A Salk fan-boy takes action

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You also gotta remember: today amp power is cheap and solid state amps have taken the THD down and output impedence down to very low levels.

In the past, amp power was expensive and tube amps had high output impedence that required output transformers.

So speaker designs of the past also had to consider the shortcomings of amplification of the past. But, today the amps dont have the same limitations of the past.
Good point. The cheaper amplification threw me off when I started getting back into this, with still not trusting the 'Made in China' haunts of the past, because a lot of components now, feel just like that.

I reckon modern advancements do manage to work with the larger drivers too. I think that in a lot of ways. the large driver option manages to cover yet another set of conditions, in a best of the past/new kind of way. Especially when you start seeing components with three or more mid range drivers not always lined up linearly. Drivers have certainly become more efficient, or at least it is more common than it used to be.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
For years I've been an ardent Dennis Murphy and Jim Salk fan-boy here at AH. I've frequently urged others to listen to and buy their speakers. And yet, I've only put my money where my mouth is once. Back in 2007, I bought a new pair of Salk SongTowers. OK twice, a number of years later, I bought a SongCenter to go with them.

For a number of years, I've always drooled over the Salk HT2-TL speakers. In my view, they were as near perfection as I've heard. Unfortunately their size, the cabinet depth and footprint, make them impractical in my family room. Their price isn't low, but I've heard plenty of other speakers that cost 3-5 times more that don't deliver better sound. More recently the Salk Veracity ST speakers were introduced. They have a SongTower's footprint with ~90% of the HT2-TL's sound. They use the Seas W16 woofers instead of the ST's ER15s or the HT2-TL's W18s.

After some fortunate and long-awaited developments in personal finances, I've come to the point of taking my hands out of my pockets – and acting. Earlier today I ordered a pair of Salk Veracity STs :D :D :D.

They will have fully veneered fronts with hardwood edges, in ropey curly cherry, like these Veracity STs,

but in a lighter colored finish like these SC SongTowers (note the smaller woofers)
Swerd...we chatted about a month or so back about this thread and your journey with your new Salks.

I mentioned I was building a new music/HT system and Salks were high on my list.

Well, with my funding finally in place to finish the last phase of this project. I made that call to Jim today and made my deposit for a pair of Song3-A and a Super Charged Songcenter. Inspired by your natural curly cherry selection, I've opted for the same veneer and finish.

Initially the Song3 was my target, but after talking at length with him about the new midrange in the 3-A, he said it's a substantial upgrade. I thought about the Song Encore, but I'm going to have subs covering the low and he said there would be no need.

Now I wait...he said Song3 sales in general have been strong and he's about 100-120 days out. Like a kid waiting for Xmas...I probably won't make it that long, but I said I'd give it a week or so before I peeked in on the progress.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… Well, with my funding finally in place to finish the last phase of this project. I made that call to Jim (Salk) today and made my deposit for a pair of Song3-A and a Super Charged Songcenter. Inspired by your natural curly cherry selection, I've opted for the same veneer and finish.
Great to hear that news :)! The Accuton mid range in the 3-A is very interesting. I haven't heard that driver other than in the SS8 or SS10 speakers. It was excellent in those, so I can't imagine why it shouldn't also be equally nice sounding in the Song 3-A.

Of course, I highly approve of your veneer choice. Expect it to be nicer looking than any other piece of wooden furniture you own.

Everyone dreads waiting for Salk speakers to be built, but no one complains afterwards. That time will just fly by :rolleyes:.

2channel lover

Great to hear that news :)! The Accuton mid range in the 3-A is very interesting. I haven't heard that driver other than in the SS8 or SS10 speakers. It was excellent in those, so I can't imagine why it shouldn't also be equally nice sounding in the Song 3-A.

Of course, I highly approve of your veneer choice. Expect it to be nicer looking than any other piece of wooden furniture you own.

Everyone dreads waiting for Salk speakers to be built, but no one complains afterwards. That time will just fly by :rolleyes:.
Thanks.

Song 3A...a current Salk owner ordered a pr of Song3s and asked for this Accuton mid range driver. Jim said when they were finished he immediately add them to the line. The only reason he didn't start with it initially was he wanted a sub $3k price point for a 3 way speaker.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Song 3A...a current Salk owner ordered a pr of Song3s and asked for this Accuton mid range driver. Jim said when they were finished he immediately add them to the line. The only reason he didn't start with it initially was he wanted a sub $3k price point for a 3 way speaker.
That makes it twice that Jim Salk has had a successful speaker design at the low end of his price range. First was the SongTower, and in the past year, the Song 3. Both were initially intended to be relatively low-cost efforts at high-quality sound. Both were further developed, at customer demand, by replacing drivers with various higher performing & costing drivers until there was a family of speakers. It's interesting how that can work.

The SongTower eventually was developed into the SongTower RT, the SuperCharged ST, and the Veracity ST.

The Song3 was developed into the Song3-A and the Song3 Encore.

For what it's worth, Dennis Murphy, working alone did something similar with his Philharmonic 1, 2, and 3 designs.

2channel lover

That makes it twice that Jim Salk has had a successful speaker design at the low end of his price range. First was the SongTower, and in the past year, the Song 3. Both were initially intended to be relatively low-cost efforts at high-quality sound. Both were further developed, at customer demand, by replacing drivers with various higher performing & costing drivers until there was a family of speakers. It's interesting how that can work.

The SongTower eventually was developed into the SongTower RT, the SuperCharged ST, and the Veracity ST.

The Song3 was developed into the Song3-A and the Song3 Encore.

For what it's worth, Dennis Murphy, working alone did something similar with his Philharmonic 1, 2, and 3 designs.
I can see that evolution creating more SKUs...That's where it really pays to be a custom manufacturer vs mass production. I think they also realize to get much pub at these shows the smaller players need to have a new release. The AXPONA '17 may have driven the Song3 Encore, it sounds like it was a factor.

I've heard of Dennis Murphy's work as well...Jim Salk spoke highly of him and my own speaker research led me to his line of speakers.

I've got a few months to figure what I'm going to do with my B&W804m...my son is getting into music so I thought about giving them to him to give him a headstart. I've got a co-worker that said he wants to buy them...we'll see. In the meantime I've need to upgrade my rack.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis