Audyssey killing my HT sound?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And? Well here it is bubby! I remember where you started from Pogre! You didn't always have those very nice speakers and that RBH Sub you got stashed behind your couch that you won't sell me! Guess it's true what they, once someone hits the big time they forget about their friends in low places.
Yup. Just me up here by myself on my ivory subwoofer... :p

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
I will use it at customers houses where the system is in a livingroom, no acoustic treatments, non optimal setup, all the things that plague most peoples systems. It sometimes helps, but there again, I’ll double check settings and sure enough levels as far as Audyssey is concerned are off, always off, not just once in awhile. This has been fun but im done, i get a headache having to prove my point, im too smart, too old, and most of all…..my system is wayyyyy better than anyone here hahahaha im going to make some popcorn for me and the others here, cheers boys

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I will use it at customers houses where the system is in a livingroom, no acoustic treatments, non optimal setup, all the things that plague most peoples systems. It sometimes helps, but there again, I’ll double check settings and sure enough levels as far as Audyssey is concerned are off, always off, not just once in awhile. This has been fun but im done, i get a headache having to prove my point, im too smart, too old, and most of all…..my system is wayyyyy better than anyone here hahahaha im going to make some popcorn for me and the others here, cheers boys
Lol, yeah I'm just picking about Adyssey, it is one of the better ones to use. @Pogre gotta very nice setup, better than most on AH, he knows, I know he doesn't need much of if any Adyssey correction not with those speakers he's got.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, so much wordification and graphicacation :rolleyes: so much proofication and rationalization, trust ur ears.

i have also seen that measurements are only as good as that moment and that exact place of the mic was taken Lol, i mean that exact place LxWxH location which is where my head isnt in a locked location. Its a bit more forgiving of lower frequencies
True. We move the Microphone 1mm in any direction and the measurement can change significantly.

And it's not like our Ears will be in THAT exact precise microphone location when we listen to music and watch movies. :D

So that ONE SNAPSHOT from that ONE Microphone Location isn't going to be the same location as our ears. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These aren't the "tools" you're looking for. :D

Just let go, Luke. Don't use Auto Room Correction. Just use the FORCE! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
True. We move the Microphone 1mm in any direction and the measurement can change significantly.

And it's not like our Ears will be in THAT exact precise microphone location when we listen to music and watch movies. :D

So that ONE SNAPSHOT from that ONE Microphone Location isn't going to be the same location as our ears. :D
That's only true for your main speakers and frequencies above the Schroeder frequency. When it comes to subwoofers and bass this does not apply.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

So if even 1 mm makes a difference, then why people continue to tell us that swapping out an amp with another one, compare in pure direct they immediately heard details they never heard before, much wider and deeper soundstage blablabla... Do you think they somehow manage to freeze themselves so their ears would be in exactly the same spot while another person did the switching?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's only true for your main speakers and frequencies above the Schroeder frequency. When it comes to subwoofers and bass this does not apply.
Yeah, I think the Bass is the only thing that should get EQ, whether it is Auto or Manual EQ.

You recall when I was using my Denon AVP-A1HDCI, I always used Audyssey Dynamic EQ for that bass. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So if even 1 mm makes a difference, then why people continue to tell us that swapping out an amp with another one, compare in pure direct they immediately heard details they never heard before, much wider and deeper soundstage blablabla... Do you think they somehow manage to freeze themselves so their ears would be in exactly the same spot while another person did the switching?
Oh Lordy, you just had to bring up that perpetual amp-argument again? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh Lordy, you just had to bring up that perpetual amp-argument again? :D

WELL... he does bring up a good point! Maybe the folks who think they can hear differences actually just moved their head a millimeter when comparing!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
WELL... he does bring up a good point! Maybe the folks who think they can hear differences actually just moved their head a millimeter when comparing!
Or another point to all this is......What we ACTUALLY HEAR and what our Brains Interpret isn't completely in the measurement snapshot on paper. :D

Round and round it goes.

Whatever people believe or do, they can agree that it has to sound good at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or another point to all this is......What we ACTUALLY HEAR and what our Brains Interpret isn't really completely in the measurement snapshot on paper. :D
See, you and others make a statement like this as if measurements don't correlate at all or they're useless and that's just not true. Not if you know how to interpret those charts and make the adjustments.

The truth is we can predict subjective preferences based on that snapshot alone, demonstrably, before anyone hears it with very very good accuracy.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
To me I think auto room correction be it Yapo or Dirac or Audyssey is after all a guess by a processor is really just a guess by the particular processors readings to me a starting point . These built in tools are ment to be played with and used to suit the individual’s preferences- no room is the same , nobody hears the same and Iam sure the capabilities of the particular processor used .

Rew is a great program to use as is a good quality RTA with a good mic which I use myself . Most auto correction programs really seem to get distance very close I know mine does but Iam not all that intrigued with its results in the eq department .
Quality of gear and it’s capabilities is a big player in this too I’d say . An interesting thread .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
See, you and others make a statement like this as if measurements don't correlate at all or they're useless and that's just not true. Not if you know how to interpret those charts and make the adjustments.

The truth is we can predict subjective preferences based on that snapshot alone, demonstrably, before anyone hears it with very very good accuracy.
I think measurements generally correlate to what most of us hear.

If the bass region is +6dB or +9dB, then the bass is gonna be HOT.

If the treble is +6dB or +9dB, then the treble might sound a bit harsh or bright.

All I am saying is that if your system sounds awesome, there's no need to measure it just to confirm that it sounds awesome - unless you just want to spend that $110 on the UMIK-1 and measure it for fun. Or you want to see how the measurements correlate to what you like. :D

I think most of us do want the listening window of 200Hz - 10kHz to be as linear or as flat as possible - +/-3dB or less variance. And many of us want the bass region below 200Hz to be on the hot side because we love bass.

So, yes, measurements generally correlate to what we hear.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
All I am saying is that if your system sounds awesome, there's no need to measure it just to confirm that it sounds awesome - unless you just want to spend that $110 on the UMIK-1 and measure it for fun. Or you want to see how the measurements correlate to what you like. :D
That's fair enough, and I agree. If my system sounded "right" to begin with I wouldn't have gotten a mic or the Mini. I also think that there's more potential to mess things up than help if your baseline is good to start with. So room correction or too much tweaking could actually make it worse. So yeah, I agree. If you're happy with what you've got there's absolutely no reason to go any further with it.

In my case I had a pretty good audio system in my car and that used to be my gold standard (tryna avoid typing "reference" again... lol)... long story short my bass at home just never sounded as good as it did in my car so I got the gear, dug in and fixed it. So this all started with me wanting my home system to sound at least as good as my car system.

Now my car stereo is no longer my gold standard because I've got my HT system dialed in so well, but yeah. If it was good at the start I'd have never gotten into it so deep to begin with. As it was, my bass sucked and I was very unhappy with it.

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
Oh God, are we glorifying members because of their speakers they own, good grief charlie brown.

H

HT4Life

Audioholic Intern
Yup, subs measurements change by 6” movements of the mic Lol.

There are no exacts in the business, best speakers in the worst rooms, worst speakers in the best room, the variables are endless, get it close, no one, I repeat, no one is “there”, we’re all just floating around almost there.

im still not gonna use Audyssey, if its so magical, it would do its job with one sweep. I can run it seven times and get seven different results, but u have to get the app, you have to not let it near ur subs, you have to run it at midnight when electricity is quieter, you have to wait til the moon is in the seventh house hahaha OMG, hiw bout we throw in ebony pucks, or tice clocks, hokd on, power cables that cost thousands, when electricity runs on thousands of miles of aluminum, oh sure 6’ of copper is gonna fix it, come on boys……

cheers

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis