darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Well, watching McCain's speech last night was sure a snore-fest. I mean, he made some good points, but man is he a boring public speaker. And I'm sorry, but the guy should just give up trying to smile. His smile ALWAYS come across as phony. He looks like a creepy old man trying to entice a child with an ice cream cone.

At first, I thought that Palin was a smart pick for McCain. But now more and more details are coming out about her, that makes me rethink my initial assessment. True, some of the facts about her personal life that are being brought up are pretty silly, and should have no bearing on her effectiveness as a leader, but it still affects her standing in the court of public opinion. I read somewhere that the Republican party is suing The National Enquirer to stop a story coming out about Palin having an affair with one of her husbands' business partners. Sure, it's the Enquirer, but I find it interesting that when the Enquirer chooses to run a story that is damning to the Democrats, it's a credible news source. But when the shoes on the other foot, it's just a rag that no one should take seriously. :rolleyes:

But Palin's stance on the environment is enough to ensure me that she's no one I want anywhere near the oval office.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/08/29/why-palin-is-a-bad-choice-for-the-environment/

Quoted as saying that “I’m not one though who would attribute it [global warming] to being man-made,” Sarah Palin, 44, has made a habit of pitting herself against environmental safety. This comes as a surprise, as she actually disagrees with McCain on several things, such as anthropogenic global warming.

Earlier this month, I wrote about Alaska’s attempt to sue Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne, after he listed the polar bear as an endangered species. This move was led by Governor Sarah Palin, who said that “We believe that the Service’s decision to list the polar bear was not based on the best scientific and commercial data available.”

Palin’s position against the polar bear is not hard to explain, considering her desire for Alaska to be turned in to a giant petrol station for the rest of the US. The listing of the polar bear on the Endangered Species Act is going to force decisions about drilling for oil and gas in Alaska to be put on hold, or cancelled altogether.

That leads us to her view that drilling for oil is very much the answer. When informed that some politicians believe that drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) is not the answer, Palin answered thus;

I beg to disagree with any candidate who would say we can’t drill our way out of our problem or that more supply won’t ultimately affect prices. Of course it will affect prices.

Without out-and-out saying that she is in the pocket of the oil industry, it is hard to understand how any right-thinking individual can take the stance that Palin has and expect others to ignore the obvious. Any oil that is removed from Alaska – no matter how small or large – is only going to postpone the inevitable. And if we’re ignoring the likelihood that fossil fuels are the cause of many of the planets problems, then at least think about what we should be doing for those further down the track.

But I'm not part of the Republican's target market anyway, so I'm sure they don't care what I think.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And I'm sorry, but the guy should just give up trying to smile. His smile ALWAYS come across as phony. He looks like a creepy old man trying to entice a child with an ice cream cone.
That is just so true.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Heart Attacks McCain

Wilson Sisters Follow Mellencamp, Browne in Snubbing GOP
(Sept. 5) - Rock group Heart is furious with John McCain for bucking a request to stop playing their 1977 hit, "Barracuda," and is puzzled by the use of a song about "soulless" executives as the theme for his running mate, Sarah Palin.

"I feel completely [expletive'd] over," the band's Nancy Wilson told EW on Thursday night after their song was played following McCain's acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul. According to TMZ -- which broke the scandal, the band has filed a cease and desist order.
The tune was first played as a theme song for Palin, and the band acted swiftly. They issued a statement asking the campaign to stop use their music. "We hope our wishes will be honored," the band said. Tough luck. Following McCain's speech on Thursday night, what pumped through the speaker system? That's right ... "Barracuda."

Palin got the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" for her fierce presence on the court with her high school basketball team.
After the speech, Nancy and her sister Ann issued the following statement to EW:
"Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."

Other hits for the still-active band include "Crazy On You," "Magic Man" and their chart-topping Eighties power ballads "These Dreams" and "Alone."
This is just the latest musical "no way" for McCain. In the early stages of his campaign, John Mellencamp ordered that they stop using his tunes "Our Country" and "Pink Houses." In August, Jackson Browne got riled up when Ohio Rebublicans used his song "Running on Empty" in an Obama attack ad.

"In light of Jackson Browne's lifelong commitment to Democratic ideals and political candidates, the misappropriation of Jackson Browne's endorsement is entirely reprehensible," Browne's lawyer said.
Van Halen also doesn't want their music used in the campaign. Their (worst?) song "Right Now" was used as the uplifting finale to last week's rally announcing Palin as McCain's running mate.

"Permission was not sought or granted, nor would it have been given," the band's spokesman told TMZ.
But expect a similar reaction from the Halen brothers if Barack Obama were to use their music as well.
"Van Halen are not political, they're just rock and roll."
Right-leaning pop musicians can be hard to come by, leaving few safe choices for Republicans on the campaign trail. Political Machine pointed out a few GOP-friendly stars whose songs could possibly be cued up without objection: Donny Osmond, Ted Nugent, Gene Simmons, Kid Rock and Wayne Newton.
http://www.popeater.com/music/article/back-off-of-our-barracuda-maverick/161983?icid=100214839x1209009993x1200523646

Heart, Cheap Trick and Journey are currently on US concert tour. I'll see them on Sept 28th in Los Angeles.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I think I heard September by Earth, Wind & Fire played last night too.

That sucks. I used to LOVE EWF.

majorloser

majorloser

All of those groups should be ecstatic that any of their works can still get air time, much less national television time. Politics aside, it's just another bunch of recording artists wanted to be paid royalties.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
All of those groups should be ecstatic that any of their works can still get air time, much less national television time. Politics aside, it's just another bunch of recording artists wanted to be paid royalties.
That may well be, but isn't it their right? Why shouldn't an artist be compensated for a politician using their music? And if I were a singer and someone I didn't like tried to use my music to promote themselves, you can sure as hell bet I'd put a stop to it.

I don't know if the Clinton's use of "Don't stop thinkin' about tomorrow" will ever be topped. That was pure genius.

By the way, I like Heart. :p

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Beyond that he's had a brief national career, sure, that's no secret, and it's no secret than since 2004 he's been "groomed" for the national stage. But looking solely at the Senate skips over the previous 24 years of experience and accomplishment. That man is highly intelligent and accomplished, and has selflessly pursued public service when he could have made millions as a mega-star in law. He only acquired any real wealth post-2004.
I guess I was looking for a little more meat in the resume...something that would stand up to the level of hype and persona that's been created around him. It's one thing to sit on committees and vote "present" instead of yes or no, or to co-author a bill. It's another thing entirely to present a solution to a pressing societal need, build a consensus around your solution and have your name attached to your measure whether it succeeds or fails because you believe it's right. I guess that's what I'm missing. I know it's hard to build a resume as a member of a legislature in which you are only one vote, but it takes so much more, IMHO, than being present to build a resume suitable for being president.

When you say "looking solely at the Senate skips over the previous 24 years", I say lets look solely at the Senate for just a moment. He was running for president practically as soon as he was sworn into the Senate. How much work do you think he really did for the Senate during his short career there while running for president? Did he spend his few days there working for his constituents or working for his own benefit to get elected to the highest office?

If you aren't impressed by him...well, fine. I can't make you be impressed. But I hope you don't turn around and swallow the ""Best Person for the Job" talk re: Palin, then.
To be honest, I have serious problems with Palin and the religious right in general. I've been trying to make the point that she is an excellent choice by McCain and should by all accounts be taken seriously. Let me explain where I'm coming from. You'll understand me a little better.

I'm a "fiscal conservative" and a "social liberal" meaning I want a government that will manage the national accounts with prudence and responsibility, but I want the government not to legislate my social values. In the current political climate, both here in Canada and the U.S., if one wants conservative fiscal policy one must accept that the conservative option comes included with the religious right and the policies it brings. It seems that if you want to support the right to bear arms, you have to vote side by side with the intelligent design crowd. On the other hand, if one wants to support right to life, gay marriage, legalizing the chronic (which I don't use, BTW), etc., one must accept that the party that supports these things may not be fiscally responsible when it comes to social spending on a host of other issues, like welfare, nationalized health care, etc. So far, there isn't a credible third option that offers conservative fiscal policy with liberal personal policies. (Well, Libertarian, but even they can be off the deep end on a number of policies.)

You might ask why I take such an interest in an election in which I don't even get a vote. It's because the outcome matters very much to me and my livelihood. I have the same concerns as the autoworker in Ohio and Michigan and in fact I depend on the continued prosperity of the autoworker in Ohio and Michigan. To me, the economy comes first. It pays for national defense, social programs, infrastructure and every other thing that the government does. For all of our sakes, I try to evaluate the candidates with regard to their likely stewardship of the economy. In the specific case, I think that's McCain. If I thought for one second that Obama were better suited to restoring America's economic strength, I would say so in a heartbeat, but that's not what I take away from a comparative review of Obama and McCain's resumes.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
That may well be, but isn't it their right? Why shouldn't an artist be compensated for a politician using their music? And if I were a singer and someone I didn't like tried to use my music to promote themselves, you can sure as hell bet I'd put a stop to it.

I don't know if the Clinton's use of "Don't stop thinkin' about tomorrow" will ever be topped. That was pure genius.

By the way, I like Heart. :p
I dont know the leagal side of playing someones music in public, but i would think if McCain bought the album....he would be entitled to play it how he sees fit as long as he didnt charge admission for others to hear it. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Peace,
Tommy

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
But Palin's stance on the environment is enough to ensure me that she's no one I want anywhere near the oval office.
Her view is exactly the same as Bush's. I will tell you when the science is good:D when it agrees with my point of view;)

And, her cleaning up government?
How about all those earmarks that she supported and asked for and got?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Meaty stuff as soon as he entered the Senate? He was one the prime pushers for ethics reform:

"He helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill in the Illinois state Senate and made the issue a priority on arriving in Washington. Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers." link
Andrew Sullivan: "I guess we should thank Matt Scully for inserting the word "major." You can go look at Obama's State Senate legislative record here. And his US Senate record here. At last count, sponsorship of 820 laws in Illinois, and authorship of 152 bills and co-sponsorship of 427 in Washington. The 2007 Ethics Reform bill alone cannot be dismissed as simply non-existent. And since part of Palin's own claim to substance is an ethics reform bill, it seems extremely weird that she should believe that Obama's record is a total zero.

At her first press conference, why not ask her why she said that Obama has never passed a single reform, when he passed the 2007 Ethics Reform, described by many as the most sweeping package of its kind since Watergate. Of course, she doesn't know. She was given this speech. But she should be asked to respond to the question of why she said something patently untrue to the entire country. " link, emphasis added by me
Counts as meat to me. Again, "meaty" is purely subjective, so if you disagree, so be it.

See also: How Obama defied Reid and got real ethics reform passed

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I dont know the leagal side of playing someones music in public, but i would think if McCain bought the album....he would be entitled to play it how he sees fit as long as he didnt charge admission for others to hear it. Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Peace,
Tommy
I don't know the the legal issues but I have a hunch, a pretty good one at that, that you cannot play such music in public as the convention.
Not sure if you read recently here at AH about a person wanting to set up a movie room for kids in a small village, perhaps in Alaska, ;) and this question was asked and he has to get permission, even if he doesn't charge admission.

Now, I would say that very short parts can be as with written material, but not the whole thing.
Hopefully someone with legal skills will chime in.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Meaty stuff as soon as he entered the Senate? He was one the prime pushers for ethics reform:

Counts as meat to me. Again, "meaty" is purely subjective, so if you disagree, so be it.

See also: How Obama defied Reid and got real ethics reform passed
That ethics self policing reminded me of the Consumer Reports article this month about that Energy Star Program and the appliance industry. DOE doesn't test anything, industry tests its own and others to report a violation,;) takes 6 years to get rules to be enacted and be written.
So, the refrigerators are tested with the ice maker disconnected. Not a big deal if it is in the freezer section, but some new units with French doors, it is in the fresh food section and it double the energy consumption from that label.:mad:
That is what George Bush has said all along, let them self police:D Not much gets done.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'll keep looking at in the direction that you're pointing me as well as other sources. I came across this while looking that seems like a pretty good summary of the ethics reforms. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2008/apr/14/obamas-stretch-ethics-reform/

I was particularly interested in the conclusion. "Still, Obama exaggerates his role in the ethics debate, and his depiction of the 2007 lobbying and ethics overhaul omits significant historical context. We rule his claim to be Half-True." It appears that the signature achievement of Obama's career is little more than an assist to Reid and Pelosi on a reform with a history dating beyond Obama's time in the Senate.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The hard numbers I saw today had McCain voting 95% with Bush in 2007 (90% over the last 8 years) and Obama 40% with Bush in 2007. And McCain is saying he reaches across the aisle more than Obama and he's a maverick. Is this some kind of joke or is McCain talking about 25 years ago when he was somewhat young?

Look, compared to the other republicans that were up there, I don't mind McCain so much; but he needs to stop this crap of saying he reaches across the aisle and he's for change. He wasn't for change until he realized Obama had the right message from the start and it really resonated with voters. Hillary was for experience too until she realized change was the right message.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The hard numbers I saw today had McCain voting 95% with Bush in 2007 (90% over the last 8 years) and Obama 40% with Bush in 2007. And McCain is saying he reaches across the aisle more than Obama and he's a maverick. Is this some kind of joke or is McCain talking about 25 years ago when he was somewhat young?

Look, compared to the other republicans that were up there, I don't mind McCain so much; but he needs to stop this crap of saying he reaches across the aisle and he's for change. He wasn't for change until he realized Obama had the right message from the start and it really resonated with voters. Hillary was for experience too until she realized change was the right message.
That's all it is. Trying to resonate with voters.

McCain is really disgusting me right now. He's blatantly pandering to certain audiences and making totally wild claims that have absolutely no basis in reality.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

GWB used the same excuses or tactic as Governor of Texas in the 2000 presidental race. Don't believe the "hype".;)

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
That's all it is. Trying to resonate with voters.

McCain is really disgusting me right now. He's blatantly pandering to certain audiences and making totally wild claims that have absolutely no basis in reality.

Dont forget not long ago we were discussing something of the same subject, but the roles were reversed.....It was Oboma talking a bunch of junk about Americans needing to learn Spanish. He was saying this to an audience that was mostly hispanics.

I dont care who says what to whom, but to single out McCain for trying to get votes by pandering to a certian audience is a bit one sided in my opinion.

Peace,
Tommy

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sorry to shock any Fanboys out there.:eek:
All Politicians Pander.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
And McCain is saying he reaches across the aisle more than Obama and he's a maverick. Is this some kind of joke or is McCain talking about 25 years ago when he was somewhat young?

Look, compared to the other republicans that were up there, I don't mind McCain so much; but he needs to stop this crap of saying he reaches across the aisle and he's for change.
Perhaps you are thinking of the McCain-Feingold Act that was passed in 2002? Hardly 25 years.

McCain started working on that back in 1995 and reached out to Feingold to get it passed as a bi-partisan bill. This is an example of a man deciding what's right for the country and pursuing that against friend, foe and vested interests for many years. You can believe this type of campaign finance reform was genuinely not popular among Republicans or Democrats, but McCain and Feingold each took a principled stand and pushed this reform for many years, built a consensus among their parties and cleaned up election campaign finance.

This is the way to get your name attached to major legislation and to show leadership, bipartisanship putting the interests of the country over your own or your party's unlike Obama who, as mentioned previously, simply had his name attached to other people's work. Like McCain or not, his legislative record shows that what he says is true.

BTW, I just watched an interview with Feingold this week. He is still of the impression that McCain is a main of outstanding integrity and character and is fit to be president. Rare talk from a Democrat, but it's from a man that worked with McCain for many years, even if Feingold is still supporting Obama (as a loyal Democrat).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis