İs my subwoofer faulty?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes i turned it down, ON the subwoofer volume knob.
Before audyssey, (because when it was 50% it was giving -12db correction value on audyssey on a previous measurement)
No audyssey didnt ask me to volume down the subwoofer knob.
My front speakers they must be small. Audyssey made them small as well. I would register as small anyway.
Audysey recommended lower values in crossover but i put 80 to both, as you see in the pic.
I will run audyssey in the center of the room, give me some time.
Sorry for my english...
When you adjust your sub using the gain knob in the back you should always run Audyssey again. If Audyssey set them at -12 the way you had it then yes, I would have turned it down too, then run it again.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Thanks. Definitely lacks good specs and info. Who knows what they mean by 30hz lower response. "Audiophile" gear like they sell doesn't lead me to believe they know what they're doing with subs....

ps Where is the sub positioned in your room and how did you choose that position?
Its close to coach now. It was in a corner, and it was giving too much bass. You can see the distances in first post. I have a drawing of the room. Do you want it?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its close to coach now. It was in a corner, and it was giving too much bass. You can see the distances in first post. I have a drawing of the room. Do you want it?
Did you see my post with the image of the graph from the German (Chrome translated it for me) review site? That sub just doesn't have the juice to go much below 50 hz. You might improve some things moving it around but ultimately I think a better sub would be in order. Especially if you're watching movies and stuff with explosions in it.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I made 6 new different measurements in new positions.
I found 2 positions and i am getting better curves. 1 to the corner and one to the very center of the room. ( partialy center more to the right failed)
Its booming yes but i think i can reduce the volume slightly and repeat.
I am uploading the improoved curves.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You are making some progress and those do look better. It looks like it's measuring a little lower and drops off around 40 hz. Which chart is that? You moved the sub then took measurements again from where you sit? Are you following the pattern on the screen and using all 8 mic positions? Is the mic at ear level? I know that's a lot of questions. I just want to make sure we have all bases covered before moving forward. Good job on the improvement!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I made 6 new different measurements in new positions.
I found 2 positions and i am getting better curves. 1 to the corner and one to the very center of the room. ( partialy center more to the right failed)
Its booming yes but i think i can reduce the volume slightly and repeat.
I am uploading the improoved curves.
Great. That is much better!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
You are making some progress and those do look better. It looks like it's measuring a little lower and drops off around 40 hz. Which chart is that? You moved the sub then took measurements again from where you sit? Are you following the pattern on the screen and using all 8 mic positions? Is the mic at ear level? I know that's a lot of questions. I just want to make sure we have all bases covered before moving forward. Good job on the improvement!
I am doing 3 positions. Yes i am doing all like this except the 8 placement.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Great. That is much better!
This placement is very fragile. I moved it a little and i lost it again. I just take 2 curves. The good one, i just see it 2 times, its like rare.
So either there is a bad subwoofer, or my room is difficult so i still need another better subwoofer i think.
We are talking about price range from 400 to 600€ ( u can say dollars ok)
And the region is europe prices little more high

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This placement is very fragile. I moved it a little and i lost it again. I just take 2 curves. The good one, i just see it 2 times, its like rare.
So either there is a bad subwoofer, or my room is difficult so i still need another better subwoofer i think.
You need to try the sub crawl!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am doing 3 positions. Yes i am doing all like this except the 8 placement.
3 is better than one, but 8 is better than 3. The way room correction works, the more information the better. 3 is okay for what you're doing, experimenting with positions. When you're settled on that I recommend doing all 8. And be sure to check out the link and video on how to do the sub crawl!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
3 is better than one, but 8 is better than 3. The way room correction works, the more information the better. 3 is okay for what you're doing, experimenting with positions. When you're settled on that I recommend doing all 8. And be sure to check out the link and video on how to do the sub crawl!
İ know crawl i think it doesnt work if u see how the sub works, it has pasive radiator.
The 1 st position is my seating position or the middle position of the couch? Because audyssey shows middle position, and i dont sit there

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
İ know crawl i think it doesnt work if u see how the sub works, it has pasive radiator.
The 1 st position is my seating position or the middle position of the couch? Because audyssey shows middle position, and i dont sit there
What type of sub it is doesn't matter. What you're doing is using physics to your advantage. If the sub is in your chair and there's a spot in the room where it sounds better, then the reverse applies. That's just the way sound works.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
What type of sub it is doesn't matter. What you're doing is using physics to your advantage. If the sub is in your chair and there's a spot in the room where it sounds better, then the reverse applies. That's just the way sound works.
whats the first position of audyssey?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Btw, you might wanna try turning off MRC in the app. That dip at 2khz is not a good thing. Of course iirc that’s something BBC does so maybe you’re used to it? lol. I would turn it off though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you add another different sub it may make integration more difficult and the weaker sub will still be a limitation. Might look into SVS, BK Elec or XTZ sub offerings....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you add another different sub it may make integration more difficult and the weaker sub will still be a limitation. Might look into SVS, BK Elec or XTZ sub offerings....
Agreed. And even though PR’s aren’t ports, they behave very much the same and so I think he’d have a lot of issues around the tuning points. Considering the already high roll off of the current sub, I think it would be just more problems. Not to mention what you said about limiting the new one...

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Btw, you might wanna try turning off MRC in the app. That dip at 2khz is not a good thing. Of course iirc that’s something BBC does so maybe you’re used to it? lol. I would turn it off though.
Can you spell MRC full so i can find it? Any settings are after the graph. So i wont see the result.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you spell MRC full so i can find it? Any settings are after the graph. So i wont see the result.
Sorry about that. Thought you might have seen it in settings. Sometimes forget that these terms and shorthand are barely English lol.
It means “Mid Range Compensation”. It’s a dip that audyssey puts in. I’m not % sure why, but the bbc uses it for intelligibility or something. I personally think it ruins clarity and always turn it off.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
A used subwoofer from amazon is a good idea? Because new SVS is a bit expensive.
If the shop takes this adavance acoustic back i will have a discount but with a big IF and i have to add 300€ at least. Used sub is a cheaper option in all scenarios.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis