annunaki

annunaki

Much agreed with badphan here.

Though LCD has made great strides, the inherent flaws with the tech still plague it, most notably off axis response. Most LCD's, including the local dimming LED, have a +/-10 degree viewing window. Outside of that, everything you paid for is more or less useless as your black levels and color accuracy are now shot.

Plasma is STILL the way to go if you are after the highest quality, most realistic representation for video playback (projectors excluded).

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Mike, there are 58" panny's, last years models are being closed out at really good prices, and the new larger models (58" and 65") are yet to be released, but they will be by the end of the summer or early fall - which is typical time frames for them...

If you are looking at last years models, look at the 850 models, which allow the best tweakability options and can be custom calibrated if thats your thing, but I found my 65" panny 850 to be fantastic, with standard user adjustment and calibration disks...

Look here for model #'s https://clevelandplasma.com/store/plasma_tv_s/panasonic

They are a very reputable sales site... with great respect and are a forum sponsor on AVS... :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Mike what are the prices in your vested area? The 50" G10 retails for 2699.00 cdn and the 50" S1 comes in at $2399.00 with TCP54S1 at 2999.00. I would prefer the thx certified G10 but I'm leaning towards the larger S1 display because my budget <3000.

Regards, Bill:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Mike, there are 58" panny's, last years models are being closed out at really good prices, and the new larger models (58" and 65") are yet to be released, but they will be by the end of the summer or early fall - which is typical time frames for them...

If you are looking at last years models, look at the 850 models, which allow the best tweakability options and can be custom calibrated if thats your thing, but I found my 65" panny 850 to be fantastic, with standard user adjustment and calibration disks...

Look here for model #'s https://clevelandplasma.com/store/plasma_tv_s/panasonic

They are a very reputable sales site... with great respect and are a forum sponsor on AVS... :)
+1. However, Costco will save you an additional $100 from Cleveland's price on the 58" 800u, while also throwing in for free an extended two years warranty. Most importantly, Costco has CS that others can only dream about. Not that Cleveland doesn't have good CS.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56315

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike what are the prices in your vested area? The 50" G10 retails for 2699.00 cdn and the 50" S1 comes in at $2399.00 with TCP54S1 at 2999.00. I would prefer the thx certified G10 but I'm leaning towards the larger S1 display because my budget <3000.

Regards, Bill:)
usually, when given the choice over two series that are not that far from each other in price, i'll go for the higher series.

it looks like these are around 2k in the US. my tv stand is 63" wide, if i go bigger than 40" panel ... my bookshelves have to displace somewhere.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what does the G15 do better than the G10? (Sorry, specs are flying over my head - and i don't really believe in the other tv specs now)

bandphan, pioneer elite 46"er or panny 54"er Gsomething? which would you pick?

one more thing to note is that im around 4' away from the display most of the time :D

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
usually, when given the choice over two series that are not that far from each other in price, i'll go for the higher series.

it looks like these are around 2k in the US. my tv stand is 63" wide, if i go bigger than 40" panel ... my bookshelves have to displace somewhere.
I wish I had purchased a bigger tv stand the first time around...:eek: If and when I decide to get the new display anything larger than a 50" will require a wall mount and a host of other problems;):).

Good luck in your decision, Bill :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
+1. However, Costco will save you an additional $100 from Cleveland's price on the 58" 800u, while also throwing in for free an extended two years warranty. Most importantly, Costco has CS that others can only dream about. Not that Cleveland doesn't have good CS.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56315
I agree with you 100% but my point in looking at Cleveland Plasma was that you could get the 850 series which offers more tweakability, that the lower quality product from costco (800 series) does not have those options....

I looked at the Costco stuff, in fact at the time, I could have gotten 2 plasmas for a damn nice deal, but they have less options and that got me concerned. Not everyone needs the extra options, but I know mike cares about these minor things and strives forth to attain the better product...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you 100% but my point in looking at Cleveland Plasma was that you could get the 850 series which offers more tweakability, that the lower quality product from costco (800 series) does not have those options....

I looked at the Costco stuff, in fact at the time, I could have gotten 2 plasmas for a damn nice deal, but they have less options and that got me concerned. Not everyone needs the extra options, but I know mike cares about these minor things and strives forth to attain the better product...
Ah yeah. I've been really pushing "bigger" displays lately, so forgive my one-track mind. :p Just to beat the dead horse, while sticking to my tunnel vision, I do think as far as the 58" is concerned, or in fact any size is concerned, right now the sweetspot deal is the 58" 800u. Significantly better PQ than 80/85 series, while having shipping included, and 2yr warranty. The 58" 850 is $3100 shipped, and to take advantage of its abilities will mean another $400 for pro calibration as far as most of us are concerned, for the total of $3500. That's a 75% price increase. Otherwise the 800u is more accurate OTB, namely in THX mode IIRC.

However, now that I see what mike's viewing distance is!!!...

one more thing to note is that im around 4' away from the display most of the time :D
I would not opt for anything larger than 42". Of course 1080p is an absolute must, as is the best video processing you can afford. 42" is 41.7 viewing angle from 4ft. I'd dig around on the reviews some more. Definitely Panasonic.

R

rekced

Audioholic
In less than 3 monthes time I'll have my 1st wide screen TV. I'm soo looking fiorward to it. However, I don't which technology route to follow. Should I go with plasma or LCD as plasma seems to be cheaper now than LCD and offer better black levels. Any advice?

When the price is equal, there is nothing a plasma can't do better. Go ahead.

Exceptions:

1. Power consumption. LCDs are not always better in this area, but usually they average out lower.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/

2. Weight of the TV. LCDs are typically lighter.

3. Maximum brightness. This is irrelevant for people who make any attempt whatsoever to tune their picture for accuracy.

4. Reflection. LCD manufactures have the option of putting a flat matte finish on their screens to defuse glare. However, a lot of makers now are using glossy gimmick coatings right on the screen to create the illusion of richer colors and deeper blacks in a bright room. That feature doesn't really help anything except create buying appeal for the untrained eye. LCD makers will stick with it until regular folk become well informed enough to tell 'em where to stick it. Plasmas are perfectly bright and visible in a bright room and never attempt to make their screens "extra glossy". When I first saw this feature becoming common I honestly couldn't believe it, but it works.. People actually like it.

If none of those four things absolutely knock your socks off, get a decent plasma. They have a better viewing angle, more color detail, lower pixel response time (never had inherent motion issues) and better black levels. They actually look like a real TV. I can't say the same about even $5,000 LCDs, LED or fluorescent backlit models (notice they call them "LED TVs", trying to make consumers think it's something newer than LCD. This is the mentality where that market thrives!).

Brutal enough?

P.S. I have suggested to people on occasion that they should buy LCDs if they have huge windows or skylights, but that was probably because I didn't care about their actual viewing experience or wanting to keep the conversation short. In reality I would buy a plasma even if I was watching the ****ing thing outdoors.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I happened to stroll throug Costclo over the weekend and found a 52" Plasma made by Samsung for $1800. Cdn . How well do Samsung Plasma's fair against the Pannies? I own a Samusng washer/dryer that just work really well with ruthless efficeincy but thats so different from TVs ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I would not opt for anything larger than 42". Of course 1080p is an absolute must, as is the best video processing you can afford. 42" is 41.7 viewing angle from 4ft. I'd dig around on the reviews some more. Definitely Panasonic.
my bad. that was from memory. i took out a tape measure ... 60" distance :D

54" still in the running? :)
honestly, i'm saving some money - can't buy one yet ... if that was the next on the list, i can order 1 in 5 months

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned

honestly, i'm saving some money - can't buy one yet ... if that was the next on the list, i can order 1 in 5 months
50-54" at 5 feet is just fine:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard the Samsungs are really getting better.... Can't say to what degree of comparison.... Maybe someone can chime in on that Mike...

Go on costco's site, and look up the model #'s, when I checked last, some people gave them less stars and complained about buzzing and other issues...
Please don't take anything I said to any certain degree, I don't know anything about Samsungs whatsoever, just do your usual research and that will lead the way....

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
I recently bought a 50" plasma for "serious" viewing as my main consideration is picture quality for that application (Blu-ray & HDTV quality programming).

I am now shopping for a 40" - 50" LCD as a "second" or bedroom tv so I can watch CNN type stuff with bars and scrolls and whatever for sustained periods of time without any concerns.

IMHO for ultimate PQ at this point in time a good plasma can't be surpassed.
For "all round" use I'd go with LCD.

I was caught in the same position and decided the answer for me was to get both although I do realize it could be expensive to do so.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

50-54" at 5 feet is just fine:)
Really, it depends on the source material and personal preference, Mike. If you are like me, and watch only native hidef bluray, obviously you can go bigger. If you are watching local TV, well then I recommend smaller.

If, say, 99% bluray from 5ft, my personal preference would be 52". So, I guess I'll say 50" for you.

If you were mperfct, you would have a TV that was actually bigger than 65". :eek: However, he has anamorphic setup. Still, 65" at 16:9 is still close to his preference, IIRC.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I've heard the Samsungs are really getting better.... Can't say to what degree of comparison.... Maybe someone can chime in on that Mike...

Go on costco's site, and look up the model #'s, when I checked last, some people gave them less stars and complained about buzzing and other issues...
Please don't take anything I said to any certain degree, I don't know anything about Samsungs whatsoever, just do your usual research and that will lead the way....
How are you liking your 65" Panny Warp ??I was wondering how much light your viewing area gets or do you darken it up during early afternoon matinee and or sports programs.I am curious as I love that panel and would consider it for my next purchase but my HT area is rather bright in the afternoon so it really concerns me,thanks for your input.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Plasmas are perfectly bright and visible in a bright room and never attempt to make their screens "extra glossy".
That's because they're already essentially at maximum glossiness.

In reality I would buy a plasma even if I was watching the ****ing thing outdoors.
Yeah, that'd be great, because then instead of watching movies you could watch the reflection of trees and wildlife on your TV. Plasmas absolutely have a better picture than LCDs. And they absolutely have a serious problem with reflections in rooms that can't be well light controlled.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
How are you liking your 65" Panny Warp ??I was wondering how much light your viewing area gets or do you darken it up during early afternoon matinee and or sports programs.I am curious as I love that panel and would consider it for my next purchase but my HT area is rather bright in the afternoon so it really concerns me,thanks for your input.
Hey sawzalot.....

My room is pretty darn bright to be certain, and for games that are playing in the daytime hours I honestly don't have any issues, the sunlight is only flooding into the room, not directly onto the screen.... With games, most if not all the content is very bright so it is a non issue. Yesterday my woman and I were watching The Da Vinci Code early evening, and its a pretty dark movie for the most part so there were some times that it was not optimal viewing, but at night it is absolutly flawless... I truly love this plasma - it is to date the best I have owned and easily comparable to the best pioneer my friend has, for the difference in cost I can easily live with the slightly lesser darks, but it is really a spectacular set... I am still thrilled...

The price has dropped significantly and is a fantastic value for sure...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis