İs my subwoofer faulty?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing wrong with a good used sub, altho some risk for lack of warranty perhaps. I'd also perhaps consider DIY if you have the facility/skills/tools (that's what I do).

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
The prices in amazon for used speakers are at 50%. They only thing i dont know is how many years they have them and how heavy use they perform. Svs is a very good brand and it can afford heavy use. So, i have 3 options:

1) i stay with this sub. The last graphics from audyssey (falling at 40hz)they are permanent on a position on the corner. The weird thing is that from the whole corner ONLY ONE SPECIFIC place gives this graph and even if i turn it/push it 2 cm, it looses it and goes to a much much worse performance. So maybe it confuses the audyssey? Or it gives sub just to my 1st mic position? Dunno its very weird. Volume knob is at 35% and audyssey still gives -8db correction... is it ok?

2) i will complain to the shop and i if they accept i will take this instead
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-sw300/index.html
Preety small for ported subwoofer right?

3) or i will sell my sub alone, add so something like 50-100$ And take this https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-white-gloss-outlet used. With a little gamble.

I will read all your opinions about my choices, but i have to decide in 2-3 days max. And no, i cant make my own sub, i wish i could :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The prices in amazon for used speakers are at 50%. They only thing i dont know is how many years the have them and how heavy use they perform. Svs is a very good brand and it can afford heavy use. So, i have 3 options.

1) i stay with this sub. The last graphics from audyssey (falling at 40hz)they are permanent on a position on the corner. The weird thing is that from the whole corner ONLY ONE SPECIFIC place gives this graph and even if i turn it/push it 2 cm, it looses it and goes to a much much worse performance. So maybe it confuses the audyssey? Or it gives sub just to my 1st mic position? Dunno its very weird. Volume knob is at 35% and audyssey still gives -8db correction... is it ok?

2) i will complain to the shop and i if they accept i will take this instead
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-sw300/index.html
Preety small for ported subwoofer right?

3) or i will sell my sub alone, add so something like 100$ And take this https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000-white-gloss-outlet used. With a little gamble.

I will read all your opinions about my choices, but i have to decide in 2-3 days max.
YOU... got me to repurchase the editor app and give it another try. I've been thinking about it anyway and posting in your thread got me going, lol. I spent last night and all of this morning so far running setup and doing sweeps with REW.

The "after" graphs that Audyssey shows aren't actual measurements. They're a target. Check this out.
Screenshot_2019-09-20-07-33-17.png

Audyssey 9-19-19 sweeps-1.jpg

I posted this so you can see the differences between Audyssey's target and actual in room accurate measurements. As far as your sub options I'd be all over the SVS SB1000. I believe it will greatly outperform what you have now. Is there a reason for a sealed box design over ported? I prefer ported myself, but they are a bit larger. Also, if you look for a SB1000 with the oak veneer you can save a couple of bucks. They're black, but to me that's a non issue.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
YOU... got me to repurchase the editor app and give it another try. I've been thinking about it anyway and posting in your thread got me going, lol. I spent last night and all of this morning so far running setup and doing sweeps with REW.

The "after" graphs that Audyssey shows aren't actual measurements. They're a target. Check this out.
View attachment 31428
View attachment 31430

I posted this so you can see the differences between Audyssey's target and actual in room accurate measurements. As far as your sub options I'd be all over the SVS SB1000. I believe it will greatly outperform what you have now. Is there a reason for a sealed box design over ported? I prefer ported myself, but they are a bit larger. Also, if you look for a SB1000 with the oak veneer you can save a couple of bucks. They're black, but to me that's a non issue.
your subwoofer plays too strong low. This is not a subwoofer its hades himself! O:p
What are the colourfull lines represent and where is audyssey?

So you are saying that my sub doesnt play as good as it shows? What i can do to measure better?

The yamaha link up, is a ported subwoofer. Check it out. I prefer ported too because of movie effect. But there are huge. That one is small.
Colour saves some bucks but....its ugly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
your subwoofer plays too strong low. This is not a subwoofer its hades himself! O:p
What are the colourfull lines represent and where is audyssey?

So you are saying that my sub doesnt play as good as it shows? What i can do to measure better?

The yamaha link up, is a ported subwoofer. Check it out. I prefer ported too because of movie effect. But there are huge. That one is small.
Colour saves some bucks but....its ugly.
Too strong low?! What does that even mean?
The colorful lines represent the frequency response of my subs with Audyssey's FLAT setting. Each line represents a different DEQ setting in my AVR. OFF, and ON with the 4 different reference level offsets (0, 5, 10 and 15).

I don't know if your sub is playing as low as the "After" Audyssey chart shows or not. It might be spot on. I'm just pointing out that it CAN be inaccurate. The only way to tell is to do sweeps with a good measurement mic and a program like REW (how I got the chart with the colorful lines).

I'll take a look at the Yamaha sub again if you like. I can't really offer an opinion tho because I've never heard one in action. I know they're not usually recommended here. I have heard SVS in action tho, and they make stellar products. Plus with their 45 day trial (they'll pay shipping both ways and full refund if not satisfied) there's no risk. If you don't like it you can send it back on their dime.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to actually measure, the Audyssey graphs aren't it. Get a measurement mic and REW to start....

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
If you want to actually measure, the Audyssey graphs aren't it. Get a measurement mic and REW to start....
Why i cant put a youtube at 30hz and see if i listen anything?
Because this mics are expensive

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Thats the best i can do. I run audyssey 30 times. There is just 1 subwoofer position yet very easy to loose. Acceptable? Audyssey placed subwoofer at -8db i changed it manually at -5. Master volume set at 35-38% before audyssey

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats the best i can do. I run audyssey 30 times. There is just 1 subwoofer position yet very easy to loose. Acceptable? Audyssey placed subwoofer at -8db i changed it manually at -5. Master volume set at 35-38% before audyssey
We have no way of telling whether or not it's "acceptable" without accurate measurements. Your trim levels and 35% gain setting on your sub are all within what I consider to be pretty normal.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Your trim levels and 35% gain setting on your sub are all within what I consider to be pretty normal.
I am not accurate i know i need to buy expensive mic.
What do you mean? Can you rephrase with more simple words?
What about my charts? Why your “room correction before” green line comes from up and in my chart comes from down?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not accurate i know. What do you mean? Can you rephrase with more simple words?
What about my charts? Why your room correction before green line comes from up and in my chart comes from down?
The before charts are what Audyssey measured in your room. It uses that measurement to make adjustments for a flat response. My room and speakers measure differently from your room and speakers. No 2 rooms or speakers will measure the same.

*Edit: I have two 15 inch (40 cm) ported subwoofers that are capable of playing very low.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why i cant put a youtube at 30hz and see if i listen anything?
Because this mics are expensive
You can do anything you want of course. Listening to a 30hz tone will tell you something, but what particularly as far as level goes? What about the frequencies above and below it? A measurement mic could be a good long term investment for your audio pursuits is all I'm suggesting ($100 compared to how much you might spend on various audio gear over a long period of time isn't that bad). The guy who developed Audyssey (Chris Kyriakakis) was the one who once indicated that the graphs are a general visualization but not to be taken too seriously as you might an actual measurement.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
You can do anything you want of course. Listening to a 30hz tone will tell you something, but what particularly as far as level goes? What about the frequencies above and below it? A measurement mic could be a good long term investment for your audio pursuits is all I'm suggesting ($100 compared to how much you might spend on various audio gear over a long period of time isn't that bad). The guy who developed Audyssey (Chris Kyriakakis) was the one who once indicated that the graphs are a general visualization but not to be taken too seriously as you might an actual measurement.
So what audyssey has to offer in general? Just to fix the levels the distances and the crossovers? Or the Rev fixes this things too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So what audyssey has to offer in general? Just to fix the levels the distances and the crossovers? Or the Rev fixes this things too.
Audyssey does a pretty good job for me in my room. REW shows me that It's not as perfect as their "after" graph, but much better than the "before" so it definitely helped. You can test this by ear if you want to. Go into your settings and turn MultEQ XT OFF. you should be able to hear a noticeable improvement when you switch between OFF and FLAT or REFERENCE.

Have you gone into your settings and played with the -Reference Level Offset, Dynamic Volume or LFC? How about crossovers and speaker settings too (large/small)? I can't remember if you told us that earlier and I don't wanna dig, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey is intertwined by the avr/pre-pros that utilize it with speaker setup but it primarily provides equalization. You mean REW I assume (stands for RoomEQ Wizard)....it's software primarily used for measurement but with some gear can provide implementation of eq.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
View attachment 31399

That graph shows us the same thing the graphs you posted shows us. That sub drops off at 60 hz doesn't have much below 50 hz.
You guys are so nice and helpful. However, I must be honest, he's gong have to bite the bullet and get a better performing sub(s) for what I think he's trying to obtain performance wise.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely agree, the sub is really not a good product.
The first set of Audyssey graphs OP put up show a huge Suck-Out that was fixed with a different placement. Still not great, but this is why we say the crawl can help you out, @killbill13 . If you get the place in your room where the Sub performs best, you will be one step ahead.

As I just posted in the other thread you have open: Room EQ Wizard is great, and free for the program, but the Mic is around $100US. You can do very well with your setup just being patient and using your ears! :) The green "Before" graph that Aud shows is your best tool right now.
The better measuring responses will have less change in dB (decibel) above and below 0: the narrower your peaks and dips, the better. :)

If you are able: you will be happier with a better sub.
If you have to keep that one for a while, you need to play with your whole setup. Start with just your main speakers in stereo to get good position and performance. Add in the Center. Then the crawl for finding the best place to put the sub.

Cheers!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Audyssey does a pretty good job for me in my room. REW shows me that It's not as perfect as their "after" graph, but much better than the "before" so it definitely helped. You can test this by ear if you want to. Go into your settings and turn MultEQ XT OFF. you should be able to hear a noticeable improvement when you switch between OFF and FLAT or REFERENCE.

Have you gone into your settings and played with the -Reference Level Offset, Dynamic Volume or LFC? How about crossovers and speaker settings too (large/small)? I can't remember if you told us that earlier and I don't wanna dig, lol.
Your after curve is perfect. what are you doing to get this? What version you have audyssey XT or audyssey XT32?
i see difference when i close audussey. Worse, Raw sound. Specially in speaker levels.
Reference offset doesn change anytjing to me i have netflix just and apple music. And a sattelite tv worse quality than netflix,
Dynamic volume not sure what it does, it boosts the sound not sure if its really good.
Dynamic EQ not sure it changes something.
LFC doesnt appear in my meny and i dont know why

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your after curve is perfect. what are you doing to get this? What version you have audyssey XT or audyssey XT32?
Mostly improvement i see when i close audussey. Worse, Raw sound.
The "after" curve looks perfect according to Audyssey's chart, but it doesn't measure that way when I use different, more accurate software and a mic to take measurements. The "after" chart that Audyssey shows is not a measurement. It's a target. Audyssey will do its best to get there, but you need measurement software and a good mic so you can see where it really is. We keep telling you this over and over. Those Audyssey charts are not accurate enough to go by, especially "after". "After" is not an actual measurement. It's a goal, target, prediction or what it's going to try to do.

I have Audyssey XT32 SubEQ HT. <---- Now there's a confusing jumble of letters and numbers, lol.

*Edit: It also looks better because I have pretty good subwoofers (2 of them). You're fighting an uphill battle trying to squeeze "perfect" out of the sub you have right now. You need a better sub.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis