Check out my sweet new Cylinder subwoofers!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
They only play 1 note each, and they are a manual style where you have to whack it, but damn are they loud!

Kidding aside, these don't actually belong to me. My friend who owns them, lives in a very Asian household, where no drums are allowed. I happen to have a room with my guitar amp in it, and nothing else, so I offered to store them. We plan on having regular jam session with my other friends who play guitar and bass. Starting a band? Not likely. I am however going to pick up a book on how to play the drums, and learn myself.

SheepStar

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Sweet deal, you basically have a set of drums for nothing.

I have the exact same situation with one of my friends while his house is renovated. It's an electronic kit so it saves on room at my place, and it's great learning to play them. Still working on getting my legs and arms to work independantly of each other, but I manage some cool rythems from time to time.

And it's very convenient to jam!

Good luck with learning them.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Put a hole in that kick drum:D those are sweet. You might as well learn to play them Sheep, they are in your house and drummers get All the chicks ???Right:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Put a hole in that kick drum:D those are sweet. You might as well learn to play them Sheep, they are in your house and drummers get All the chicks ???Right:D
Well, thrashing on a Guitar turned to 11 will gather the beeches too. I need a book to tell me how to get started. I can whack away and stomp the kick, but it sounds like a trainwreck, I'd rather throw down on the gitter simply because I'm actually doing something.

On the topic of the kick drum, the guy he bought them off said to get a new thicker skin for the kick, and a ported one. The kick is loud (and huge) but the skin is really flimsy and thin. Who knows, he is still rusty, and I'm suck.

SheepStar

J

jamie2112

Banned
Practice makes perfect Sheep. I learned to play drums"or rather keep a beat for a few minutes at a time that is":eek:by watching other people play drums.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Practice makes perfect Sheep. I learned to play drums"or rather keep a beat for a few minutes at a time that is":eek:by watching other people play drums.
I know how to keep beat (played saxophone for years, then guitar) it's the separating the hands and feet part that is getting me. I'm like this with guitar. Unless I'm extremely comfortable playing what I'm playing, I can't talk.

SheepStar

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Awesome deal you got there Sheep. I'm a drummer myself, currently sporting a 5 piece Ludwig set and a collection of various stands, auxiliary stuff from over the years built into it.

I learned to play drums on a beat up old set that I bought from a kid down my street when I was 15 years old. The thing had one small (20") kick drum, a snare, one tom, and a rickity cymbal mounted on a pole. Being creative, I actually "created" a "hi-hat" of sorts simply by mounting a round cookie sheet on top of a salad bowl and loosely taping a bunch of pennies to the top. If you hit it, it kind of sounded like a hi-hat, but it was enough to get me by as I learned and taught myself. Talk about starting from scratch and dirt...

If you have any sense of rhythm, drums will come naturally to you - it's all about teaching your mind/muscle system the proper coordination. I learned this by playing along to everything I could put into the stereo, with the speakers blasting near my head as I sat at the kit. Probably not good for the hearing, but hell - I was in my teens back then, it wasn't yet a worry of mine.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It must be nice having someone just give you a set of drums temporarily.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It must be nice having someone just give you a set of drums temporarily.
You'd think so, but I really suck, so I don't really play on them. I can't get a book until Monday, so I can't start learning yet.

SheepStar

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You'd think so, but I really suck, so I don't really play on them. I can't get a book until Monday, so I can't start learning yet.

SheepStar
Isn't that what the internet is for. There are lots of websites that offer free online beginner drum lessons to hold you over till monday.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I suck at the drums, could never get the knack for it. Makes me really appreciate the great ones in this field. The only song I could play was the beginning part of Naveed by Our Lady Peace:).

R

rtcp

Junior Audioholic
With your background in saxophone, can you read music? You could try following some tab of a song you like.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like everybody here is happy for you, myself included. That would all be different if we were within ear shot of you as a budding drummer.

Something tells me that you're going to find perverse joy in the suffering of those around you. :) And it's all in the name of bettering one self. :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Where's the beard?

SheepStar
All over your body...:eek:

Hey Sheep,

Sweet deal!:cool:

Like any instrument learn to tune it first. Everything sounds like butt on an untuned instrument. (but you already know that I'm sure):)

I'm the opposite of you. I play drums and struggle mightily at guitar...

Have fun and wear ear protection. (as a test set up an SPL meter while playing to see how loud those manual mono-note subs really are...in room:D)

SBF1

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
With your background in saxophone, can you read music? You could try following some tab of a song you like.
Used to, been to long now. I just tab for guitar.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Seems like everybody here is happy for you, myself included. That would all be different if we were within ear shot of you as a budding drummer.

Something tells me that you're going to find perverse joy in the suffering of those around you. :) And it's all in the name of bettering one self. :D
I'm just holding off until I get a book. I'm completely lost.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis