KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Compared to the Sierra1s on stands the footprint isn't all that different, a bit deeper and taller for the 590s (and heavier and harder to move around :) ). In a larger room I just found the Sierra1s a bit weak, but they're awesome in my smallish bedroom (use the 170SEs for surrounds). The 580s are a smaller footprint and $740 the pair and with a sub would work very nicely I'd think....I use them as surrounds in my main room (530s for rear surrounds). @KEW for some comments on his 580s.
I have not heard the 590's so can not comment on how they compare, but I surely enjoy the 580's and consider them a steal if you get them at the sale price!
The bass is good for the size of driver, but I do believe most would want a sub with it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I get what you are saying. Some compromises are made because of the center channel placement. I have seen many set ups with 3 identical speakers across the front soundstage. This can work fine in a dedicated HT room, but not in a typical living room environment. I do like the design of the Hsu CCB-8, but I’ve never heard it either.
You can have a good horizontal center speaker, but it should be a 3-way or a coaxial. Using a 2-way puts a ceiling on how good it can be. That being said, you can still get a decent sound from a horizontal 2-way center; you just have to know the speaker's limitations and how it behaves, and set it up accordingly.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
You can have a good horizontal center speaker, but it should be a 3-way or a coaxial. Using a 2-way puts a ceiling on how good it can be. That being said, you can still get a decent sound from a horizontal 2-way center; you just have to know the speaker's limitations and how it behaves, and set it up accordingly.
But you’re saying you don’t think the Ascends are great center channel speakers?

Soundman

Soundman

KEF has a 2-and-a-half way center channel, the Q 650c
9B53B1AF-B6FC-4EA8-B3C3-F872F3FAD310.jpeg

thoughts? It would still fit in this setup bc the height is right at 8”.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
But you’re saying you don’t think the Ascends are great center channel speakers?
I don't think any horizontal MTMs are great center channel speakers. They aren't necessarily terrible, they can just never be great.
View attachment 42727
I think that would be a good center speaker that avoids the problems of traditional MTMs.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
View attachment 42727
I enjoy the sound of the Monolith by Monoprice THX-365C.

Soundman

Soundman

I enjoy the sound of the Monolith by Monoprice THX-365C.
I had not really considered Monoprice. I’ve bought plenty of cables/ interconnects from them over the yrs, but nothing else really. Is that a 3-way design? The THX certification does make me wonder how much of that cost is paying for licensing th.

Soundman

Soundman

I don't think any horizontal MTMs are great center channel speakers. They aren't necessarily terrible, they can just never be great.

I think that would be a good center speaker that avoids the problems of traditional MTMs.
The KEF is more than double the price of some other center channels I’ve been looking at though. A KEF setup would cost a bit more, especially once I realized the mains are not sold in pairs!:oops:.... but they sure look nice:p

Soundman

Soundman

This one looks nice but it’s over 31” long!

Soundman

Soundman

Ok, here’s another idea. The Emotiva T-1 is a little over 8” wide, which is the biggest concern space wise. The C- 1 is much smaller than the C-2 so it would fit quite well. Total would be less than $1,000. How would these compare to Ascend and others?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok, here’s another idea. The Emotiva T-1 is a little over 8” wide, which is the biggest concern space wise. The C- 1 is much smaller than the C-2 so it would fit quite well. Total would be less than $1,000. How would these compare to Ascend and others?

We can't really say, because those Emotiva speakers don't have any measurements to see their performance. one thing I will say is that I haven't been too impressed with many of the budget AMT tweeters on low-cost speakers.

Soundman

Soundman

We can't really say, because those Emotiva speakers don't have any measurements to see their performance. one thing I will say is that I haven't been too impressed with many of the budget AMT tweeters on low-cost speakers.
Ok, Both of the center channel options in this line are 3-way so that’s what got me curious. That, and I’ve owned Emotiva electronics and they have always been top notch quality. Never heard any of their speakers tho.

Soundman

Soundman

Sorry for the multiple posts, but really trying to nail this down. The KEF Q750 is right in the middle of the Q line. It’s been reviewed quite well, and has a width of 8” so it would take up quite a bit less space than say the q950’s for example. I can get a pair for right at $1,300. The center channel would also fit nicely but it’s $700, which puts me over budget unfortunately. However, I do believe this price point is typically the sweet spot as far as price/performance goes. Any thoughts on these or something similar that may save a little on the budget?
255827E8-3A14-41B9-9470-3F2845BF46B8.jpeg
CB1C27C1-8BA2-4EA7-9FF0-576606E48269.jpeg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry for the multiple posts, but really trying to nail this down. The KEF Q750 is right in the middle of the Q line. It’s been reviewed quite well, and has a width of 8” so it would take up quite a bit less space than say the q950’s for example. I can get a pair for right at $1,300. The center channel would also fit nicely but it’s $700, which puts me over budget unfortunately. However, I do believe this price point is typically the sweet spot as far as price/performance goes. Any thoughts on these or something similar that may save a little on the budget?
View attachment 42731View attachment 42732
That should be a pretty good system. The suggestion of the paradigm Premier speakers is also very good. As for saving money, one thing you could do is just go to bookshelf speaker fronts like the Q350s, although you do lose a little dynamic range. You could always just skip the center speaker. If this is for a listening situation where there is pretty much only a single listener in a single position, two speakers can emulate a center speaker very well in a 'sweet spot.'

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I look at it more as an explanation of the speakers their drivers their build things like that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis