeared after my order; the model was then shown to be sold by a different vendor, with slightly higher shipping charges. We will see.
Gotcha. I've only had return one thing (fortunately) for shipping damage and I didn't have to pay anything for shipping the return or replacement. The company (DakMart) just sent me a prepaid label for the return.

That's a toughie since Abe's may be sold out. In my case, DakMart was also out of stock and they offered me a refund since they couldn't send the replacement out immediately. Abe's may do the same, but you'd have to pay shipping again if you took that and bought it through someone else. It might be different going through Amazon but it was my understanding that if they didn't sell it directly then they couldn't do anything.

Good Luck.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry to hear that, if they give you any trouble, you may want to take it up with your credit card company. Hopefully you paid with Amex. :)

I generally order through B&H, Musicians Friend, or PSSL.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Speakon confusion. They arrived today. I finally figured out how the male connector is put together, well at least for 6 pieces:

1) but there is the last/7th piece, this sort of collapsable insert looking thing. It's cylindrical, but has three prongs. Have no idea where this piece goes. Black in color. I finally figured out how 6 pieces go, by using this pic. The 7th mystery piece must be inside that somewhere, if it's being used at all.

2) At the terminals (1+/- etc ) I can simply screw the wire in, IF* I remove these tiny removable hook/clips. They naturally fall out when I remove the screw(s). They must be there for a reason, to help secure the wire more I suppose, but dangit I haven't figured it out yet. Again, without it, I can just screw it in . . . but I'd like to know.

Dankz.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
the mystery piece is the last piece inserted where it clamps down on the insulation of the chord or speaker wire...

http://www.acoustic-reality.com/manuals/speakon.pdf

that should help.... :)

same as the 90 degree model
Ahh, thanks! haha. You know these connectors are pretty involved for being just a connector. Cool design, but involved. I finally have it down, I think. That clamp is pretty cool. *click*click*click*

For anyone who might reference this in the future, the biggest pain is getting the right angle part on the plug. I find it works best when you slip it under the silver lever (and of course symmetrically), one at a time. Also, make sure the terminal screws are all the way in, because if they aren't, well you might asking yourself why you just didn't buy the premade connector.

Then for the blue clips on the vertical part, put them on before the right angle part comes together. You need to pull the right angle part, apart. If you don't, you'll ask the same question from above. :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So my Crown arrived today . . . but. . . it's damaged.
So, I've been in contact with the Amazon rep from the seller (Abe's), and I have to wait until Thursday to call back, as he hopes the claim with UPS will be good to go by then. Between not having it in stock (though might easily be ordered), and shipping time once more, I wonder when I'll have an amp. I did ask if he could send a replacement out before they actually received the damaged item, but he kept just saying to call back Thursday. On a good note, assuming all goes well with their claim with UPS, I won't be out a dime, even for shipping. At least if I understood our dialogue correctly. And that's the latest.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Just stumbled across this thread and wow.....those are some large subs your planning on building josten!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just stumbled across this thread and wow.....those are some large subs your planning on building josten!
Hehe. Yeah. Just one though. In no small part is this the fault of your friend, Warpdrv. hehe.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Yo MidnightSensi! I've got some dumb questions for you:

1. I was checking out the Crown manual online (don't want to soil the manual I have inside the ravaged box), and there isn't anything, really, on the EQ stuff.

Is this what you were referring to before? Just DL, measure, tinker?
http://www.crownaudio.com/bandmanager.htm

Have a mic to recommend? Soundcard? Hm, sometimes things like this do keep me thinking about the SVS unit. I think I'll just run it first as normal/unEQ, then run Audyssey for only the DTS10 perhaps. I think.

2. What is your ballpark guess on how much an AwlGrip finish would cost on something that is, IIRC, 60x42x16?

Which specific product of theirs were you thinking of? Here is the list:
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/type/Pages/ProductsByType.aspx

3. Have a place to recommend for XLRs? BJC sells a 1ft for $23.25, which sort of seems a tad steep, but what do I know.

Thanks.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Yo MidnightSensi! I've got some dumb questions for you:
I've got dumb answers!

1. I was checking out the Crown manual online (don't want to soil the manual I have inside the ravaged box), and there isn't anything, really, on the EQ stuff.

Is this what you were referring to before? Just DL, measure, tinker?
http://www.crownaudio.com/bandmanager.htm

Have a mic to recommend? Soundcard? Hm, sometimes things like this do keep me thinking about the SVS unit. I think I'll just run it first as normal/unEQ, then run Audyssey for only the DTS10 perhaps. I think.
Yeah, just use the front panel at first to bridge and set the limiter.

Download that PowerPoint on there, looks like a really good walk-through (actually I might partake also!)

I doubt you'll ever need to use anything software based unless you want to tinker with it. Pretty much everything can be done from the front panel.

2. What is your ballpark guess on how much an AwlGrip finish would cost on something that is, IIRC, 60x42x16?

Which specific product of theirs were you thinking of? Here is the list:
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/type...ctsByType.aspx
The Topcoat. They come in all different colors and even metallics and flats now.

I'll find out and get back to you. Not sure off the top of my head. I got the prices at work.

3. Have a place to recommend for XLRs? BJC sells a 1ft for $23.25, which sort of seems a tad steep, but what do I know.
Monoprice.com ... cheap XLR cables, really good quality too.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Good news. UPS is taking full responsibility. I will send back the Crown later today. I will eventually be reimbursed for shipping.

Abe's doesn't have any more in stock, so they are having the supplier directly drop-ship one to my place.

XLR/XLR and XLR/RCA have been ordered thru Monoprice. I threw in a short skinny HDMI cable for good measure, too. :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I can't wait to see how this monster sounds to you. I bet you will love it.

Have you sold the JL?
Good news. UPS is taking full responsibility. I will send back the Crown later today. I will eventually be reimbursed for shipping.

Abe's doesn't have any more in stock, so they are having the supplier directly drop-ship one to my place.

XLR/XLR and XLR/RCA have been ordered thru Monoprice. I threw in a short skinny HDMI cable for good measure, too. :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I can't wait to see how this monster sounds to you. I bet you will love it.

Have you sold the JL?
I hope I will love it too. I am prepared to lose a bit of SQ (if the case), as I do need the output, for HT. The JL used to be for music as well as movies, but barely anymore.

Unlike yourself, I like to keep my balls, I mean, sub. :p Just kidding, I actually don't know if I will sell it or keep it right now. For a few reasons, at this moment.

I spoke with my wood guy again, and he has some ambitious idea of using like 10 coats of General Finishes undercoat, couple coats of satin black, something else. Just the product alone would come out to a ballpark of $180. I dunno. Tomorrow, I hope to pick up a gasket, soldering iron/gun, couple of drop cloths, perhaps paint thinner, miscellaneous stuff.

EDIT: Ah, congrats on the new sub! In a span of weeks, will you have owned the Dawg Crusher, F113, and PB13. Someone, somewhere, hates you. :D

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The AwlGrip is about $150 for a gallon of topcoat.

Line-X it dude. I bet that will cost a hundred or two, but your /done/

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
hehehehehe...you have a wood guy....:eek:

Don't forget the Velodyne, that I sold last week. I think maybe I am just stupid for having all these subs...:eek:
I spoke with my wood guy again

EDIT: Ah, congrats on the new sub! In a span of weeks, will you have owned the Dawg Crusher, F113, and PB13. Someone, somewhere, hates you. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis