Ascend Acoustic Ribbon Towers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you calculate how much power your Ascends were getting? You might decide to reduce the volume from now on, not only for the speakers but also for your ears.
Roughly 35 watts at that volume, leaving about 7 dB headroom before my amp runs out of juice. If I calculated correctly. I used the homestead calculator and subtracted 3 dB (87 instead of 90) because they're 4 ohm speakers. I'm still pretty noob at this tho, so I wouldn't be surprised if I did it wrong.

4 ohm
90 dB sensitivity 2.83v/1m
Distance from speakers 15'
95 dB at mlp = 35 watts?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Does your spl meter have Z-weight readout?
Nope. A weighting.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Did you calculate how much power your Ascends were getting? You might decide to reduce the volume from now on, not only for the speakers but also for your ears.
Also have ears checked to remove wax if needed. I know it matters on my hearing since I get wax buildup every so often. LOL :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks... with the Lady home, I ran at -20 on my rig with readings on 4 songs from 3 different artists, streamed through Apple Music. My average was about 70dB with a range from roughly 66-81dB, depending on the content. Bass was present, but higher frequencies are what pushed the meter above 80dB at my LP.

Speakers are rated at 85dB Sensitivity. I sit just over 2m away at ~7'. Room is small; 11x15', ~2000'3.
Subs were engaged, but I do not run them hot. I use Audyssey Flat. DEQ is on. I'll play around a little more as I can... and when the lady is out, I'lll romp sumpin at 0.
Perhaps, @Pogre , when we can, we should each pick a cut both of us can access and see what out meters read.
:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm trying to calculate how much power I'm pumping into them for that volume and it's not as much as I thought at about 35 watts. That gives me about 7 - 8 dB headroom before my amp runs out of juice... IF I figured correctly. I used the homestead calculator and subtracted 3 dB (87 instead of 90) sensitivity since they're 4 ohm speakers. I don't know how accurate that is either tho because I'm told they're actually 5 ohm nominal speakers with a dip to 4 ohms... blah

@PENG! Halp! :p
Have I not posted my calculator results yet on the other thread? If I remember right, your amp will definite clip if you listened at reference level from 15 ft. So there is nothing Dave said in his response that I would disagree with.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have I not posted my calculator results yet on the other thread? If I remember right, your amp will definite clip if you listened at reference level from 15 ft. So there is nothing Dave said in his response that I would disagree with.
I'm just curious how much power is required for me to hit 95 dB average, and how much headroom it leaves me. At 95 dB I figured 7-8 dB headroom before my amp runs out of juice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dave replied to me last night. This is what I was looking for Peng.
I said:
Okay, I just measured 94.7 dB at my seat (15' from speakers) with the volume setting at "0". Just round up to 95 dB and by my (very rough) calculations I should be hitting that with 35 watts and gives me about 8 dB headroom before reaching my amp's limits.

It's still a lot more than I realized, but I feel a little bit better. I'm pretty confident I haven't pushed it into clipping, tho still flirting with limits and exceeding safe listening levels for extended periods.

Do my power calculations sound about right, or am I missing anything?
"Hi Pogre,

Was this using an SPL meter or an app on your phone? I have found my iPhone to be very inaccurate with regard to SPL measurements.

If 95dB is accurate, assuming this is from both speakers, your math is accurate and I would say this volume level is very safe."

By "safe" he means the speakers and amp should be fine at those levels and I'm not getting into clipping territory. As far as my hearing goes I need to readjust my idea of "reference level" because it does not mean 85 dB average with music at my seat like I thought it did.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
By "safe" he means the speakers and amp should be fine at those levels and I'm not getting into clipping territory. As far as my hearing goes I need to readjust my idea of "reference level" because it does not mean 85 dB average with music at my seat like I thought it did.
At some point, don't you just sit back and enjoy these lovely new speakers instead of trying to see how loud you can get before they bottom out? :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
At some point, don't you just sit back and enjoy these lovely new speakers instead of trying to see how loud you can get before they bottom out? :D
I think he is making sure they meet his needs and that he won’t damage them with his normal rock out sessions. He is worried about clipping I think :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think he is making sure they meet his needs and that he won’t damage them with his normal rock out sessions. He is worried about clipping I think :)
Exactly. I want to make sure I'm not clipping when I turn it up every once in a while. Now I know, and now I kick back and enjoy.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Exactly. I want to make sure I'm not clipping when I turn it up every once in a while. Now I know, and now I kick back and enjoy.
Four questions:
1. What finish did you go with?
2. What was the total shipped price?
3. How long did you have to wait?
4. Do you have any reservations after trying them out?
Thanks!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So, have you measured it with your subs turned down? You may have even more headroom than you think.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Dave replied to me last night. This is what I was looking for Peng.

"Hi Pogre,

Was this using an SPL meter or an app on your phone? I have found my iPhone to be very inaccurate with regard to SPL measurements.

If 95dB is accurate, assuming this is from both speakers, your math is accurate and I would say this volume level is very safe."

That's why I was confused by your questions.. The 85 dB ref doesn't apply to music, not even to "all" movies, but just movies that follow the THX standard.

By the way, if you have not made changes to the levels post Audyssey setup, you should be getting close to 85 dB average at volume 0 if you play a THX movie. It would be hard to actually see 85 dB as it would obviously vary continuously but you would likely be able to see that the maximum approximate to 105 dB. Or you can check it with REW/Umik-1 mic, if you want to see it approximate to 85 dB average.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just wanted to know if my calculations were accurate, 95 dB average, at my seat with my 4 ohm speakers. Dave said I was. I don't think I run any risk of clipping when I turn it up now (with most my music).

Plus yesterday I scooted closer by about a foot and a half.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Four questions:
1. What finish did you go with?
2. What was the total shipped price?
3. How long did you have to wait?
4. Do you have any reservations after trying them out?
Thanks!
Four answers.
1. Matte Black, cost and availability led me to choose that.
2. $2198 base price + $700 RAAL upgrade + $136 shipping = $3034 shipped.
3. About 2 or 3 weeks
4. Not anymore
Welcome!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha! Ascend is now including "this side up" stickers on all the grilles for the towers going forward!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Go Pogre!
Nice you can make the product even better! You will probably sell a few pairs from this string. Maybe you can get more gear out of it. :cool:

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ha! Ascend is now including "this side up" stickers on all the grilles for the towers going forward!
You should get royalties. You know, for all the R&D you did!!! Not to mention the risk to personal property. Yeah, you’re basically an employee...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis