Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The low end just doesn't look right, but it could be due to Audyssey trying to integrate with the mains, if those curves are for the subwoofers only. In that case, your mains probably have very capable response below 50 Hz.

You can see the integrating effect in mine, the elevated bass between 55 and 100 Hz. That was leveled off if the left and rights were on, working together with the subwoofers.

Can you capture the graphs for left+right+subs all running please?
Here ya go. Audyssey seems to be drastically rolling off under 20hz and I can't figure out how to turn it off. In fact, the curve below never changes no matter what I do to the curve in the app. Kinda pointless if it doesn't do anything.

My mains are rated at 35hz-20khz, but I have no idea what they're actually capable of outputting.

I did Aydyssey app reference, L/R Bypass, and Audyssey off.

mans+subs.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Here ya go. Audyssey seems to be drastically rolling off under 20hz and I can't figure out how to turn it off. In fact, the curve below never changes no matter what I do to the curve in the app. Kinda pointless if it doesn't do anything.

My mains are rated at 35hz-20khz, but I have no idea what they're actually capable of outputting.

View attachment 29302
Have you tried running audyssey without the app? Just to see about the roll off?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 29302
So those are mains (L+R)+Suboofer(s),but what did you set the XO to? Did you try plotting it using higher XO, such as 90 Hz?

It looks to me your mains and subs have usage output bu may not be capable to output much more than 95 dB from you main mic position. That's why I suggested you try running REW at lower level, say 75 to 85 dB to see if the response would become flatter.

You can see that Audyssey did improve things though, even in bypass.

The dip that you are seeing at near and below 20 Hz may not be due to the App roll off, unless you are still missing the latest update. It could simply be, as I mentioned earlier, the speakers and sub(s) have reached their limit. Audyssey can give it a boost (not much if due to room mode) but is limited to 9 dB maximum and if you compare the red and the blue, it does look Audyssey has given it the best it could do already.

Below are screenshots of my App's subwoofer EQ before and after the update that removed the 20 Hz roll off.
Screenshot_20190415-195744.png
Screenshot_20190415-200659.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Have you tried running audyssey without the app? Just to see about the roll off?
Yes. I had Audyssey without the app since I set up the receiver. The original curves I posted we're from my initial measurements before using the app.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So those are mains (L+R)+Suboofer(s),but what did you set the XO to? Did you try plotting it using higher XO, such as 90 Hz?

It looks to me your mains and subs have usage output bu may not be capable to output much more than 95 dB from you main mic position. That's why I suggested you try running REW at lower level, say 75 to 85 dB to see if the response would become flatter.

You can see that Audyssey did improve things though, even in bypass.

The dip that you are seeing at near and below 20 Hz may not be due to the App roll off, unless you are still missing the latest update. It could simply be, as I mentioned earlier, the speakers and sub(s) have reached their limit. Audyssey can give it a boost (not much if due to room mode) but is limited to 9 dB maximum and if you compare the red and the blue, it does look Audyssey has given it the best it could do already.

Below are screenshots of my App's subwoofer EQ before and after the update that removed the 20 Hz roll off.View attachment 29303View attachment 29304
I have the latest version, but I'm wondering if yours is iOS with mine being Android. 1.4.0

This is my subwoofer curve.

Screenshot_20190504-144448.jpg

My subs are sealed diy using infinity 1260w drivers. I've got two more waiting to be made so I hope that will help smooth things out. I plan to upgrade in the future, but will make due with these until then.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the latest version, but I'm wondering if yours is iOS with mine being Android. 1.4.0

This is my subwoofer curve.

View attachment 29305

My subs are sealed diy using infinity 1260w drivers. I've got two more waiting to be made so I hope that will help smooth things out. I plan to upgrade in the future, but will make due with these until then.
That explains most (if not all) of what we are seeing, sealed sub tend to have less output in the lowest octaves. It is not a problem for people like me who watch movies at 70-75 dB or 80 dB average max.

Nope, mine is Android as well, mult EQ Version 1.4.0 So you do have the latest version, the roll off you are getting is clearly not because of Audyssey, but the limitation of your sealed sub. Again, that should have little or negligible effects if you stay 10 dB or more below reference, and assuming the up to 9 dB boost by Audyssey would not increase THD in the approx.13-65 Hz range, to the level it becomes noticeable.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That explains most (if not all) of what we are seeing, sealed sub tend to have less output in the lowest octaves. It is not a problem for people like me who watch movies at 70-75 dB or 80 dB average max.

Nope, mine is Android as well, mult EQ Version 1.4.0 So you do have the latest version, the roll off you are getting is clearly not because of Audyssey, but the limitation of your sealed sub. Again, that should have little or negligible effects if you stay 10 dB or more below reference, and assuming the up to 9 dB boost by Audyssey would not increase THD in the approx.13-65 Hz range, to the level it becomes noticeable.
I figured as much. Thanks for taking a look. I'll tweak it more when the other subs are installed, but I'm not surprised that under 20hz has low output considering the drivers I'm using.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

For the life of me I can't figure out how to modify the target curve to stop the roll off for my sub. What am I missing?

Screenshot_20190504-162402.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well since that is a “target”, I am wondering if audyssey knows from pinging them, that they’re not capable below “X”hz. Therefore it wound target that low. I did ask a while back if they were sealed. I guess that’s true. It to mention being car drivers, the FS is probably around 30hz. How did you model the box?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If the Audyssey App is intending the target curve to be flat, which is what it shows on mine when I enter the curve editor for the subs, I would expect the same for everybody else, too. Afterall is is their ideal... not what actually IS.
@panteragstk , seems silly, but have you tried, deleting and re-installing the app? Perhaps somehow its still operating under the old pre-update code which includes that rolloff. ??? Just a thought.
(and only thing I can think of)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

(Native curve in my app)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well since that is a “target”, I am wondering if audyssey knows from pinging them, that they’re not capable below “X”hz. Therefore it wound target that low. I did ask a while back if they were sealed. I guess that’s true. It to mention being car drivers, the FS is probably around 30hz. How did you model the box?
Interesting point, I guess I can try shaping my little Atmos speaker that way and see if the App is that smart.

Edit: Just did the trial. Amazingly the App is in fact smart enough to know my Atmos speaker needs an early roll off. The only speaker curve that allows me to target flat to 20 Hz is the one for the subwoofer channel, that is made up of a PC12U and a PB13U. I have to say though, you got it figured out, so you are smarter than the App.:D

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Iirc fs is 24hz but I'll check. I agree with @PENG I think you got it figured out. I think it may be time to move up the plan to get the Dayton 18" subs I've been eyeing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting point, I guess I can try shaping my little Atmos speaker that way and see if the App is that smart.

Edit: Just did the trial. Amazingly the App is in fact smart enough to know my Atmos speaker needs an early roll off. The only speaker curve that allows me to target flat to 20 Hz is the one for the subwoofer channel, that is made up of a PC12U and a PB13U. I have to say though, you got it figured out, so you are smarter than the App.:D
Wow, just saw the update here. Thanks for doing that experiment @PENG. I thought it was a shot in the dark, but since the XO is decided in conjunction between the AVR and audyssey, it made sense that it would “know”where to roll off the target too.
Smarter than the app! Probably not. Some days I think I’m lucky to be smarter than my a$$! LOL

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc fs is 24hz but I'll check. I agree with @PENG I think you got it figured out. I think it may be time to move up the plan to get the Dayton 18" subs I've been eyeing.
Nice! I’ve seen good things about them. I also think tlsguy has an excellent subwoofer build plan for the HO version. It’s on his web site, I’ll see if I can find it. Or maybe he’ll chime in.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! I’ve seen good things about them. I also think tlsguy has an excellent subwoofer build plan for the HO version. It’s on his web site, I’ll see if I can find it. Or maybe he’ll chime in.
Both 18's from them (ultimax and HO) do well in a simple 22"x22"x22" enclosure according to data-bass.

Screenshot_20190505-113404.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
How small is the room? I’d hate to see you go sealed only to save space.
14'x16' give or take. I'm open to other designs, but 4 of these sealed boxes in each corner should be a solid system, but if I can do better without a gigantic box I'll do it for sure.

Honestly I've always like sealed boxes just for the simple fact that almost all the ported subs I've heard have port noise and I'm not a fan of that. Haven't really heard any truly good subs though so there's that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis