4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lamb 2021

PQ: Excellent PQ. Shot using 3K Digital Arri Alexa camera. Beautiful scenery.

SQ: Good. Not really an audio-special effects kind of movie. But I wasn’t paying any attention to the sound of this movie since what’s on screen was a lot more disturbing or distracting. :D

Plot/Story. Definitely more sci-fi or fantasy genre. Think “The Island of Dr. Moreau”, except the setting is on a lonely sheep-farm in Europe surrounded my beautiful mountains and water streams.

I thought the movie was entertaining and, again, disturbing. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Ghostbusters: Afterlife

PQ: Was excellent. Shot using the Arri 4.5k camera with a 4k digital intermediate. HDR made colors pop off the screen! Movie was crisp and clean.

SQ: Very good. Atmos was solid. Bass was deep and used plentiful throughout the movie. Never had a hard time hearing dialogue.

Overall I really liked the movie. If you're a fan of the original I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one. I give it a solid 8/10 for my rating.

Just an FYI, there are two scenes at the end. During credits and post credits.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

PQ: Was excellent. Shot using the Arri 4.5k camera with a 4k digital intermediate. HDR made colors pop off the screen! Movie was crisp and clean.

SQ: Very good. Atmos was solid. Bass was deep and used plentiful throughout the movie. Never had a hard time hearing dialogue.

Overall I really liked the movie. If you're a fan of the original I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one. I give it a solid 8/10 for my rating.

I really enjoyed Afterlife. Matrix could have learned something from that one. THAT is how you do throwbacks correctly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

You had me at "Arri Alexa 4.5K". :D

Nothing beats these new digital 4K-8K-resolution cameras.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Batman

Shot in 4.5k and has all the bells and whistles of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Saw it in an IMAX Dolby Atmos theater. It was amazing. 9/10 rating easily. Picture was top notch, Atmos had sound effects going all over. This movie should release the booms when it gets released on physical.

The 3 hours run time went by fast, for me at least. If you’re a Batman fan, you need to see this in the best theater you can get to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Batman

Shot in 4.5k and has all the bells and whistles of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Saw it in an IMAX Dolby Atmos theater. It was amazing. 9/10 rating easily. Picture was top notch, Atmos had sound effects going all over. This movie should release the booms when it gets released on physical.

The 3 hours run time went by fast, for me at least. If you’re a Batman fan, you need to see this in the best theater you can get to.
I am watching this for sure.

I am glad director Matt Reeves has embraced digital 4K cameras. :D

”Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011” was shot in analog 35mm. Then “Dawn of the Planet” in 2014 was shot using 2.8K ARRI Alexa digital cameras. Then “War for the Planet” in 2017 was shot using 6.5K ARRI Alexa digital cameras.

Back to “The Batman”, I know the PQ is spectacular because of the 4.5K Resolution ARRI Alexa digital cameras, but I hope I like the writing/directing as much as you do. :D

Can’t wait for the Atmos soundtrack also. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am watching this for sure.

I am glad director Matt Reeves has embraced digital 4K cameras. :D

”Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011” was shot in analog 35mm. Then “Dawn of the Planet” in 2014 was shot using 2.8K ARRI Alexa digital cameras. Then “War for the Planet” in 2017 was shot using 6.5K ARRI Alexa digital cameras.

Back to “The Batman”, I know the PQ is spectacular because of the 4.5K Resolution ARRI Alexa digital cameras, but I hope I like the writing/directing as much as you do. :D

Can’t wait for the Atmos soundtrack also. :D
I hope you enjoy it!

I'm excited to see where Reeves takes his trilogy! They are signed for a 3 picture deal. So expect two more in the coming years.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope you enjoy it!

I'm excited to see where Reeves takes his trilogy! They are signed for a 3 picture deal. So expect two more in the coming years.
I love "The Batman" movie. I think it was very exciting.

The 4.5K resolution video was very good. The Atmos sound was amazing.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I love "The Batman" movie. I think it was very exciting.

The 4.5K resolution video was very good. The Atmos sound was amazing.
I will watch it on HBOMax because why not, but I can't wait for the physical copy.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I hope James Cameron releases Avatar in 4K/Atmos.
Supposedly, he finished remastering The Abyss last year. Some rumor mills say he's working on True Lies and Titanic.

I'm fairly certain there is going to be an Avatar 4k Atmos edition dropping before the next one comes out. It will sell very quickly. Cameron has said he is for having the best possible picture and sound. So it only makes sense that his movies hit the best possible format.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Supposedly, he finished remastering The Abyss last year. Some rumor mills say he's working on True Lies and Titanic.

I'm fairly certain there is going to be an Avatar 4k Atmos edition dropping before the next one comes out. It will sell very quickly. Cameron has said he is for having the best possible picture and sound. So it only makes sense that his movies hit the best possible format.
Avatar was shot using a 2K digital camera, while the other old movies were shot using analog 35mm films. So I am only looking forward to Avatar 4K. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Avatar was shot using a 2K digital camera, while the other old movies were shot using analog 35mm films. So I am only looking forward to Avatar 4K. :D
The unfortunate part is that 4k upscales of 2k movies are not that great. Especially since almost 90% of that movie is using CGI and all that CGI is shot in 2k, upscales are not crispy clean 4k gold I know you're looking for. :p

But taking AWESOME 35mm and using the true negative of the film and upscaling that and cleaning those up, those look amazing. :D:cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The unfortunate part is that 4k upscales of 2k movies are not that great. Especially since almost 90% of that movie is using CGI and all that CGI is shot in 2k, upscales are not crispy clean 4k gold I know you're looking for. :p

But taking AWESOME 35mm and using the true negative of the film and upscaling that and cleaning those up, those look amazing. :D:cool:
I think the big difference between DIGITAL (whether it is 2K or 4K) vs ANALOG is that Digital (2K, 4K) has a much smoother picture quality. So a 2K Digital is still gonna look smoother than a 70mm Analog, especially for darker scenes.

Even on 2K BD, movies like Avatar and TRON Legacy (both shot with 2K Digital Cameras) look much smoother than many "4K" movies that were shot using analog 35/70 mm cameras, especially if the movies were not originally Mastered in 4K Digital.

What I've noticed recently is that even movies that are shot using 35 mm films are mastered in 2K or 4K digital. Wouldn't it be easier to transfer from Digital to Digital, instead of Analog to Digital?

So that's why I would take movies shot in 2K Digital than movies shot using Analog cameras.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Saw The Northman over the weekend. Amazing! I'm giving it a 9/10. PQ and AQ were both top notch. I was able to see it in a Dolby ATMOS theater. The music used in the movie was excellent. If you're into Viking history/mythology you will love this movie. One of the best Viking movies out there.

I think if I had any complaint it would be the bass. But I think that's just more on the theater not cranking the bass levels. I think once this hits physical, the bass is going to sound very good.

I will keep my reviews super short as to not say anything that would spoil it for people interested in seeing it. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Saw The Northman over the weekend. Amazing! I'm giving it a 9/10. PQ and AQ were both top notch. I was able to see it in a Dolby ATMOS theater. The music used in the movie was excellent. If you're into Viking history/mythology you will love this movie. One of the best Viking movies out there.

I think if I had any complaint it would be the bass. But I think that's just more on the theater not cranking the bass levels. I think once this hits physical, the bass is going to sound very good.

I will keep my reviews super short as to not say anything that would spoil it for people interested in seeing it. :D
I'll probably like "The Northman" since I love "Vikings", "Vikings Valhalla" and "The Last Kingdom".

My gripe BEFORE I watch this movie: Shot in 35mm Analog film and then transferred to 4K-Digital Master. Why not just shoot the damn movie in 4K Digital to begin with? Should still look fantastic, but just saying. :D

But at least it was made with Atmos, unlike Christopher Nolan. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'll probably like "The Northman" since I love "Vikings", "Vikings Valhalla" and "The Last Kingdom".

My gripe BEFORE I watch this movie: Shot in 35mm Analog film and then transferred to 4K-Digital Master. Why not just shoot the damn movie in 4K Digital to begin with? Should still look fantastic, but just saying. :D

But at least it was made with Atmos, unlike Christopher Nolan. :D
All three shows you listed are great. They finished shooting The Last Kingdom movie back in March. So hopefully we'll be seeing that later this year or early next year.

Haha, you and your all digital....haha :D Picture was very good. Seems like this was done the same way The lighthouse was shot. The Witch was shot in 2k. He must like the look of 35mm upscaled to 4k.

Christopher Nolan's 5.1 lossless mixes are some of the best 5.1's on the market. I agree that I wish he would do ATMOS, but I can't complain about his sound mixes. They are some of the best and they also sound better than 70% of movies that have an ATMOS track. Disney should just stick lossless 5.1 tracks on all their movies. Instead of giving us the garbage they put out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis