Best mid range receiver for 4 ohm towers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah my max volume is more to just prevent accidents....same for start-up volume as otherwise it tends to use last used.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. Cheers lovinthehd. I will set an internal limit, which should be the safest option. Pesky kids!!
One caution, they're often input oriented as well, so check setting with each input if that's how your avr's logic works.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Tha

Thanks Peng. Makes sense when you put it like that! Got a 3 year old boy that is obsessed with remote controls. So, there is a real risk of him accidentally (on purpose) cranking up the volume without me knowing. Tbh it'll probably be me that does it, and wondering why the AVR volume isn't increasing when I'm actually listening to the tv source or something.
What's the safest workaround for this, as this could be genuinely be a problem now i think of it? That's before I factor in the missus and her whinging about "why there are so many remotes and, by the way, which one does the volume again"....

Can i set the AVR to not exceed a maximum volume or won't the the AVR's own protection mechanism kick in when it senses such a steep rise in volume?
It is a good idea to use the max volume feature, I never used it until I read about, and experienced weird things since I acquired my first Anthem AVP. Here's the worst case I have read about how one actually got so upset about his new $7,000 AVM 90, I don't know if he ended up getting a full refund or replacement by Crutchfield, assuming he did, he still have to pay for the speaker damage.

Official Anthem AVM 70/90 Owners Thread | Page 1115 | AVS Forum

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good shout dlaloum. I will ask Monitor audio if they have more deets on my speakers such as the EDPR graph
It is a good idea, if you do get something from them please share the info, as it would help others.

If you couldn't get the curve/info from them, I would say don't worry about it. I thought I mentioned before, that I had installed a 5.1 Monitor Audio Silver 8 in a very large room, and had no issue driving them with a Marantz SR7009 AVR, never even had to set volume above -15 to get very loud level from 4 meters. The room was about 30X25 and open to a large living room and kitchen. As I alluded to, the EPDR thing is good, but often got over emphasized on forums for no good reason.

Monitor Audioholic

Monitor Audioholic

Audioholic Intern
Status update!!
Just pressed the button on the X4800H, as I figure anything the X3800H can handle, will also apply to the X4800H. Got what looks like a decent deal on a customer return (£1,300 -Richer Sounds), which has had a software update, full check over by Denon engineers and has being cleared as in A1 condition (...I wish it was an actual A1!! ).

Thank you all sooo much for your help with making what is a complex life changing decision!

I may tap you up again for some guidance on any set up issues that I encounter.
Merci buckets, guys, and gals!!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Status update!!
Just pressed the button on the X4800H, as I figure anything the X3800H can handle, will also apply to the X4800H. Got what looks like a decent deal on a customer return (£1,300 -Richer Sounds), which has had a software update, full check over by Denon engineers and has being cleared as in A1 condition (...I wish it was an actual A1!! ).

Thank you all sooo much for your help with making what is a complex life changing decision!

I may tap you up again for some guidance on any set up issues that I encounter.
Merci buckets, guys, and gals!!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Nice choice of receiver. (See the Spoiler in my sig ;))

Monitor Audioholic

Monitor Audioholic

Audioholic Intern
Ah, ha! Gotcha Eppie. Just seen the spoiler. I'm glad that I seem to have made a good choice of receiver! I presume that you are very happy with it?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It has more features than the 2310ci that it replaced so there was a bit of learning curve to start but it has been performing well without issues. CEC control over HDMI does not always work as expected, but that is a known problem with any AVR. Runs a little warmer than my old AVR and I have it inside a cabinet so I may add a cooling fan to improve airflow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis