İs my subwoofer faulty?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why the manufactor says 30 and it goes 40hz, am i doing something wrong?
İs it faulty or bad product?
And the doors are open.
Manufacturer specs are often inflated. It probably does play down to 30 hz, just not very loud or useable. Closing your doors will help for sure, but I second @William Lemmerhirt's opinion. I think you need a better sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For the record I’m not trying to bust you up or anything. I just think you were sold a low performance unit. it’s a good reason to buy from a reputable manufacturer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For the record I’m not trying to bust you up or anything. I just think you were sold a low performance unit. it’s a good reason to buy from a reputable manufacturer.
Yes! I agree Bill. We don't wanna come off like we're beating him up, but he has to know what's going on if he's to solve his issue.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
It looks like you have some sort of EQ setting on your sub.
Let us know what type of control you have and what it is set at.
I am thinking things are boomy, so you turn the volume down and don't get much power out of the sub!
The spike you are showing at 35Hz may be a source of the problem.
I might - for a very quick and dirty test - pull the subs away from the wall/corner more into the middle of the room (just a temporary test). Run Audyssey again and see if that improves your sound. If so, that will indicate that your gear is reasonably capable and the problem is setup/location of your sub.
İ will let you know. EQ is set to zero.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes! I agree Bill. We don't wanna come off like we're beating him up, but he has to know what's going on if he's to solve his issue.
This my friend, is true. Kinda figured I was going there by explaining some things about the unit. Things I took as design flaws. Maybe I shouldn’t have, I can’t get much info from
Manufacturer. Kinda felt like our British friend tlsguy, in being so blunt. Lol. I’ll bow out if I’m being a dikk. Got some shiit going on. Guess it’s coming out here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This my friend, is true. Kinda figured I was going there by explaining some things about the unit. Things I took as design flaws. Maybe I shouldn’t have, I can’t get much info from
Manufacturer. Kinda felt like our British friend tlsguy, in being so blunt. Lol. I’ll bow out if I’m being a dikk. Got some shiit going on. Guess it’s coming out here.
Not at all! I could have worded my reply better. No need to bow out. I don't think you stepped out of line at all. I agree with your observations.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not at all! I could have worded my reply better. No need to bow out. I don't think you stepped out of line at all. I agree with your observations.
Ok. Thanks brother. Appreciate that!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From what I can see on those graphs your sub just doesn't play very loud below 40 hz.
As I read it - looking at the red graph below which I assume is after Audyssey, the sub is at +5dB at 60Hz, then drops 10dB to -5dB at 50Hz, and drops another 12dB to -17dB at 40Hz! Then it spikes a full 15dB to -2dB at 35Hz.
As I read it, the left side of the graph is 20Hz!
I believe each line below 100Hz represents a 10Hz increment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Advance Acoustic site is no help as to spec at all (at least the English version). I've never heard of the brand either but if it's a european brand that wouldn't surprise me particularly. Your postings do seem to point at a sub on the weak side for performance. What are the avr settings for crossover? What controls are on the sub and how did you set them?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As I read it - looking at the red graph below which I assume is after Audyssey, the sub is at +5dB at 60Hz, then drops 10dB to -5dB at 50Hz, and drops another 12dB to -17dB at 40Hz! Then it spikes a full 15dB to -2dB at 35Hz.
I thought the same thing Kurt, but when you start at the other end and count up there are 4 lines so I went with 40 since 60 seems awful high for a 10" sub. Honestly now I'm not sure which is correct.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Advance Acoustic site is no help as to spec at all (at least the English version). I've never heard of the brand either but if it's a european brand that wouldn't surprise me particularly. Your postings do seem to point at a sub on the weak side for performance. What are the avr settings for crossover? What controls are on the sub and how did you set them?
I can answer a couple - It is a French brand and his XO is at 80Hz (using Marantz 5013).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind, the red line is NOT an actual measurement. It’s a target for audyssey to try and hit. The green one, I believe is an actual measurement but the resolution is difficult at best.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can answer a couple - It is a French brand and his XO is at 80Hz (using Marantz 5013).
LOL I saw Advance Paris so had the French thing pegged, but site comes up in English so was wondering if the French version had more :) Missed the xover, and that's in the Marantz rather than on the sub itself?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought the same thing Kurt, but when you start at the other end and count up there are 4 lines so I went with 40 since 60 seems awful high for a 10" sub. Honestly now I'm not sure which is correct.
I would bet good money that the curve starts at 20 Hz. Most such charts do not go to 0 Hz.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind, the red line is NOT an actual measurement. It’s a target for audyssey to try and hit. The green one, I believe is an actual measurement but the resolution is difficult at best.
I was interpreting the green as the original measurement and the red as a predicted result. It is surely a jagged line to be a target curve!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was interpreting the green as the original measurement and the red as a predicted result. It is surely a jagged line to be a target curve!
Yes. Predicted is what I meant. Lol. And yes, the very edge is 20hz.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I will answer tomorrow to all this questions. Quickly, i used audyssey. I turned master volume down and repeat, it was booming, -12db.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis