Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Simply put...LCD

As far as tech goes, plasma is OK, but I think LCD has the longer haul.

Esp with local dimming led backlighting.
Sorry -- I have to whole heartedly disagree altogether - I'll give Dale the benefit of the doubt, that most of the public can't appreciate the difference, but there is one, and here is the thread that proves the point.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57922

My new 37" Proscan LCD (info below) did not handle the trial run with Xbox 360 game Mass Effect very well. The Xbox dashboard and static images look absolutely gorgeous, but fast action looks slightly blurry. When I pan the camera quickly around the game character, it creates this weird double image effect where there is a ghost of the character's face where he just was. It is very easy to see this effect when I try to provoke it. I only see that particular double-image effect when I try to provoke it, but action scenes still feel blurry and just don't feel right. And I got a headache after playing for an hour, which doesn't normally happen.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Maybe I should have stated it more clearly. I believe LCD will have a longer haul because most people can not appreciate the advantage of plasma.
After reading my previous post again, I thought it could be taken differently.

Although, LCD has made significant progress, outside of a brighter picture (better in more brightly lit rooms) dollar for dollar, plasma will get you a better picture overall IMO.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe I should have stated it more clearly. I believe LCD will have a longer haul because most people can not appreciate the advantage of plasma.
After reading my previous post again, I thought it could be taken differently.

Although, LCD has made significant progress, outside of a brighter picture (better in more brightly lit rooms) dollar for dollar, plasma will get you a better picture overall IMO.
I know your position already Dale, and that is exactly the way I took it, LCD will most certainly have a nice long shelf position in stores, but in no way is it my opinion that LCD exceeds the performance of Plasma by any stretch of the means... :)

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
Hey guys. New to the site and if it wasn't for the info here I would have never discovered the truth about plasma.

I put together my first HT a little over a month ago. I had a small budget, but wanted a decent HT(upgrading from a 13 yr. old panasonic crt) so I bought a Yamaha YHT-391 HTIB(upgraded the center speaker to a Polk TSi CS10 for better dialogue), a Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray player, and a Vizio SV470 XVT 47" LCD.

I took all my new equipment home with thoughts of grandeur. I put it all together and fired it up and thought I had baddest HT on the block... It didn't last long.

I bought the Vizio due to all the hype about a great TV for the budget guy and the "don't buy a plasma. They burn up in a couple years" hype from my friends.

Well needless say, after a month of watching the Vizio I couldn't take it any more. The Vizio was just to bright, even with the back light turned down. The colors were over exaggerated, and the black level was lacking. I used the DVE disc for calibration with little PQ success(great disc, bad TV)

I took it back to Costco and came home with a Panasonic tc-p50s14. All I can say is WOW:eek::D I can't imagine what the G10 or even the S1 looks like because the S14 is leaps and bounds better than the Vizio.

I haven't calibrated the Panasonic yet, but I have the picture set to "standard", the color temp set to "warm", and black level set to "dark".

My wife and I were watching Planet Earth on Blu-ray last night and the colors on this set are very warm and realistic and the black levels are unbelievably pure(for lack of a better term).

I'm lovin' me some plasma.:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Hey guys. New to the site and if it wasn't for the info here I would have never discovered the truth about plasma.

I put together my first HT a little over a month ago. I had a small budget, but wanted a decent HT(upgrading from a 13 yr. old panasonic crt) so I bought a Yamaha YHT-391 HTIB(upgraded the center speaker to a Polk TSi CS10 for better dialogue), a Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray player, and a Vizio SV470 XVT 47" LCD.

I took all my new equipment home with thoughts of grandeur. I put it all together and fired it up and thought I had baddest HT on the block... It didn't last long.

I bought the Vizio due to all the hype about a great TV for the budget guy and the "don't buy a plasma. They burn up in a couple years" hype from my friends.

Well needless say, after a month of watching the Vizio I couldn't take it any more. The Vizio was just to bright, even with the back light turned down. The colors were over exaggerated, and the black level was lacking. I used the DVE disc for calibration with little PQ success(great disc, bad TV)

I took it back to Costco and came home with a Panasonic tc-p50s14. All I can say is WOW:eek::D I can't imagine what the G10 or even the S1 looks like because the S14 is leaps and bounds better than the Vizio.

I haven't calibrated the Panasonic yet, but I have the picture set to "standard", the color temp set to "warm", and black level set to "dark".

My wife and I were watching Planet Earth on Blu-ray last night and the colors on this set are very warm and realistic and the black levels are unbelievably pure(for lack of a better term).

I'm lovin' me some plasma.:D
That's a great move. I'd run a break in disc or use the display for about 100 hours the calibrate. Enjoy better pq thru plasma. :)

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
I would like to run the break in disc, but my wife and daughter have been enjoying the TV so much I don't think they would let me run that thing for 100 hrs.:) I did set the aspect to "just" so there are no black bars on the side while watching SD channels and I have chomping at the bit to hit the 100 hr mark so I can calibrate it.
I went to Best buy yesterday to pick up an HDMI cable(no not Monster;) ) and they had a calibration display set up with a couple TC-P50S1 displays and the before and after calibration was amazing.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Just a note. Check out monoprice.com. Place an order for extras, its worth it. I buy in bulk and love their CS.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
Thanks bandphan. I'll check it out. I bought a wall mount for it(newegg.com 59.99 shipped) and planned on mounting it this weekend so I needed a longer HDMI and optical cable. Ended up having to pay retail since I need it this weekend, but I'll look at monoprice for future cable needs for sure.:cool:

BTW. If anyone is interested in the TC-P50S14 Costco has them on sale for $999.99.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Or simply chooses to ignore it & follow the crowd. :confused:
Nothing wrong with having different preferences. It is arriving at a decision after exploring other possibilities that makes a choice creditable.
One could follow a different crowd and get a plasma, just because a bunch of forum posters say it's the thing to do. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis