3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
In less than 3 monthes time I'll have my 1st wide screen TV. I'm soo looking fiorward to it. However, I don't which technology route to follow. Should I go with plasma or LCD as plasma seems to be cheaper now than LCD and offer better black levels. Any advice?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
What size? Large sizes I would go plasma small sizes (42 for instance) then LCD. Plasma is more cost-effective on large sizes.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Depends on your viewing habits. If you have a light controlled room and will be watching in a mostly darkened room, then I'd pick the plasma. If you have huge windows and have lots of light in the room, then I'd go LCD. If you have a dedicated room that is completely light controlled and fancy a big @$$ screen, then I'd go with a front projector.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
screen size will be between 46" and 56" and will be in a basement where there is some control of ambient light.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Panny Plasma!! Panny Plasma!! Panny Plasma!! :D:D:D
+1, No question

Do you have a budget for your TV, new products are coming out in the next 3 months, so if you are willing to get a last years model, there will be some great deals to be had...

New 58" & 65" Plasma's will be late summer, so the old models will drop in price to clear out inventory, in fact they are already dropping quite a bit.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
+1, No question

Do you have a budget for your TV, new products are coming out in the next 3 months, so if you are willing to get a last years model, there will be some great deals to be had...

New 58" & 65" Plasma's will be late summer, so the old models will drop in price to clear out inventory, in fact they are already dropping quite a bit.
around $2500.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Second the Panasonic plasma. I sit 12 feet away so I purchased a 720P 50 inch Panasonic Plasma a few months back for less than $1100. I sometimes wish I jumped up to the 58 inch. If you have three months you may get a great deal on one as was suggested.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
screen size will be between 46" and 56" and will be in a basement where there is some control of ambient light.
around $2500.
Can you fit in a 58"? This 58" Panny is $2,499 atm, and Costco is perhaps my most recommended vendor, because of their ridiculous CS. They extend warranties to two years, for free, as well. Price includes shipping and handling.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11310781&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

the newer G10 series are supposed to be a serious bang for buck value. The 54" will retail at $2,200. The savings should be applied to a bluray player, and ISF calibration, IMO. :)

Falling under budget are some Pioneers, and I think of models like the 5020, but they are all completely sold out as far as I can tell.

So yes! My advice, in order of importance,

1. Plasma definitely.

2. Biggest you can possibly fit.

3. Then the finest quality you can afford at the size.

4. Add bluray player. (May I recommend Panasonic?... or Oppo if you have double the bdp budget).

5. Professional calibration after using your set for a few months. YMMV, especially depending on the TV you buy (some are much more tweakable than others).

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
around $2500.
I believe the new G10's from Panasonic will be in that price range(here's hoping:D)in Canada and I would look no further, unless of course you up the anti and go with the new Samsung LED's.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I always forget who's a canuck, and who ain't. Always throws a monkey wrench in my shopping advice. :mad::eek::eek:
Did u forget I was CanucK or is your recommendations for Canucks? *L*

I'll take a look at Costco.

Timmy245

Timmy245

Audioholic
i think maybe there are a few things to consider first when like will you be gaming on this tv do you watch much sport
someone please correct me if im wrong but i believe plasmas can get screen burn by gaming on them therefore if you game alot LCD would be the way to go IMO but i also believe that LCD tvs are no so good with sport because of the quick movement blur or some "jumping" in the picture may occur although the 100hz/200hz are making this less obvious i still believe plasmas are most certainly better for sports
so in the end i do think you need to way up the options and decide what suits you best but if you do go for plasma i agree with everyone else, panasonic :)
good luck

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
The screen burn issue was more relevant to much earlier generations of Plasma.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
i think maybe there are a few things to consider first when like will you be gaming on this tv do you watch much sport
someone please correct me if im wrong but i believe plasmas can get screen burn by gaming on them therefore if you game alot LCD would be the way to go IMO but i also believe that LCD tvs are no so good with sport because of the quick movement blur or some "jumping" in the picture may occur although the 100hz/200hz are making this less obvious i still believe plasmas are most certainly better for sports
so in the end i do think you need to way up the options and decide what suits you best but if you do go for plasma i agree with everyone else, panasonic :)
good luck
as mentioned your wrong on burn in;)

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
If you can find it, go DLP. The tech seems to be on its way out, but you can get big screens with really tightly-packed pixels for pretty cheap.

I love my Sammy DLP!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If you can find it, go DLP. The tech seems to be on its way out, but you can get big screens with really tightly-packed pixels for pretty cheap.

I love my Sammy DLP!
Ive owned the TOL DLP from mistu and in no way does the it compare to a plasma overall. The PQ was awesome from dead on outside of that average. The OP asked about LCD or Plasma. The new Pannys pound for pound are pretty much hard to beat with Pioneer out of the game. BTW does your sammy bow?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
"Bow?" What do you mean?
I believe the "bow" referred to here is the Rainbow effect which usally plagues most DLP's. Although I don't believe people notice or know what to look for, in most cases its not a huge issue( at least its not for me)?
Regards, Bill

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis