Beta Tester for New El Cheapo Speaker Needed

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought so. Are you keeping the ECT? Thanks alot for the review. I like Katy too, she is underrated and has a good range. If you get a chance watch the Kacey Musgraves(she is awesome) and Katy Perry Crossroads: http://www.cmt.com/shows/cmt_crossroads/cmt-crossroads-katy-perry-and-kacey-musgraves/1728217/playlist/#id=1728217
Yep, I now own the ECTs! I'll likely set them up as a 2.0 in a guest bedroom with a Yamaha integrated amp I have.
These make an excellent entry-level option because they provide decent bass! That means sub is optional. Their balance is very good. Haven't seen FR yet, but these don't need Audyssey to "fix" them (it really helped make stock BS-22's better speakers). What that means is all you need is any working receiver/integrated amp off of Craigs list ($50 to $80?) and you have a wonderful stereo music system!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
or NHD - Not Horrible Daytons ;) (or Now Hear this Dayton)

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Need to change that name from ECT to DNA - Dayton Now Accurate.:)

You should have bought one of the former AA speakers - maybe you and
afterlife2 can switch speakers for awhile.:)
Yeah, wish I had a proper name to use, but I figure after the name is finalized, I will edit name and repost comparison as a stand alone thread so it will turn up in searches.

It would have been great to have an AA to compare, but I would still consider the stock FS52 better, since the AA is no longer available.

You highlight another advantage of the ECT's. Dennis said he lost over 50% of sales when people found out how much the AA's would cost to ship. The DNA/ETC's are light. I will need to measure, but I think the walls can not be more than 1/2" and suspect they are 3/8. But the story is in the resonance, which is not an issue after Murphy added the braces.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You highlight another advantage of the ECT's. Dennis said he lost over 50% of sales when people found out how much the AA's would cost to ship. The DNA/ETC's are light. I will need to measure, but I think the walls can not be more than 1/2" and suspect they are 3/8. But the story is in the resonance, which is not an issue after Murphy added the braces.
Since I know Dennis's work, I am sure that they are nice - however, the light
weight would keep my eyes on them more than listening to them.o_O

Since he likes to stay busy - this new deal should do the trick.

Them New Wave buyout speakers are on special today - and I went ahead
and bought a pair (down from $48 each to $25 each). The boxes are stated
to be 14 lbs each. I will find out. I expect them to be much better than the
stock Daytons and some of them Dayton clones.
https://www.parts-express.com/new-wave-audio-bk-52b-5-1-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black--309-620

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^^Those look nice. Clone Like, but nicer looker than the Pio 22's.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^Those look nice. Clone Like, but nicer looker than the Pio 22's.
They use to go under the name Azend speakers.:)

At least that former name was close to the name Ascend,
well most likely in name only.:)

Now if the box weight is true - Then at least a DIY person
will have some nice boxes.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since I know Dennis's work, I am sure that they are nice - however, the light weight would keep my eyes on them more than listening to them.o_O
Sorry to be dense, but I don't follow watching light weight?!?

I checked and the Daytons are one box at 30.4 pounds/pair.
The FS52's are two boxes at 29.1 pounds/each.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
lol you forget I have them. Does the tweeter look the same?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to be dense, but I don't follow watching light weight?!?

I checked and the Daytons are one box at 30.4 pounds/pair.
The FS52's are two boxes at 29.1 pounds/each.
What I mean is, sometimes the mind can play tricks or get in the way
with knowing that they are lightweight, and that you may be missing
something in the sound - a slight distraction. However, if something
sounds good - then it should be good.

15 lbs for a 30" tall and 9.5" deep speaker, is unique to say the least.
However, Dennis knows his stuff - and he should do well with these
and sell many, since it will be easier on the shipping.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What I mean is, sometimes the mind can play tricks or get in the way
with knowing that they are lightweight, and that you may be missing
something in the sound - a slight distraction. However, if something
sounds good - then it should be good.

15 lbs for a 30" tall and 9.5" deep speaker, is unique to say the least.
However, Dennis knows his stuff - and he should do well with these
and sell many, since it will be easier on the shipping.
I know what you mean! I knew they were way lighter than expected, but every time I picked them up they were lighter, still!

However, once I started listening to them they got heavy in my "mind's eye". The bass is tight and solid and there is nothing in the appearance or sound to reveal the weight. I could not maintain the idea that these were "under-built" and they (psycho-perception) gained weight! It seems, just as sight takes priority over sound (McGurke effect), that Sound in the Present takes priority over Muscle/Weight of the Past. Throughout the comparison, my perception had them weighing more than the Pioneers (even though I knew better) presumably because of the bass! Interesting stuff.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'm just catching up with this. Thanks for such a thorough review Kurt. I'll enter my own opinion as to whether the el cheapo is better than my modded version of the Pioneer tower. Since my mod didn't affect the 52's bass response, I'll echo Kurt's opinion of bass reproduction. The Dayton goes a good bit lower, and will also play louder before bottoming out, and is cleaner overall. I slightly prefer the midrange and lower highs of the Daytons--I think they have a bit more detail than the modded 52, perhaps because the driver layout is simpler, and the greater horn loading of the replacement Vifa tweeter on the Daytons gives a more focused sound to the lower treble. At the same time, the Pioneer replacement tweeter has a bit more air at the very top, and provides a slightly wider sound stage. All that is kind of a wash--the main advantage of the Dayton mod vs. the Pioneer Mod is the superior bass response. And lower shipping costs. Thanks again Kurt!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Are we still playing the naming game?

Since Dennis Murphy is such a class ACT, I'll offer up: Affordable Clarity Towers. I like that it also seems in the vein of Affordable Accuracy.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Are we still playing the naming game?

Since Dennis Murphy is such a class ACT, I'll offer up: Affordable Clarity Towers. I like that it also seems in the vein of Affordable Accuracy.
That sounds pretty good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis