Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The never-ending attempts to minimize the coronavirus by comparing it to the flu drive me bananas.

This is picking nits, but I don't think he's willfully ignorant. I think he knows full well it's not at all comparable to the flu, and he's lying for political purposes. As far as I can tell, he figures that even if his actions cause the virus to spread, the death toll will not increase enough between now and election day to negate the boost he believes he will get from his "downplay the risk" (AKA flood the zone with sh*t) political strategy.

Here's an article from March:

>>>Trump told a White House press conference that "a lot of people" had previously suggested the country should simply let the coronavirus take its course, just like the seasonal flu. "Ride it out, don't do anything, just ride it out and think of it as the flu," they said, according to Trump, who said: "But it's not the flu. It is vicious." . . . "If we did nothing, if we just carried on with our life," he said, "you would have seen people dying on airplanes, you would have seen people dying in hotel lobbies. You would have seen death all over." <<<

The simplest way to think about all this is to remember that you cannot believe anything he says. He's incapable of telling the truth.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
News blurb: "Eli Lilly says its monoclonal antibody cocktail is effective in treating Covid-19"

All of the usual disclaimers concerning "science by press release" apply (I can sense Swerd's typing fingers getting itchy from here! ;)) At least it wasn't a complete flop.
My fingers didn't need to get itchy. You already said what I would say.

I'm not too surprised to see these monoclonal antibodies reported as 'working'. They are meant to mimic what the recovered patient plasmas are said to do. Of course, the Devil is in the details, none of which made it to the press release.
Achieving high volume production is of course an issue, especially with regards to the combo cocktail:

>>>Lilly said it anticipates it could have as many as 1 million doses of its one-antibody treatment, LY-CoV555, available in the fourth quarter of 2020, with 100,000 available this month. But for the combination therapy, just 50,000 doses will be available in the fourth quarter of 2020.<<<
That's the really big question. One million doses of this antibody treatment, or any other similar product from other makers, is a drop in the bucket compared to the nationwide or worldwide need. These antibodies are expensive to make, slow to produce, and must be given as an intravenous infusion. They cannot be more effective than a decent vaccine. And they will definitely be much more expensive.

FWIW, I read the other week that J&J's vaccine requires only 1 dose, and unlike some of the other vaccines, it doesn't require freezing. I can be stored as a liquid in a refrigerator.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Must...resist...temptation...to post picture...

Meh, you guys can find it. Just google "$20 is $20". I'm not responsible for what you find.
I didn't know about that implied message. How come you know about it?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's the really big question. One million doses of this antibody treatment, or any other similar product from other makers, is a drop in the bucket compared to the nationwide [my bold] or worldwide need.
---
Living in a Sweden, a million doses in a population of less than 10 million would be very (?) significant if properly distributed along with other precautions for herd immunity. Then you have Iceland, also known as a hedgefund organized as a state, with a population of less than 400 000 will thank for your all our million doses.

FWIW, I read the other week that J&J's vaccine requires only 1 dose, and unlike some of the other vaccines, it doesn't require freezing. I can be stored as a liquid in a refrigerator.
I recall that earlier in the thread some of these vaccines had to be cooled at -80C during transport and (?) distribution, which is was told to be a real issue to overcome.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recall that earlier in the thread some of these vaccines had to be cooled at -80C during transport and (?) distribution, which is was told to be a real issue to overcome.
The vaccines, such as Moderna's and Pfizer's, which make use of RNA instead of DNA, have to be stored at -80C until they are thawed for use. RNA is much more likely to become degraded unless it stays frozen at such a low temperature.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys, lets keep this thread more focused on Covid-19 related stuff and save the memes, gifs, political conflict, etc for one of the other threads - like the "F'in", or "Debate", or "Criminal" Trump threads!
I appreciate this thread as being a touchstone of mostly factual/discussion of the virus from a medical aspect, and would sincerely hate to see the joking around spiral into flame wars ending with this thread getting shut down!
Good point!

I'm guilty of getting off track in this thread.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Good point!

I'm guilty of getting off track in this thread.
It is your thread!
I don't think we could properly discuss the virus without including the implications of the political influences on fighting it.
I just wanted to remind people to try to avoid falling into inflammatory insult wars that could kill the tread (and it really is one of my primary sources for how to best interpret the information/news being presented)!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I spend entirely too much time on the internet.
Don't we all. :)
I have had a family experience with covid. My niece her husband and 2 kiddos all tested positive. The kids had mild cold symptoms my niece regular cold or mild flu her husband bad flu. All done with quarantine and ok now and all under 50. No hospital stays needed thankfully. I personally probably wouldn't do as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Except the flu isn't costing him an election.

Even before the internet, we all knew what making a quick $20 entailed.

It's right up there with 'I'm not gay. I just needed a ride.'
I knew you'd understand.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Except the flu isn't costing him an election.

Even before the internet, we all knew what making a quick $20 entailed.

It's right up there with 'I'm not gay. I just needed a ride.'
"Twenty bucks, just like downtown"?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ohhh. Not really but pic is kind of small. Is it an exchange box? No idea.
Neighborhoods have these- called 'Little Library'. People build them in whatever form they like and put them in their yard, so people can borrow and swap books. Can be kids' books (most of what is in my neighborhood), or whatever.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis