Audyssey Editor App- With Screenshots!

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I was taking screen shots.

You’re right. It’s not an actual response curve. It’s the predicted response of what audyssey is aiming for. Whether it gets there or not has to be verified by REW. It would be nice if the app could have the functionality of itself combined with rew.
But the "before" curve is the actual curve it measured during, calibration, correct? Yes, I noticed it didn't take a second sweep to test any correction results (you'd think that would be an option to at least get a rough idea as the actual results might not match the predicted ones).

BTW, notice how my sub falls right off around 21-22Hz just like my SPL meter with the Aria slow sweep showed (from another thread) and the predicted curve are closer to the newer measured -6dB at 20Hz instead of -12dB (not sure how accurate the old SPL meter is at 20Hz either; I'll have to get the REW umik setup). It will play 115dB+ above that. I'd love to add a second sub that can do 16Hz (looking at that Rhythmic 18" that can do at least 100dB at 16Hz),but given the age of the sub it's not doing terrible in my room, IMO.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But the "before" curve is the actual curve it measured during, calibration, correct? Yes, I noticed it didn't take a second sweep to test any correction results (you'd think that would be an option to at least get a rough idea as the actual results might not match the predicted ones).

BTW, notice how my sub falls right off around 21-22Hz just like my SPL meter with the Aria slow sweep showed (from another thread) and the predicted curve are closer to the newer measured -6dB at 20Hz instead of -12dB (not sure how accurate the old SPL meter is at 20Hz either; I'll have to get the REW umik setup). It will play 115dB+ above that. I'd love to add a second sub that can do 16Hz (looking at that Rhythmic 18" that can do at least 100dB at 16Hz),but given the age of the sub it's not doing terrible in my room, IMO.
As far as I know. Yes, the before curve is what audyssey actually measured(although I find this a little surprising and dubious considering what seems like bursts of limited range content) and the after is the prediction. I agree an actual “second sweep” would be a nice touch, and I think wouldn’t take a lot to add to the app. I have another app that was free, and it is a tone generator that does sweeps, individual tones by 1, 5, 10 or 100 hz increments, wave patterns, white/pink noise etc. I think an actual sweep would be great. Especially for us nerds!!!

Your sub results are curious, and I’ll try to take a close look. I will say for a sub if it’s vintage it’s definitely above average, and in your room is doing pretty good.
Not sure about MY old spl meter either. I mentioned somewhere that HTS(home theater shack) used to have the offsets for frequency vs spl for the RS meter. Oh, something for your brain(nope. Not trying to enable. Not at all!)
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=146

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I finally got around to using the Audyssey app and measure the results with my UMIK-1 and I figured out why my theater didn't sound as good as it did in my old house. Considering I have MUCH better speakers this was upsetting. Same two subs though and two more to come.

REW room wizard estimated that I'd have a big 40hz dip (and I heard it on certain music tracks) but the results of the app and turning Audyssey off were surprising to say the least. What was more surprising was how BAD the reference curve was. I thought I had changed it to L/R bypass, but apparently not. See below.

theater measurements.jpg

Still some tweaking to be done, but the reference AY app reference curve sounds MUCH better than the Audyssey Reference curve that was done by the receiver without the app. My bass is back.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So I finally got around to using the Audyssey app and measure the results with my UMIK-1 and I figured out why my theater didn't sound as good as it did in my old house. Considering I have MUCH better speakers this was upsetting. Same two subs though and two more to come.

REW room wizard estimated that I'd have a big 40hz dip (and I heard it on certain music tracks) but the results of the app and turning Audyssey off were surprising to say the least. What was more surprising was how BAD the reference curve was. I thought I had changed it to L/R bypass, but apparently not. See below.

View attachment 29277

Still some tweaking to be done, but the reference AY app reference curve sounds MUCH better than the Audyssey Reference curve that was done by the receiver without the app. My bass is back.
You have very interesting curves that would have driven me so crazy that I probably won't sleep until I find or understand what causes such large fluctuations. You have seen mine and Pogre's, that are are much smoother, though we also posted some with 1/24 smoothing. Yours are without smoothing I assume..

Are they for the subwoofers only, without the mains?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You have very interesting curves that would have driven me so crazy that I probably won't sleep until I find or understand what causes such large fluctuations. You have seen mine and Pogre's, that are are much smoother, though we also posted some with 1/24 smoothing. Yours are without smoothing I assume..

Are they for the subwoofers only, without the mains?
L/R mains are included without smoothing. I'm going to do some tweaking and measure just the subs, but I'm curious to find how to measure just the subs. This was a quick first attempt just to see what my starting point is. I'll tweak to flatten things out when I get the time.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
L/R mains are included without smoothing. I'm going to do some tweaking and measure just the subs, but I'm curious to find how to measure just the subs. This was a quick first attempt just to see what my starting point is. I'll tweak to flatten things out when I get the time.
I did mine using Stereo so the subs were on, and I would do many sweeps to cover XO settings of large, 40, 60, 80, 90 and 100 Hz. I found 80, 90 and 100 were good but 40 and 60 were quite bad regardless of flat or ref, but always better than off.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you don’t have an external amp just unplug your mains.
Agree with @PENG, I kinda twitched. A little...

Looks like a minidsp is on order.
P.S. I know this guy(pssst, @PENG) who has one he’s using as a paper weight. Just sayin...

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've ordered a UMIK-1. Should be here next week. I'll see how the corrected curves look on my home theater and see if a DIRAC Mini-DSP would be beneficial on my Carver ribbon system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've ordered a UMIK-1. Should be here next week. I'll see how the corrected curves look on my home theater and see if a DIRAC Mini-DSP would be beneficial on my Carver ribbon system.
Nice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you don’t have an external amp just unplug your mains.
Agree with @PENG, I kinda twitched. A little...

Looks like a minidsp is on order.
P.S. I know this guy(pssst, @PENG) who has one he’s using as a paper weight. Just sayin...
Thanks, I would let it go for USD 90 shipping extra, it was hardly used. I was thinking about using it with Dirac Live, but the more I read about this thing, the more I feel XT32 is good enough for me now that the App is quite usable, allowing us to remove the BBC 2 kHz dip and limit the range for correction. I would likely take advantage of the 14 days free trial though, but I can just run it from my laptop.

Funny enough, if you Google for Dirac Live free trail, you will see the following pops up, the user thought it was much worse than XT32:
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-live-free-trial.2097/

So I think it is the sort of things that are very much user dependent.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I did some more measurements, but I'm pretty sure the adjustments I'm making in the app aren't really doing much of anything. Measurements were identical (subs only) after every change. Weird. I'll have to go through this thread again and see what I'm missing.

I applied 1/12th smoothing and limited the range from 10hz-100hz. Subs with and without Audyssey. See below.

subs only.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I did some more measurements, but I'm pretty sure the adjustments I'm making in the app aren't really doing much of anything. Measurements were identical (subs only) after every change. Weird. I'll have to go through this thread again and see what I'm missing.

I applied 1/48th smoothing and limited the range from 10hz-100hz. Subs with and without Audyssey. See below.

View attachment 29294
Also change the vertical axis to 45-105. That should be a 60db window. Also, using up to 1/6 smoothing is ok since that represents human hearing, meaning we apply natural smoothing. I prefer no smoothing however since I’m just a little too AudiOCD.

Normal window is 45-105 and 10-200hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Actually doesn’t look too bad. Can you add 3db back in at 55hz?

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
What I like about the Mini-DSP is you can us DIRAC with a basic 2-channel system for quite a reasonable price. I don't think I've ever seen Audyssey for sale for a 2-channel system only. It'd be pretty easy to add DIRAC to my Carver system (just put it between the pre-amp and the active crossover). I'm not sure how it would react to dipole speakers, though. I plan to try the software only demo out with the UMIK-1 mic first along with setting up REW on my old Macbook Pro (easily test both rooms response).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I applied 1/12th smoothing and limited the range from 10hz-100hz. Subs with and without Audyssey. See below.

View attachment 29295
Is the red one with Audyssey? If this is for the subwoofer, it shouldn't roll off that much from 40 to 20 Hz. You may want to turn the volume by 10 to 15 dB just to see if the curve would look flatter. By the way, what kind of sub is that? While I agree with William on the 1/6 smoothing, I prefer to use 1/24 smoothing for the time being, so we can do better diagnostics if necessary.

You can use the App to reshape the target curve, but it would likely not do much, if anything at all to the dips, but you should be able to improve the bumps a little, though still won't be by much.

Attached is a captured graph from my photo inventory, that shows Audyssey On vs Off, Subwoofers only, 1/24 smoothing. It may not be the best one I have as I just pick one randomly. You can see that with Audyssey on (Reference curve), the 15-100 Hz range is much smoother. Many would say people don't prefer "flat" (the freq response, not the curve), but I believe flat is a good starting point, from there, we can tweak things to our liking. By limiting the range to 300 Hz, we can avoid the "flatter" high end that Audyssey tends to impose, and by bumping up the subwoofer level by a few dB, we can avoid the so called thin sound post Audyssey, especially not the 20 Hz dip as well as the BBC dips are gone.

You can see the 20 Hz roll off clearly in my graph. I have not run REW since the update that has eliminated the roll off.

AudysseyOffVsAudysseyRef03052019.jpg

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is the red one with Audyssey? If this is for the subwoofer, it shouldn't roll off that much from 40 to 20 Hz. You may want to turn the volume by 10 to 15 dB just to see if the curve would look flatter. By the way, what kind of sub is that? While I agree with William on the 1/6 smoothing, I prefer to use 1/24 smoothing for the time being, so we can do better diagnostics if necessary.

You can use the App to reshape the target curve, but it would likely not do much, if anything at all to the dips, but you should be able to improve the bumps a little, though still won't be by much.

Attached is a captured graph from my photo inventory, that shows Audyssey On vs Off, Subwoofers only, 1/24 smoothing. It may not be the best one I have as I just pick one randomly. You can see that with Audyssey on (Reference curve), the 15-100 Hz range is much smoother. Many would say people don't prefer "flat", but I believe flat is a good starting point, from there, we can tweak things to our liking.

By the way, you can see the 20 Hz roll off. I have not run REW since the update that removes the roll off.

View attachment 29296
Exactly peng, that’s why I said NO smoothing. My AudiOCD would give me fits!
I’m guessing that sub might be sealed? Or a 28hz sub? It’s up 5db from 36-60hz.

I was wondering if he used the app to try and lower the hump. The green line looks like the hump that was pulled down. No?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Exactly peng, that’s why I said NO smoothing. My AudiOCD would give me fits!
I’m guessing that sub might be sealed? Or a 28hz sub? It’s up 5db from 36-60hz.

I was wondering if he used the app to try and lower the hump. The green line looks like the hump hat pulled down. No?
You did say no smoothing lol, and that would be fine for me too.

I don't know about his green curve but mine was without help by the app to "pull" any humps down. It was just plain old Audyssey.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thought it captured the names. I'll post updated graphs with 1/24 smoothing.

I'll measure again with lower volume and see if that helps. My curve still has the roll off at 20hz. Not sure how to fix that, but I do have the latest app version.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok. Here is the corrected image. I haven't had a chance to measure again at a lower volume. I'll do that tomorrow.

Red is Audyssey with DEQ. Green is no Audyssey. No smoothing.
Subs only.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok. Here is the corrected image. I haven't had a chance to measure again at a lower volume. I'll do that tomorrow.

Red is Audyssey with DEQ. Green is no Audyssey. No smoothing.View attachment 29297
The low end just doesn't look right, but it could be due to Audyssey trying to integrate with the mains, if those curves are for the subwoofers only. In that case, your mains probably have very capable response below 50 Hz.

You can see the integrating effect in mine, the elevated bass between 55 and 100 Hz. That was leveled off if the left and rights were on, working together with the subwoofers.

Can you capture the graphs for left+right+subs all running please?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis