A Salk fan-boy takes action

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's the easy part. Now come the 1,259 sealer and sanding sessions. Can't rush perfection.
Jim warned me to expect at least 2 months for them to be completed. And cabinet 'perfection' as Jim does it was my intention from the start.

I'm trying to have fun with the build progress as I get news. Note how I have nothing to say about this on those days when nothing new is posted :rolleyes:. It takes some patience.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Heres my progress

Song3

Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT
29%

SongCenter RT

Production Notes: Front ported - satin back
17%

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Heres my progress

Song3

Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT
29%

SongCenter RT

Production Notes: Front ported - satin back
17%
Our speakers are probably on the same track. Yours might be finished sooner than mine because you are getting satin black paint.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't be surprised that they use General Finishes 'Arm R Seal' which takes two weeks, just to fully cure!

Man, I just built a custom cabinet for my buddy who re-started his salt water fish tank. I had to match the base he made with Minwax stain. I forgot how bad that stuff smells!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Patience can be beneficial.:)
Patience can be beneficial, but when I place an order like that, Patience is evil. :p

I am waiting on Swerd's feedback, if the Exotica 3 had Ribbons, I think I would serious consider pulling the trigger, I really liked those, even if they are a tad on the pricy side

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Patience can be beneficial, but when I place an order like that, Patience is evil. :p

I am waiting on Swerd's feedback, if the Exotica 3 had Ribbons, I think I would serious consider pulling the trigger, I really liked those, even if they are a tad on the pricy side
I just did a version of the Exotica with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. I prefer it to the dome version, although not everyone would. That's why Jim wanted two versions.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I just did a version of the Exotica with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. I prefer it to the dome version, although not everyone would. That's why Jim wanted two versions.
Ok, I am confused is there a Ribbon Version of the Exotica? That is a great price on the SS10, but I really don't like the look of it (LOL I know my speakers are not exactly WAF)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I am confused is there a Ribbon Version of the Exotica? That is a great price on the SS10, but I really don't like the look of it (LOL I know my speakers are not exactly WAF)
Sounds like there will be once Salk finalizes things.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I would just write to Jim and ask about availability. What I designed was the passive crossover for the upper unit--the 2-way monitor. Since the sensitivity and driver contouring differs slightly from the dome version, Jim will have to tweak the active crossover for the bass unit to match it perfectly with the passive section.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would just write to Jim and ask about availability. What I designed was the passive crossover for the upper unit--the 2-way monitor. Since the sensitivity and driver contouring differs slightly from the dome version, Jim will have to teak the active crossover for the bass unit to match it perfectly with the passive section.

I will, very interested in these bad boys for my two channel room.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
34% done :D. My cabinets will have veneered front baffles with solid cherry framing it on the edges. They've now been routed out. Sanding & sealing coats are next.
upload_2016-6-28_12-31-5.png

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations!
Glad you found a suitable upgrade for your room. The song towers are very fine, but moving to ribbons (RAAL as implemented by Dennis) is a big improvement to my ear.
I always wondered that you had not gone to Slim's over the past few years.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Woot progress!

SONG3
PRODUCTION NOTES: SATIN BLACK - FRONT SLOT PORT
46%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
Finished

Cabinets Glued Up
Finished

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
Finished

Cabinets Sanded
Finished

Sealer Coat 1
Finished

SONGCENTER RT
PRODUCTION NOTES: FRONT PORTED - SATIN BACK
46%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
Finished

Cabinets Glued Up
Finished

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
Finished

Cabinets Sanded
Finished

Sealer Coat 1
Finished

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
I like the new Salk Site, however I wish the sound defaulted to 'off'. Auto sound on websites can be annoying at times. Anyone know what driver the Salk/Rythmik subs are using? The DS1510 hopefully?
YES, as a web developer I can tell you that's called "autoplay," which is highly frowned upon amongst web developers. Autoplaying silent video is one thing, but having the audio autoplay is almost always a negative user experience. Worse yet, I had to look around for the button to turn it off, which happened to be in the lower lefthand corner; hardly intuitive. A UI/UX consultant would've ripped the site apart.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Woot progress!

SONG3
PRODUCTION NOTES: SATIN BLACK - FRONT SLOT PORT
46%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
Finished

Cabinets Glued Up
Finished

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
Finished

Cabinets Sanded
Finished

Sealer Coat 1
Finished

SONGCENTER RT
PRODUCTION NOTES: FRONT PORTED - SATIN BACK
46%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
Finished

Cabinets Glued Up
Finished

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
Finished

Cabinets Sanded
Finished

Sealer Coat 1
Finished
You should start your own thread and include some pics in the Pros and Joes gallery. That way we can all admire the Salk work and associate it with you and not that Swerd guy. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You should start your own thread and include some pics in the Pros and Joes gallery. That way we can all admire the Salk work and associate it with you and not that Swerd guy. :D
It gives me a momentary thrill if desertrider posts the progress of his speakers :D, even if his get done before mine :mad:. It's really the dog days of July, no progress, stuck at 34%.

No baseball this week – I'm only a mild fan, and it helps that both the Nats & the Os are leading their divisions.

And it's still a week before Fight Club Week begins in Cleveland :rolleyes:.

Maybe I could develop an interest in faucets.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Progress to report 52% done :D. Sanding and sealer coats 1 & 2 are done.

upload_2016-7-19_22-28-13.png

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Geez... this is painful for me to watch, and I don't even have a dog in the hunt. Must be a true trial of your patience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis