Bought new Onkyo TX-NR6050, hope I won't regret

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice. Any Recommendations in the 77-85” range? Trying to stay under 2k. 65” is too small incrementally. I sit at about 16’(have to recheck) so I’d like to go big. Thought about projector but it’s not really practical in this room.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I feel I’ve hijacked this thread enough without adding more to it. But, you asked.;) I think you can get a 77” C1 for under 2K while supplies last but hard to argue against a C2 from Costco for $2500 and they may drop more for the holidays.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I feel I’ve hijacked this thread enough without adding more to it. But, you asked.;) I think you can get a 77” C1 for under 2K while supplies last but hard to argue against a C2 from Costco for $2500 and they may drop more for the holidays.
That’s cool. I can pm you. Been awhile anyways lol.

B

Bald Italian

Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this anomaly with the 6050.
Every night I turn off the unit and it goes into standby. The app goes into standby and the web set-up page does, too.
However, in the morning, neither seem to handshake with the AVR until I do the "Power Button" 5 second reset and then all is fine again.
Is this normal or is there a setting on the web set-up that would solve this problem.

Thanks.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this anomaly with the 6050.
Every night I turn off the unit and it goes into standby. The app goes into standby and the web set-up page does, too.
However, in the morning, neither seem to handshake with the AVR until I do the "Power Button" 5 second reset and then all is fine again.
Is this normal or is there a setting on the web set-up that would solve this problem.

Thanks.
No, the one I had did wake from the web or app. Check your firmware and restart your phone/PC, from where your app and web control are being used.

Good luck

J

josephandrews222

Audiophyte
BTW, I returned my Onkyo TX-NR6050 to Costco and decided to keep the Denon AVR-S960H.

I'm very happy with it, especially for $600. Although $600 is only a $50 discount on a 2 year old model! it's original $650 MSRP was decent before Denon hiked up their price by $200 to $850 for the Pandemic and left it high when things are normal again!!:mad:

Then Denon replace it with the AVR-S970H new model, that is hiked up in price even more when the pandemic is over! That's why I went to Onkyo, because of price gouging by Denon. It pisses me off!!:mad:

I wish the Onkyo TX-NR6050 would had worked but I have a lot of Music 5.1 concert DVDs where the flipped channels won't sound good. I like to keep my music in discrete channels.
Mike, thanks for this thread.

I've lurked for (literally) decades on this site and suspect I have posts somewhere with another user name.

Thanks again for this thread...the $400.00 Costco deal on the 6050 has returned and I'm looking.

I don't want to bore you with details but the 6050 is of interest to me because it would be an inexpensive way to get a receiver that has two HDMI outputs--I currently have a 4in x 2out HDMI switch/splitter that connects and directs video inputs from a desktop computer, two gaming devices and satellite TV sources...outputted to Sony OLED TV and/or an Epson LCD projector.

It all works except occasionally there are (apparently) HDMI handshake issues that prevent any and all audio from playing on the Sony TV.

Turning on the gaming devices and switching the input from the satellite TV source back-and-forth with either of the gaming devices...and waiting...usually brings back the TV sound.

So the 6050 is interesting to me because of the pair of HDMI outs...

But my oh my the lengthy laundry list of problems (enumerated here by you and others)...my current set-up just sort of works (other than the HDMI issue described above)!

My current set-up is modest by your standards but it works for us. I hesitate to have to dig into new gear with the specificity necessary to get it all to work...and what you've described in this thread, frankly, is sort of a nightmare to me in this stage of my life.

I have a lifetime's worth of experience teaching and professing what many believe to be a rather complicated subject (organic chemistry) and therefore have some awareness of what everyday, rather intelligent Americans are willing to sink their teeth into.

Frankly, I"m not at all surprised that high-end home theater is a niche market--the whole thing is intimidating...with good reason!

Thanks for reading.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Mike, thanks for this thread.

I've lurked for (literally) decades on this site and suspect I have posts somewhere with another user name.

Thanks again for this thread...the $400.00 Costco deal on the 6050 has returned and I'm looking.

I don't want to bore you with details but the 6050 is of interest to me because it would be an inexpensive way to get a receiver that has two HDMI outputs--I currently have a 4in x 2out HDMI switch/splitter that connects and directs video inputs from a desktop computer, two gaming devices and satellite TV sources...outputted to Sony OLED TV and/or an Epson LCD projector.

It all works except occasionally there are (apparently) HDMI handshake issues that prevent any and all audio from playing on the Sony TV.

Turning on the gaming devices and switching the input from the satellite TV source back-and-forth with either of the gaming devices...and waiting...usually brings back the TV sound.

So the 6050 is interesting to me because of the pair of HDMI outs...

But my oh my the lengthy laundry list of problems (enumerated here by you and others)...my current set-up just sort of works (other than the HDMI issue described above)!

My current set-up is modest by your standards but it works for us. I hesitate to have to dig into new gear with the specificity necessary to get it all to work...and what you've described in this thread, frankly, is sort of a nightmare to me in this stage of my life.

I have a lifetime's worth of experience teaching and professing what many believe to be a rather complicated subject (organic chemistry) and therefore have some awareness of what everyday, rather intelligent Americans are willing to sink their teeth into.

Frankly, I"m not at all surprised that high-end home theater is a niche market--the whole thing is intimidating...with good reason!

Thanks for reading.
Even when home theater receivers and Home theater setup were more popular 10 years ago and before, it was still intimidating for many so I helped setup friends and family member's home theaters.

I have 3 different HDMI switch boxes and HDMI hand shake issues can occur. It's easily fixed by switching the inputs back and forth on the switch boxes or as easy as shutting the TV off and then back on. I think the order of turning the devices on can create a missed communication signal so cycling switch box inputs or cycling TV power can correct that.

I honestly can't recommend Onkyo or their clone Pioneer Elite and Integra products after my experience. I was all happy at first with such a 'bargain' priced receiver which was half the cost of other competing models. The more I used it the more I found wrong with it. The TX-NR6050 sounded really good in everything except the bass. I just couldn't get a subwoofer setting that sounded "right". I had my other system to compare to so it was easily heard. To compensate, I just turned the subwoofer output higher than it should had been. Even then it still didn't have the punch and kick (dynamics) that I had with my Denon receivers.

Then with the TX-NR6050 taking the surround side channel information from DD 5.1 soundtracks and redirecting that to the surround back channel speakers, while turning off the surround side channel speakers, I thought I had a defective receiver. in the meantime, Onkyo updated their manual to state this was normal behavior. I just don't understand this as it makes DVD concerts with DD 5.1 sound poor with the wrong speakers operating. Design defect they didn't want to fix so they just said 'normal operation'?? I don't know but I wasn't going to keep it. Also a lot of other weird things.

I have had Yamaha and Denon receivers and never had anything so weird or perform so negatively by design than this Onkyo. I was thinking about buying their 6 CD disc carousel player but after that experience with the receiver, no way. Pulled out my old Denon "DVD" player, and found it operates just like a CD player without the need of the TV being on. I've been using my HK CD dual tray player/recorder but it's remote can take several button pushes to do simple functions that others take 1 button push.

I had made a post on another forum about my receiver buying experience and how I really liked my new Denon AVR-S960h receiver. Since I don't know if I can link that here with rules and all, I'll copy here below.

Post from other forum

I then went to the Denon AVR-S960H. This is actually what I was looking for! The sound was really good, sounding as good as my AVR-2312ci! It had loud, dynamic bass which made music sound really good. The bass output level measurements were several decibels lower than the Onkyo TX-NR6050 sub output measurements but still sounded stronger with much more punch! Definitely had to be a dynamics issue with the Onkyo's subwoofer output where it was compressed, maybe by processing?

The Denon AVR-S960h processing for home theater was excellent as well with surround channel information staying in the surround speakers even in straight or direct 5.1 modes in my 7.1 setup! Things made sense also, no weird sound mode names that changed with having the virtualizer on or off.

Never had to do a reset either. This Denon AVR-S960h is what I was expecting a replacement receiver for the AVR-2312ci to be. Exceed or equal the sound performance and have more compatibility with today's surround sound formats and HDMI formats. The Denon AVR-S960H was definitely worth the extra $200 over the TX-NR6050 for me. The Onkyo TX-NR6050 was $400 from Costco and the Denon AVR-S960H was $600 from Amazon.

If memory is correct, I believe I bought my Denon AVR-2312ci for $650 back in 2012 when it's MSRP was $850. Technically I only saved $50 from the AVR-S960h "TRUE" MSRP of $650. It's artificial MSRP of $850 was jacked up even when the pandemic supply issues were nearly over. I wouldn't pay that $850 when it was a $200 price gouge used on the excuse of the pandemic. Fortunately Costco prices for receivers and speakers hadn't changed from the original MSRP even if those audio companies wanted to jack up prices unfairly using excuses. Costco prices remained the same and I have to give it to Costco for not taking advantage of their customers!

I'm very happy with the Denon AVR-S960H and have no regrets. If you look at the guts of the Denon AVR-S960H and the AVR-X2700h, they are the same except for the detachable power cable on the X2700h. The X2700h did add a RS232 port and some custom integration and remote zone inputs/outputs but that's about the difference. The X2700h also added audyssey XT over straight audyssey on the S960h. Since I'm not a fan of audyssey (thought XT sounded terrible on my AVR-2312ci), and didn't need the custom integration or zone features, I skipped the X2700h and went to S960H. I have a 7.1 speaker setup so I wasn't interested in paying for X3700h/X3800h with features I didn't want or need.

So far I'm impressed with the S960h.

Denon did this globally to all of the receivers, where you can change the speaker levels independently for each input plus have 2 presets for speaker setups. However I really liked the AVR-2312ci's better way of doing this. On the AVR-2312ci, you can independently change speaker levels for each "SOUND MODE" but not each input! This was a far better way of doing it and more functional IMO. For instance, I like multi channel stereo to have the subwoofer stronger to offset the additional speaker loudness. I can't do that now without affecting all sound modes on that input. Plus it doesn't follow over to other inputs, so I have to make changes now on each input and remember to put it back when I'm done listening. Just a gripe where change doesn't mean it's better.

The Denon AVR-S960H has been a very good receiver. The sound quality in stereo is top notch and I honestly can't find any negatives compared to my Denon AVR-2312ci that's in my other HT System now. The home theater sound quality is really nice. While I don't have Atmos speakers (Height, reflecting or ceiling), the Atmos soundtracks sound excellent through the side and back surround speakers, along with the front speakers. Atmos soundtracks on this receiver sound more pinpoint accurate for surround effects compared to normal 5.1 upmixed to 7.1. One of the great benefits of Atmos is that it's always a 7.1 soundtrack opposed to the normal 5.1 soundtracks with a rare DD+ 7.1 sound track. Most of my 4K movies are streamed so they use DD+.

I really can't think of anything I don't like about this receiver other than many of the settings can't be seen through the front display of the receiver unlike the AVR-2312ci. The Denon AVR-3803 didn't display it's settings on it's front display either, needing the on-screen menu on a TV.

HDMI communications work well with no HDCP issues. With my Polk TSI100 bookshelf speakers, the receiver powers them as good as the AVR-2312ci. They are relatively easy to drive with an 8 Ohm impedance and a high SPL plus my powered subwoofer takes away the need to power bass frequencies. Maybe a full range tower speaker with a 4 ohm impedance and an 85 db SPL would put the receiver to work, but I honestly don't think it would power a pair of speakers like that any worse than my AVR-2312ci.

I'm just very impressed with this receiver right now. I just don't find anything not to like. Just thought I throw this thread out there as the forum seems a bit slow going lately. Usually people only post about things they don't like or need help fixing issues. Thought I post about something I like.

B

Bald Italian

Enthusiast
In short, I’m very, very happy with my 6050. It does everything I want & need.

M

Maze400

Audiophyte
I have the NR7100 and the NR6050. So I have a question about Dirac live and THX. If you go through the trouble of running Dirac, why does THX mode turn it off? And why does my system seem to sound better in THX cinema (Dirac off) mode than it does in DDSUR or DD (Dirac on)?

B

Bald Italian

Enthusiast
I have the NR7100 and the NR6050. So I have a question about Dirac live and THX. If you go through the trouble of running Dirac, why does THX mode turn it off? And why does my system seem to sound better in THX cinema (Dirac off) mode than it does in DDSUR or DD (Dirac on)?
That says a lot about Dirac, doesn't it? I use none of the calibration formats. I measure, set distances and run with it.

M

Maze400

Audiophyte
That says a lot about Dirac, doesn't it? I use none of the calibration formats. I measure, set distances and run with it.
I'm not sure if this is a Dirac live issue or the AVR? DSUR takes a stereo signa and makes it 5.1. It take 5.1 and makes it 7.1 (virtually in my case) with a 5.1 setup.. The center channel sounds better watching TV in DD which is true 5.1, only issue there is the AVR switches to 2.1 when a commercial comes on.

All my speakers are measured with a SPL meter and balance to 76db. All are at zero adjustments with the exception of the surrounds. let is set to -05 and right is set to =1.5.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
What's even worse is that the stupid thing didn't come with a manual. They refer you to a download. So now I have to run back and forth from room to room so I can read manual.
They quite giving hard copy owners manuals with receivers many years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis