İs my subwoofer faulty?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I was interpreting the green as the original measurement and the red as a predicted result. It is surely a jagged line to be a target curve!
It says before and after down if u see my pic more carefully

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It says before and after down if u see my pic more carefully
I don’t know how much experience you have with the app, but just so you know the red line is the predicted curve. Basically that’s what audyssey thinks it can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will answer tomorrow to all this questions. Quickly, i used audyssey. I turned master volume down and repeat, it was booming, -12db.
More interested in the controls/settings on the sub itself. The 80hz crossover setting is in the avr only?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Thanks. First thing I'd set that low pass filter on the sub (marked as "crossover") to it's max setting. I'd like to know what the eq dial does....you said you set it to 0? Is this representative of how you set the sub or is some pic off their site?
Is set to zero the EQ. Never touched it and dont know how to use it.
Crossover to max on the sub set to 80 from audyssey.
Pic is not mine.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. First thing I'd set that low pass filter on the sub (marked as "crossover") to it's max setting. I'd like to know what the eq dial does....you said you set it to 0? Is this representative of how you set the sub or is some pic off their site?
Yeah, that eq knob is like "huh?".

@killbill13, like HD said, turn the crossover knob on your sub all the way up to 150 hz when you're using the avr crossover. You have 2 filters going on with your avr and your sub amp.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I might - for a very quick and dirty test - pull the subs away from the wall/corner more into the middle of the room (just a temporary test). Run Audyssey again and see if that improves your sound. If so, that will indicate that your gear is reasonably capable and the problem is setup/location of your sub.
I still believe this would be a good course of action. You might want to listen to a favorite song with good bass before you pull the sub towards the center of the room, then listen to the same song after Audyssey!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The sub plays very weak and it doesn't give punch at all. The master volume is set very low at 35% because it was booming and destroy the sound. I run Audyssey MultEQ with the app. I set crossovers at 80 and changed from -5 to -2 to add power.
Did you turn down the volume to 35% at the subwoofer control?
Was this before or after Audyssey?
Did Audyssey setup ask you to change the sub volume when it ran?
Are your front speakers (R&L) designated as small by Audyssey?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I still believe this would be a good course of action. You might want to listen to a favorite song with good bass before you pull the sub to towards the center of the room, then listen to the same song after Audyssey!
I agree with this too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. In this case the cost for the potential gain is free!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_surround/advance_acoustic-kubik_k9skcenterk3ssub-200_8212
Until i test the sub to the center of the room, i found this review in German. We need someone who knows german :cool:
Also it has all my set up speakers except the Kubic K9s, which are very expensive tower speakers, and my front speakers are used as surround in this setup( i have a 3.1 system explained in the first page)

The intresting thing is that my sub (advance acoustic sub 200)has a graph in dbSPL (dunno what it is or how i can see it in my app) so there is a possibility (if its a real graph) maybe that my sub can perform better.
Check it out guys.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
advance-acoustic-kubik-k9skcenterk3ssub-200-lautsprecher-surround-23446.jpg

That graph shows us the same thing the graphs you posted shows us. That sub drops off at 60 hz doesn't have much below 50 hz.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Did you turn down the volume to 35% at the subwoofer control?
Was this before or after Audyssey?
Did Audyssey setup ask you to change the sub volume when it ran?
Are your front speakers (R&L) designated as small by Audyssey?
Yes i turned it down, ON the subwoofer volume knob.
Before audyssey, (because when it was 50% it was giving -12db correction value on audyssey on a previous measurement)
No audyssey didnt ask me to volume down the subwoofer knob.
My front speakers they must be small. Audyssey made them small as well. I would register as small anyway.
Audysey recommended lower values in crossover but i put 80 to both, as you see in the pic.
I will run audyssey in the center of the room, give me some time.
Sorry for my english...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis