Is QED speaker cable worth the coin?

• Thread starter Monitor Audioholic
  • Start date
Monitor Audioholic

Monitor Audioholic

Audioholic Intern
Hi
After some sage advice taken from fellow Audioholics, I've recently ordered the Denon X4800H and I'm wondering if i should upgrade my silver anniversary cable to latest qed invention (XT40i).
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/qed-reference-xt40i.
If so, I need 20m in my room. Should I also upgrade to their airloc plugs?Or are the qed airloc plugs not worth the extra cost? Will standard banana plugs work just as well?
My set up is as below:

5:1 Set up
Screen: Sony 55X90J
Denon AVC-X4800H
Fronts: MA Silver 8i (4 ohms floorstanders)
Centre: MA Silver LCR
Surrounds: MA RS1
Sub: REL Q100E

Monitor Audioholic

Monitor Audioholic

Audioholic Intern
Ha ha! Don't mince your words Trell!!
Thanks for saving me a chunk of change! Any idea what will suffice? Leave my silver anniversary on?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for saving me a chunk of change! Any idea what will suffice? Leave my silver anniversary on?
Any cable of sufficient size to carry the current for minimum resistance.

You can use the linked table, but use say 1 to 2 size larger just to be ultra conservative.

Edit: forgot to include the link, there are many, but this one was written by someone who was former a Director of McIntosh's loudspeakers department so I trust his, without checking for correctness myself.

Speaker Wire (roger-russell.com)

Cables have no sound of their own, neither do amplifiers that are well designed, and performed well on test benches, as long as they are operating well below their limits. Those that have their own "sound" should be avoided, even if you are in the trust your ears camp, because then you would have to spend lots of time auditioning different ones at your own listening environments to find out what your ears prefer. Specs and measurements are what people should trust if they can think logically.

Sorry, just trying to answers questions you might have and have not asked yet. Those who really believe the "trust you ears" thing over specs and measurements will never be convinced by any arguments, and/or facts based on science, verified by measurements as they could always say there are things not measured, yet affect "sound", then everyone will just have to shut up. lol...

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Hi
After some sage advice taken from fellow Audioholics, I've recently ordered the Denon X4800H and I'm wondering if i should upgrade my silver anniversary cable to latest qed invention (XT40i).
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/qed-reference-xt40i.
If so, I need 20m in my room. Should I also upgrade to their airloc plugs?Or are the qed airloc plugs not worth the extra cost? Will standard banana plugs work just as well?
My set up is as below:

5:1 Set up
Screen: Sony 55X90J
Denon AVC-X4800H
Fronts: MA Silver 8i (4 ohms floorstanders)
Centre: MA Silver LCR
Surrounds: MA RS1
Sub: REL Q100E
If your current cable is of sufficient gauge...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It must be worth the coin, they names it 'QED'. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think the most important thing you did was ask. These companies that remove money from the pockets of the ill-informed have been in business for years and magazines continue to prop them up with what amounts to nothing more than articulated bullshit.

The wire matters myth has been around for decades, and continues to exist despite all the evidence that says that it's just hokum. Yet, everyone is free to spend their money as they choose.

The link to the wire size guide that @PENG posted has been around for well over a decade now as far as I know. It's a simple explanation of things, but more importantly carries the research and ability to back up what is being said and includes a simple and handy chart to allow people to buy more easily.

I think the big thing about a company like QED is that they hide the information that actually matters, which is the gauge of the wire in use. Since this is a massive consideration, hiding it means they are leaning heavy into marketing over actual quality. Or more accurately, they are going to steal your money without giving you a real world improvement.

Don't change a thing, but if you are in a try and test mood, then pick up some thicker copper cable and give it a try.

You can do the same with banana plugs if you want. There are tons of brands out there, but spending more than a few bucks per plug tends to be a bit much in my book. Others may disagree, but the main point of any banana plug is to make a good electrical connection between the amplifier and the speaker wire, while adding convenience to the installation. So, that's up to you as well. I like plugs similar to what these guys offer...

Glad you asked instead of just spending money and being perfectly happy with the new product, but a lot poorer for the effort for no reason.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The British WhatHiFi magazine is indeed an unreliable review and most likely the worst of all audio product publishing magazines.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The two decade old QED white papers were much more real engineering than their new marketing department snake oil papers.

Monitor Audioholic

Monitor Audioholic

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Guys! I won't fall into the snake oil trap! Gosh, I so nearly did too...
Thank you!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis