A Salk fan-boy takes action

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's new to me. It's actually a good idea.

Jim did tell me I should expect about 2 months for them to be completed. Those 5 coats of lacquer take time. So I must keep telling myself, "don't look at the tracker more than once a day".
It's a great idea. I remember when I got my Salk Center and they sent me the link to that type of page. So ingenious, it's surprising that more ID companies don't do that.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The impossibly 'you can never replicate this' perfect finish on the ST's ranks my own efforts as nice tries. But lacquer is the finish itself, huh? I remember you talking about sealing the inside of the panels. I bet that goes a long way in keeping the, what looks like mitered veneer panels stable.
The veneers he uses and the finishes he does are the best on any furniture I've seen. And yes, they are miter-cut, no exposed MDF edges to seal.

The ropey curly cherry I ordered cost extra. He gave me a link for it on certainlywood.com. https://www.certainlywood.com/images-locator.php?item=R%20CHERRY%201406

The tracker only says Sealer Coat 1-4 and Final Topcoat. I'm only guessing he uses lacquer, because it dries faster than other coats. So I don't really know what coatings he uses.

I do know he has a dust-controlled spray booth or room, and uses dyes applied on top of 1 or 2 sealer coats instead of wood stain. He says it provides better color control.

He also uses a vacuum-press to glue on the veneer, and then glues hardwood strips (roughly 1×1") to the edges of the boards that will become the front baffle. They will be rounded over at some later time during the process.

When I imagine all this, it seems easy. If I only had those tools, I could do the same ;). Yeah, that's the ticket :rolleyes:!

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
So close....only 77% more to go!!!! :p I am definitely interested in your feedback once owned, I was really impressed from what I heard at AXPONA

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So close....only 77% more to go!!!! :p I am definitely interested in your feedback once owned, I was really impressed from what I heard at AXPONA
I will definitely talk all about them once I have them :). I expect them no sooner than 2 months after I ordered them.

Which model(s) did you hear at AXPONA?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The tracker only says Sealer Coat 1-4 and Final Topcoat. I'm only guessing he uses lacquer, because it dries faster than other coats. So I don't really know what coatings he uses.
Depends on the lacquer and atmospheric conditions and whether it's catalyzed, or nitrocellulose. Nitro takes time to fully dry, but it's dry to the touch and dry enough to re-coat in a very short time but it's still not a good idea for too many coats to go on in one day. A new coat of lacquer isn't just on the previous coat(s), it's in the previous coat(s) because the solvent softens what was already there and makes the new coats adhere much better than a finish that dries fully and needs a rough surface. I have peeled polyurethane off of old finish and even bare wood that was sanded too fine, but never lacquer. Plus, it can be sanded or polished through the layers without seeing where one ends and another begins. This is important WRT repairing the finish.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will definitely talk all about them once I have them :). I expect them no sooner than 2 months after I ordered them.

Which model(s) did you hear at AXPONA?
Salk Exotica 3 Was the first room I went to and these were my favorite speakers I heard at the show (That and the Legacy, but those were $$$$)

I also heard the Supercharged SongTower? I think they were called and the Song3. They look very polished and sounded even better. It appears that they cover a lot of different price points, but all possessed excellent dynamics and overall sound quality.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Salk Exotica 3 Was the first room I went to and these were my favorite speakers I heard at the show (That and the Legacy, but those were $$$$)

I also heard the Supercharged SongTower? I think they were called and the Song3. They look very polished and sounded even better. It appears that they cover a lot of different price points, but all possessed excellent dynamics and overall sound quality.
The Supercharged SongTower (SCST) is very similar to the Veracity ST (VST) I ordered. Both use the same RAAL ribbon tweeter and similar but not identical Seas Excel magnesium alloy woofers. The SCST uses 5½" woofers and the VST uses 6" woofers. The VST goes a bit deeper with a bit more dynamic range than the SCST. Both are obvious siblings in overall sound quality.

I've heard much of the Salk line, but never the Exotica 3. It's just a bit out of my price range.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Depends on the lacquer and atmospheric conditions and whether it's catalyzed, or nitrocellulose. Nitro takes time to fully dry, but it's dry to the touch and dry enough to re-coat in a very short time but it's still not a good idea for too many coats to go on in one day. A new coat of lacquer isn't just on the previous coat(s), it's in the previous coat(s) because the solvent softens what was already there and makes the new coats adhere much better than a finish that dries fully and needs a rough surface. I have peeled polyurethane off of old finish and even bare wood that was sanded too fine, but never lacquer. Plus, it can be sanded or polished through the layers without seeing where one ends and another begins. This is important WRT repairing the finish.
Thanks for those observations. It's one of the reasons why I'll gladly pay for the superior finish on Salk speaker cabinets.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Hi there looooooong time lurker first post.

I love and hate Jim for the update page...it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT click it only once per day. :rolleyes:

Song3

Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT
17%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
To be completed

Cabinets Glued Up
To be completed

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
To be completed

Cabinets Sanded
To be completed

Sealer Coat 1
To be completed

Sealer Coat 2
To be completed

Sealer Coat 3
To be completed

Sealer Coat 4
To be completed

Final Topcoat
To be completed

Final Assembly
To be completed

Speakers Tested
To be completed

Final Inspection
To be completed

Speakers Packed
To be completed

Speakers Shipped
To be completed

Special Status: None

SongCenter RT
Production Notes: Front ported - satin black
17%
Invoice
Finished

Deposit
Finished

Panels Cut
To be completed

Cabinets Glued Up
To be completed

Cabinets Veneered
Finished

Cabinets Routed
To be completed

Cabinets Sanded
To be completed

Sealer Coat 1
To be completed

Sealer Coat 2
To be completed

Sealer Coat 3
To be completed

Sealer Coat 4
To be completed

Final Topcoat
To be completed

Final Assembly
To be completed

Speakers Tested
To be completed

Final Inspection
To be completed

Speakers Packed
To be completed

Speakers Shipped
To be completed

Special Status: None

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I love and hate Jim for the update page...it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT click it only once per day. :rolleyes:

Song3

Production Notes: Satin black - FRONT SLOT PORT
17%
My speakers are 23% done and yours are 17%,
Neener neener :p.

By the way, very nice speaker choices :). What speakers, if any, do you have now?

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
My speakers are 23% done and yours are 17%,
Neener neener :p.

By the way, very nice speaker choices :). What speakers, if any, do you have now?
Thanks Swerd...Ive been reading alot of your posts on your speaker quest here and on...another forum ;)

Right now Ive got Polk RTi10's and Polk CSiA6 that the Salks are replacing, but keeping my Polk FXiA6's for surround duty. Also have a Rythmik F15HP for the bass duties. Still undecided on Atmos speakers, but house wont be done until Sept/Oct so I have some time.

The new Salks may get me kicked out of my current (temporary) apartment though :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Swerd...Ive been reading alot of your posts on your speaker quest here and on...another forum

Right now Ive got Polk RTi10's and Polk CSiA6 that the Salks are replacing, but keeping my Polk FXiA6's for surround duty. Also have a Rythmik F15HP for the bass duties. Still undecided on Atmos speakers, but house wont be done until Sept/Oct so I have some time.

The new Salks may get me kicked out of my current (temporary) apartment though :D
Had you heard the Song 3s before you ordered?

Prepare to be amazed when you first hear them. Compared to what you are now accustomed to, the Salks are several classes above them.

And by the way, welcome to Audioholics, and welcome also to the smaller (but more elite ;)) world of Salk owners!

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Ive heard ST's before, several years ago. Theyve always stood out. When the time came to get new speakers, I did a ton of demo-ing...B&W's, Focals, Klipcsh, Maggies, pretty much anything I could find in my price range. None of them wow'd me like the ST's did before. They were kind of "meh". So, essentially, I ordered them blind. I talked quite a bit with Jim about whether to go with the Song3's or the STRT, and he highly recommended the Song3's for my use (60%movies 40% music). So I went with it.

And yes, I know theyre several levels above the Polks, and Im super excited. Im gonna have to get rid of my crappy material though (MP3 quality music) and replace it with FLAC. Also need to cancel my crappy Pandora and dive in to Tidal or Spotify Premium.

Anyway, very happy to be part of the Salk family :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ive heard ST's before, several years ago…

So, essentially, I ordered them blind…

I talked quite a bit with Jim about whether to go with the Song3's or the STRT, and he highly recommended the Song3's for my use (60%movies 40% music). So I went with it.
If you already know the ST's sound you should be very familiar with the Song3s. Their bass seems to be more potent than the various ST versions. I still have not heard them, but I know how consistent Dennis Murphy is at 'voicing' his designs. (I need to find a way to hear them, just out of curiosity).

Please keep in touch as your speakers progress. Photos and new owner's impressions are welcomed – and expected. An old Salk owner tradition is taking some photos of the FedEx truck delivering them, so you might as well do that too :cool:.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
LOL Ive seen those FedEx pics

Im expecting the Song3's wow factor to bigger than the ST was for me, only because they are a 3-way speaker, AND Ill be able to do a proper listening test. Im excited to have one of the first few ever built. I only know of one other person (a member at another forum) that actually already has taken delivery, as he bought the demo pair on the spot at the T.H.E. exhibition. He loves them :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis