highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It was too good to last...

...it looks like our bubble may have burst...
With population density of 17.45 people per Km²in Nova Scotia, I would think your total would be far lower than here. The Milwaukee metropolitan area alone has more people than all of NS. The density here is 135 times greater than NS. Population density, that is. Thought I would put that out there. Milwaukee government's mental density is far higher.

I imagine two people walking toward each other on opposite side of the street and when they're half a block apart, they say "That's close enough, eh". :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
With population density of 17.45 people per Km²in Nova Scotia, I would think your total would be far lower than here. The Milwaukee metropolitan area alone has more people than all of NS. The density here is 135 times greater than NS. Population density, that is. Thought I would put that out there. Milwaukee government's mental density is far higher.

I imagine two people walking toward each other on opposite side of the street and when they're half a block apart, they say "That's close enough, eh". :)
I'm not sure what you mean by "your total would be far lower than here". Do you mean COVID cases? In NS, it's essentially zero right now. Every couple of weeks, or so, a case will pop up where a traveler coming in from outside the bubble will test positive. But, because such people have been following the 2-week isolation rules, they haven't caused any spread. I believe there may be one unresolved case right now, in hospital.

Population density doesn't tell us a whole lot about how closely grouped people are. It's the concentration of people that counts. For example, almost half the population of NS lives in the Halifax area. Newfoundland and Labrador has a population density of just 1.4 people per square kilometer - but, 92% of the population live on the smaller island portion and over half them live on the Avalon Peninsula surrounding the capital, St. John's.

And, public interactions and opportunities for COVID spread are probably not a whole lot different, no matter where you go. People in larger populations probably don't shop, take transit, have parties, etc than people in smaller populations. I'm sure population density has some influence, but it certainly isn't directly proportional. There are many variables that influence virus spread.

The biggest differences in the degree of success in containing the spread are the protocols in place to reduce the risk of spread and the population's willingness to follow them.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm not sure what you mean by "your total would be far lower than here". Do you mean COVID cases? In NS, it's essentially zero right now. Every couple of weeks, or so, a case will pop up where a traveler coming in from outside the bubble will test positive. But, because such people have been following the 2-week isolation rules, they haven't caused any spread. I believe there may be one unresolved case right now, in hospital.

Population density doesn't tell us a whole lot about how closely grouped people are. It's the concentration of people that counts. For example, almost half the population of NS lives in the Halifax area. Newfoundland and Labrador has a population density of just 1.4 people per square kilometer - but, 92% of the population live on the smaller island portion and over half them live on the Avalon Peninsula surrounding the capital, St. John's.

And, public interactions and opportunities for COVID spread are probably not a whole lot different, no matter where you go. People in larger populations probably don't shop, take transit, have parties, etc than people in smaller populations. I'm sure population density has some influence, but it certainly isn't directly proportional. There are many variables that influence virus spread.

The biggest differences in the degree of success in containing the spread are the protocols in place to reduce the risk of spread and the population's willingness to follow them.
While population density is an average, the concentration, as you wrote, matters more- here, we have higher unemployment which means more people are hanging out at home. When 'home' means 'apartment building with 10+ families who don't follow the guidelines for COVID', people will be infected. If you want, I'll go to Walmart and record the people who don't wear their mask properly, if at all.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
While population density is an average, the concentration, as you wrote, matters more- here, we have higher unemployment which means more people are hanging out at home. When 'home' means 'apartment building with 10+ families who don't follow the guidelines for COVID', people will be infected. If you want, I'll go to Walmart and record the people who don't wear their mask properly, if at all.
That's what I'm trying to point out - that protocols and adherence to them have a greater influence on the spread, or lack thereof. Whether through policies, or pure luck, we've managed to wrestle it into practical inexistence in NS. I can't imagine it'll stay that way. This is something that gives me concern:

While they have every right to move back here and are adhering to the 2-week quarantine rule, they are on flights to NS and making their way to a residence upon arrival - lots of opportunities for an asymptomatic carrier to pass it on to someone before they actually get into a quarantined state. As a byproduct, there's been a surprising mini real estate boom here over the past few months.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
If you want, I'll go to Walmart and record the people who don't wear their mask properly, if at all.
No need, we've all seen the morons at Walmart or wherever.

My favorite was the guy at my local CVS, wearing a bright red 'Trump' mask, when I was picking up my meds. His nose was uncovered and he kept shouting at the pharmacist as she backed away. We can all hear 'ya pal. Relatively young guy too.

It took every inch of self-control I had not to shout out, Pu$$y!!!

I mean, what would his Fearless Leader think, right? :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Neighborhoods have these- called 'Little Library'. People build them in whatever form they like and put them in their yard, so people can borrow and swap books. Can be kids' books (most of what is in my neighborhood), or whatever.
Great. A neighborhood library exchange. :)

highfigh

highfigh

No need, we've all seen the morons at Walmart or wherever.

My favorite was the guy at my local CVS, wearing a bright red 'Trump' mask, when I was picking up my meds. His nose was uncovered and he kept shouting at the pharmacist as she backed away. We can all hear 'ya pal. Relatively young guy too.

It took every inch of self-control I had not to shout out, Pu$$y!!!

I mean, what would his Fearless Leader think, right? :D
I would have been seen as a bad person if I had been at the Trader Joe's when the woman who claimed (shouted, actually) that she had breathing problems. Me? Keep my yap shut? Not for a bitch like that.

I get some bad looks when I stand in a self-checkout line at the grocery store and some semi-fashionable woman is scanning one piece, pausing to say something to whoever is on the other end of the call, slowly reaches in to grab the next thing that just has to be next, rather than grabbing whatever is available, slowly scanning and seeing that it didn't work, gets upset and has to call someone over to help. She's far more interested in her phone call than getting out so the rest of us can finish before next year, so I usually say something like "If I was in the checkout line, I would probably put my phone away!".

And for that, I'M the bad guy.

highfigh

highfigh

That's what I'm trying to point out - that protocols and adherence to them have a greater influence on the spread, or lack thereof. Whether through policies, or pure luck, we've managed to wrestle it into practical inexistence in NS. I can't imagine it'll stay that way. This is something that gives me concern:

While they have every right to move back here and are adhering to the 2-week quarantine rule, they are on flights to NS and making their way to a residence upon arrival - lots of opportunities for an asymptomatic carrier to pass it on to someone before they actually get into a quarantined state. As a byproduct, there's been a surprising mini real estate boom here over the past few months.
I would say the people where you live are just more sensible about it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Possibly. But, again, we may just be lucky...so far.
@Trell you disagree that there might be an element of luck in our keeping the virus out of Nova Scotia? While for the most part, people are acting sensibly, we aren't without our own share of wingnuts:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
@Trell you disagree that there might be an element of luck in our keeping the virus out of Nova Scotia? While for the most part, people are acting sensibly, we aren't without our own share of wingnuts:

I've given offence where none is intended and I apologize for that, but I'll give you my reply tomorrow.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've given offence where none is intended and I apologize for that, but I'll give you my reply tomorrow.
No offence taken. :)

Our neighbours in New Brunswick, who are part of our "Atlantic Bubble", had 17 new cases yesterday and another 13 today. After doing so well, it's quite frustrating to see.

highfigh

highfigh

Our neighbours in New Brunswick, who are part of our "Atlantic Bubble", had 17 new cases yesterday and another 13 today. After doing so well, it's quite frustrating to see.
Knowing that someone has to run the infrastructure and that needs to be in operation, here are a few things that could end this-

Everyone avoids everybody else for at least two weeks- stock up on food, daily meds, etc

Someone has to go out, wearing full PPE, to clean public spaces- EVERYTHING is sanitized.

EVERYONE needs to sanitize the place where they live. Everything, every place.

Nobody comes into any country, nobody leaves.

It would be impossible to treat people without some risk, but as long as fewer become infected, the ill (suddenly or chronically)/injured and dying would probably have better care because the medical teams wouldn't be working 24/7.

But the average guy on the street seems to know how to handle it, right? :mad:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Our neighbours in New Brunswick, who are part of our "Atlantic Bubble", had 17 new cases yesterday and another 13 today. A...
Oh, so you have a great 24% decline. ;) Pretty soon it will just disappear. :D

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Already the media is drumming up panic, saying Americans are starting to stockpile food and paper goods in response to possible unrest because of the election and Wuhan virus resurge! I went to the grocery store this morning, hardly anyone there, no long lines, plenty of goods on the shelves. Maybe they are preparing for panic. On the drive home saw city workers leaf blowing the street, no masks on! This city has $100 fine for not wearing a mask, guess the police have nothing better to do than levy mask citations.

highfigh

highfigh

Already the media is drumming up panic, saying Americans are starting to stockpile food and paper goods in response to possible unrest because of the election and Wuhan virus resurge! I went to the grocery store this morning, hardly anyone there, no long lines, plenty of goods on the shelves. Maybe they are preparing for panic. On the drive home saw city workers leaf blowing the street, no masks on! This city has $100 fine for not wearing a mask, guess the police have nothing better to do than levy mask citations.
I went to a Walmart a while back and saw a lot of people wearing the mask without covering their nose and'or mouth, or not at all. I called the local PD because the order was sent out by the Governor that everyone wears a mask in public, to ask who's supposed to enforce it. I was told that the legal team had decided it's unconstitutional to impose/collect fines for something that's not a law- was also told that the establishment should enforce the recommendation and in Wisconsin, they called it that, not a mandate.

It's not the police- it's local/state government who imposes this stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis