Audyssey killing my HT sound?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's very true -- I prefer such systems turned off, as I feel like I am hearing the soundtrack (and my speakers) as they were meant to be heard, warts and all (not so much with my speakers, but...).

I've always set up my systems by ear.
As others pointed out, and often supported with measurements, if you prefer accurate frequency response (relatively speaking) then you should run Audyssey, assuming you have XT32 and Sub EQ HT (if you have more than one subwoofer). If not, sure, tune it by ears until you think it sounds best to you.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I will say something in defense of Audyssey, the app makes a world of difference. Get the app for a much better experience.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's very true -- I prefer such systems turned off, as I feel like I am hearing the soundtrack (and my speakers) as they were meant to be heard, warts and all (not so much with my speakers, but...).

I've always set up my systems by ear.
So you just prefer preference :) I've had much better results with Audyssey than trying "by ear" when I've compared, but then again the geq isn't as good as Audyssey's in the first place. Or do you just go straight wire as much as possible no matter the volume levels? The soundtrack has tons of eq involved nor is your system the same as it was mixed on, so there's that, too.....

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
Are you saying you prefer the sound of your system WITHOUT room correction applied?
100% i used my omni mic. The subs had good extension to 10hz, my guess room gain. Each channel was tested and for the most part was flat. Room decay was under 30ms, i really think it was 20ms, which was awesome. Im using (4) vintage 15” AdireTumults in 3cube sealed cabs. The amps are QSC1450 bridges 4ohms, they loaf because i use (4). The MiniDSP ended up a rca splitter for the four amps because where they are located other than bringing them to 75db equally at the LP, i didnt do any eq. I ended up using 60hz subs to mains XO for all channels, 80hz revealed the subs didnt sound as good as the the main LRC which have dual 8”DaytonRS225’s, they sounded wayyyy better 60hz and above. Its a 7.1.4 Atmos with all DIY mains and surrounds from HTguide.com, the (4) Atmos speakers are little SVS. The 7 surround channels use (7) outlaw m200 mono’s so with their nominal 4ohm load they “can” put out 300watts per, which they rarely see.
The parallel walls are using diffusers ranging like 700hz to geez i forgot haha, but no flutter echo. The FRP use 4” OC703 and three of the four corners use super chunk bass traps 2’x2’ by the height of the vaulted ceiling, the toos are slanted to fit. I built a 600lb acoustic door to isolate me from the rest of the house, i’ll try to get the link its cool as hell. Oh, skyline diffusers to on parallel walls, as you can imagine, its dedicated

all systems are far from reference, i find that using my omni mic and my ears, the result is pretty pleasing, im not sure Audyssey is reference anyway, it works great in rooms that are inherently flawed which mine isnt Lol,
Its pretty spectacular.

Preference to reference, no body has reference anything. Mist peoples systems dont even have the proper amperage to power their systems Lol. Im using (4) real 20amp breakers which are home runs of 10ga, and about to run another 10ga line for another 20amps

and to top it off i run 1080p/HDR JVCRS400 with a Veryex2, it not even 4k Lol, but its CIH 2.35:1 100”x42” acoustic transparent screen, its an amazing amazing room.

Try to have fun man, cheers

Last edited:
H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
So the only reference is Audyssey ? Oh now thats just plain silly.
Humor me, turn off audyssey calibrate everything manually and try it. I dont want to run a correction setup and then go back and resetup the automatic setup Lol, if it works as intended then its one run and done………but its not haha ya gotta get ur app out and tweak, you know get it right, meh to much work. Its ok i guess, but certainly not for me. Most times the XO is all wrong, the levels are probably right, and i aint letting no auto setup mess with my 2.5 octaves of the best sealed sub’n i’ve heard anywhere Lol

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Humor me, turn off audyssey calibrate everything manually and try it. I dont want to run a correction setup and then go back and resetup the automatic setup Lol, if it works as intended then its one run and done………but its not haha ya gotta get ur app out and tweak, you know get it right, meh to much work. Its ok i guess, but certainly not for me
No one said it's the only reference....it's simply a tool with a variety of ways to implement. I've done the turn off thing and manually set levels/eq....just wasn't as good. It doesn't mean its your preference in any case. Of course it's not the only reference, you can try and get there in other ways, Audyssey simply makes it simpler for most. If you don't like it, don't use it. Or use it selectively as some of the features can be useful, but depends which ones you use to an extent as well. So let's see your measurements of your "ear" determined best response.....

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
No one said it's the only reference....it's simply a tool with a variety of ways to implement. I've done the turn off thing and manually set levels/eq....just wasn't as good. It doesn't mean its your preference in any case. Of course it's not the only reference, you can try and get there in other ways, Audyssey simply makes it simpler for most. If you don't like it, don't use it. Or use it selectively as some of the features can be useful, but depends which ones you use to an extent as well. So let's see your measurements of your "ear" determined best response.....
Oh i’ve been around the “measurement” block a few times, they get picked apart like an Essay in ninth grade english class Lol. Ahhh we’re gonna have just end this here :0)

heres my door, its a beauty, and thats me, enjoi boys

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
Pouring over measurements is like defending ur thesis, no matter how good they end up picking on this and that, yuck

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Humor me, turn off audyssey calibrate everything manually and try it. I dont want to run a correction setup and then go back and resetup the automatic setup Lol, if it works as intended then its one run and done………but its not haha ya gotta get ur app out and tweak, you know get it right, meh to much work. Its ok i guess, but certainly not for me. Most times the XO is all wrong, the levels are probably right, and i aint letting no auto setup mess with my 2.5 octaves of the best sealed sub’n i’ve heard anywhere Lol
Audyssey is not a "reference" at all. Correlating measurements to subjective user preference has been done over and over for a long time now. They've gotten pretty good at predicting preferences, but it does come down to subjective perception.

No one is saying you have to like a neutral or accurate response. If you prefer it a mess there's nothing wrong with that and can be your "reference". Afterall reference is a moving target... it can be different for everyone. So you can have right at it.

The field of psychoacoustics does have it down to a science tho, and can predict preferences based on measurements with pretty darned good accuracy.

Pouring over measurements is like defending ur thesis, no matter how good they end up picking on this and that, yuck
Tryna explain science and measurements to a pure subjectivist is like tryna explain evolution to a fundamental theist... the more evidence you present the more they double down and refuse to even look at it. yuck.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Most times the XO is all wrong, the levels are probably right, and i aint letting no auto setup mess with my 2.5 octaves of the best sealed sub’n i’ve heard anywhere Lol
The crossovers are almost always wrong, but those are determined by the manufacturer, not Audyssey.

Audyssey isn't perfect. It's a tool that attempts a linear response, and can usually get you closer to it. I don't just run it and forget it tho. I follow up with measurements and tweaking.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure you realize that some people hate Room EQ and some people love it.

The key is to try it. Then see for yourself if you prefer it or not.

I also think that if you don't like Audyssey XT32, then chances are you won't like any of the other Room EQ either. The reason I say that is because I have heard most of the Room EQ's available. And I didn't prefer any one of them, not just Audyssey XT32.

So don't feel so bad. :D
Same here.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
As others pointed out, and often supported with measurements, if you prefer accurate frequency response (relatively speaking) then you should run Audyssey, assuming you have XT32 and Sub EQ HT (if you have more than one subwoofer). If not, sure, tune it by ears until you think it sounds best to you.
I have everything balanced at the primary listening position in terms of channel trims (with the center bumped up 2dB higher than the rest for dialogue compensation -- how I always run my setups -- as well as the surround left reduced a few dB because that particular in-ceiling speaker is closer to the sweet spot), and I have my crossovers dialed in manually based on my knowledge of my speakers (and based on feedback I have received from one manufacturer in particular, Polk, which advised me that 60Hz was ideal for my front RTi12 towers) as well as my distances set via manual tape measurements.

My AVR doesn't boast those advanced Audyssey platforms, just 2EQ, but I'm not running dual subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The salient thing is whatever sounds best to YOU, not whatever sounds best anyone else.

I think we have communication barriers because of labeling such as ”more accurate", implying that one is BETTER than the other.

Ask for opinions. Tweak your system the way you want. So many movies and TV series to watch and music to listen. Enjoy!

Last edited:
H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
We’ve been poisoned by the term referenc
Audyssey is not a "reference" at all. Correlating measurements to subjective user preference has been done over and over for a long time now. They've gotten pretty good at predicting preferences, but it does come down to subjective perception.

No one is saying you have to like a neutral or accurate response. If you prefer it a mess there's nothing wrong with that and can be your "reference". Afterall reference is a moving target... it can be different for everyone. So you can have right at it.

The field of psychoacoustics does have it down to a science tho, and can predict preferences based on measurements with pretty darned good accuracy.

Tryna explain science and measurements to a pure subjectivist is like tryna explain evolution to a fundamental theist... the more evidence you present the more they double down and refuse to even look at it. yuck.
Im glad we agree :0) knew you’d see it my way

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have everything balanced at the primary listening position in terms of channel trims (with the center bumped up 2dB higher than the rest for dialogue compensation -- how I always run my setups -- as well as the surround left reduced a few dB because that particular in-ceiling speaker is closer to the sweet spot), and I have my crossovers dialed in manually based on my knowledge of my speakers (and based on feedback I have received from one manufacturer in particular, Polk, which advised me that 60Hz was ideal for my front RTi12 towers) as well as my distances set via manual tape measurements.

My AVR doesn't boast those advanced Audyssey platforms, just 2EQ, but I'm not running dual subs.
2EQ is not even close to the better Audyssey platforms.....it's pretty bad by all accounts as it's not even a MultEQ version. FWIW.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We’ve been poisoned by the term referenc

Im glad we agree :0) knew you’d see it my way
You know it's funny, I thought I was quoting someone else who didn't agree and didn't realize it until after I re read your post...

Then I re read my post and thought "meh, it still works..." :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we have communication barriers because of labeling such as ”more accurate", implying that one is BETTER than the other.
I've thought about that and have been trying to say "more linear" instead. That's actually a more accurate (pun not intended) way to describe it anyway I think.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've thought about that and have been trying to say "more linear" instead. That's actually a more accurate (pun not intended) way to describe it anyway I think.
Yeah, I always say "linear" or especially "FLATTER". :D

Some prefer a more linear/ruler-flat FR, some want this: :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis