Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
So those are mains (L+R)+Suboofer(s),but what did you set the XO to? Did you try plotting it using higher XO, such as 90 Hz?

It looks to me your mains and subs have usage output bu may not be capable to output much more than 95 dB from you main mic position. That's why I suggested you try running REW at lower level, say 75 to 85 dB to see if the response would become flatter.

You can see that Audyssey did improve things though, even in bypass.

The dip that you are seeing at near and below 20 Hz may not be due to the App roll off, unless you are still missing the latest update. It could simply be, as I mentioned earlier, the speakers and sub(s) have reached their limit. Audyssey can give it a boost (not much if due to room mode) but is limited to 9 dB maximum and if you compare the red and the blue, it does look Audyssey has given it the best it could do already.

Below are screenshots of my App's subwoofer EQ before and after the update that removed the 20 Hz roll off.View attachment 29303View attachment 29304
Are you using iOS or Android? I'm running iOS tried to update my app and it still rolls off at 20hz. Wondering if the Apple version didn't get the update.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using iOS or Android? I'm running iOS tried to update my app and it still rolls off at 20hz. Wondering if the Apple version didn't get the update.
Not sure about @PENG but I use iOS. I thought it was pretty well verified iirc on AVS to be fixed. I can say in my case the roll off is gone. Yes I did measure with REW.
Are you using the app screens or rew to verify your results?

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
Not sure about @PENG but I use iOS. I thought it was pretty well verified iirc on AVS to be fixed. I can say in my case the roll off is gone. Yes I did measure with REW.
Are you using the app screens or rew to verify your results?
I use REW but right now I’m just looking at the baseline curve and it drops off. Wonder if my app didn’t update.
B738B368-DC38-4B2E-800E-B5ECC992A879.png

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I
I'm on iOS, and I don't have that roll off any longer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I use REW but right now I’m just looking at the baseline curve and it drops off. Wonder if my app didn’t update.
What subwoofers do you have? maybe I misread something but the impression I had was it would not attempt to maintain a flat response if it was obvious that your subwoofers could not support it. If your subs are ported, nothing will kill them faster then turning up the EQ below where they start to roll off. If Auyssey measured the knee at say 28 hz, It should not attempt to give you a flat response down to 20 hz. Your subs may be sealed but Audyssey has no way of knowing that so I imagine the algorithm it uses prevents EQ trying to turn it up at the lower frequencies.

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
What subwoofers do you have? maybe I misread something but the impression I had was it would not attempt to maintain a flat response if it was obvious that your subwoofers could not support it. If your subs are ported, nothing will kill them faster then turning up the EQ below where they start to roll off. If Auyssey measured the knee at say 28 hz, It should not attempt to give you a flat response down to 20 hz. Your subs may be sealed but Audyssey has no way of knowing that so I imagine the algorithm it uses prevents EQ trying to turn it up at the lower frequencies.
Right now it’s just a single Rythmik E15HP. It is sealed and goes down to 14hz.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just checking the details. Do you have the built-in EQ switch set at the 14 hertz position?

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
Just checking the details. Do you have the built-in EQ switch set at the 14 hertz position?
Yes set to 14hz, low dampening and rumble filter off for the calibration. PEQ off and using LFE in.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the Audyssey curve has your rolloff starting about 50 Hz which is truly ridiculous for that subwoofer regardless of the settings!
Sorry, I got nothing!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I may have misspoke about my version.
Mine is older than yours, and rynos. I DID update but can’t remember when.

Here’s my curve editor screen and my last measurement. Can’t believe it was WAY bs k in March. Lmao.

I have a dip now at 18hz. I need some quality time with my minidsp to finish it off. Maybe this winter yet. It comes from the interaction of my two front subs and the fact that the ceiling is 12’ above one and 9.5’ above the other.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Please post your before and your after results . If you go back to look at post number 265 , you can see how the EQ took 40 Hz as a rolloff point . I believe if you have a deep enough null in your room that could also cause a premature rolloff in the target curve .

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
Yeah, the Audyssey curve has your rolloff starting about 50 Hz which is truly ridiculous for that subwoofer regardless of the settings!
Sorry, I got nothing!
Hmm I wonder if posting the file and having someone load it in their app if it would still have the roll off.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm I wonder if posting the file and having someone load it in their app if it would still have the roll off.
I just dig out a graph for the E15HP that I was using with my tiny LS50s. There wasn't any obvious roll off below 20 Hz that I could see from the graph and that was taken before the App got updated.

I was trying out a AVR-X3400H at the time but I traded it in for a X4400H to do Atmos. The freed up the AV8801 that is now used in that same 2 channel system and it can't work with the App, so now I have no way of knowing the effect of the updated App on the E15HP. If it didn't roll off with the old version, you can be sure it shouldn't roll off with the updated version. So either you have some setting messed up, or if not, it could just be some nulls that are simply too much for Audyssey to fix. Have you tried moving it a couple of feet randomly just to see the effects?

Obviously, all else being equal, sealed subs generally roll off sooner than ported, but the E15HP is supposed to dip only 2 dB at 14 Hz.

E15HP, EQ's with the App version that would apply roll off from 20 Hz down:

1579959261988.png

Attachments

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just dig out a graph for the E15HP that I was using with my tiny LS50s. There wasn't any obvious roll off below 20 Hz that I could see from the graph and that was taken before the App got updated.

I was trying out a AVR-X3400H at the time but I traded it in for a X4400H to do Atmos. The freed up the AV8801 that is now used in that same 2 channel system and it can't work with the App, so now I have no way of knowing the effect of the updated App on the E15HP. If it didn't roll off with the old version, you can be sure it shouldn't roll off with the updated version. So either you have some setting messed up, or if not, it could just be some nulls that are simply too much for Audyssey to fix. Have you tried moving it a couple of feet randomly just to see the effects?

Obviously, all else being equal, sealed subs generally roll off sooner than ported, but the E15HP is supposed to dip only 2 dB at 14 Hz.

E15HP, EQ's with the App version that would apply roll off from 20 Hz down:

View attachment 33601
@PENG, I think his big evidence is on the curve editor screenshot. If you look at the one I posted, the red line goes all the way over to the left without dropping. On the one he posted. It starts to drop off early. I believe that is the big red flag, but I seem to remember an Audyssey app team member chimes in at AVS and said it was squared away. But now we see this.
I think an email to the developer would be in order.

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
@PENG, I think his big evidence is on the curve editor screenshot. If you look at the one I posted, the red line goes all the way over to the left without dropping. On the one he posted. It starts to drop off early. I believe that is the big red flag, but I seem to remember an Audyssey app team member chimes in at AVS and said it was squared away. But now we see this.
I think an email to the developer would be in order.
Please post your before and your after results . If you go back to look at post number 265 , you can see how the EQ took 40 Hz as a rolloff point . I believe if you have a deep enough null in your room that could also cause a premature rolloff in the target curve .
Here it is.

Attachments

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Your before chart does show (what I have to assume to be) a room null with the deep drop around 50Hz. Unfortunately there is little detail on exactly how Audyssey works, but I know @ATLAudio had a similar situation where Audyssey gave up on trying to provide flat bass below a room null he had. Once he eliminated the room null, Audyssey did a good job of maintaining flat in-room FR down to around 10Hz!
As a test, try moving your sub a foot or two to see if you can reduce the "before null" and see if the target curve improves. Even though this might put the sub somewhere where you would never actually locate it, it would confirm why this is happening. You could then look at feasible alternate locations or adding a second sub to reduce/eliminate the null!

@William Lemmerhirt and/or @PENG , I generally thought an EQ system like Audyssey could not do much with a null, since increasing the amplitude of the signal (gain) would only make the null deeper! Yet Audyssey seems to have done an impressive job of reducing it (if their chart is to be believed). Any ideas what is going on here?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno the details of EQing, so much, but that looks like some acoustical antics to me, too.
OP: can you please give some more details about your room size and set up? Please include total room volume or all dimensions LxWxH and whether it’s Open or closed to the rest of your home.
How did you determine placement for your Sub? And where is it in your room?
Thanks.

T

thepiecesfit

Enthusiast
Dunno the details of EQing, so much, but that looks like some acoustical antics to me, too.
OP: can you please give some more details about your room size and set up? Please include total room volume or all dimensions LxWxH and whether it’s Open or closed to the rest of your home.
How did you determine placement for your Sub? And where is it in your room?
Thanks.
The room is 29’ L, 17’ W, 10’ H at the highest point vaulted ceilings that open up into a kitchen. There is also a hallway. There are a lot of hard surfaces and glass cabinet which I understand is not ideal. I’ve recently added an area rug in front of the LCR speakers.

I am set up on the wide side of the room. The main listening position is 12.5 feet. The front speakers are 1 foot away from the wall and the couch is about 1 foot off the back wall as well. The subwoofer is located left of the sofa few inches off from the wall.

There was not much analysis as to placement it’s mostly there for convenience. I only recently purchased a Cross-Spectrum UMIK-1 and started to use REW. I do have a 50 foot subwoofer cable and can start to experiment more with placement. However, due to living space my options will be limited. Here is a visual of the space.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis