Tool's New Album, Finally!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Clip from a new music video!

Very smooth stop motion blended with cgi for one of their best looking music videos, and Adam out-does himself for the creepy factor.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
Got mine today. Why 5 discs? Side 2's are all Etchings. This is sweet! This is a very tactile experience. Not for digital only people. It is for those that admire what they have and enjoy listening. I'm sure there are collectors too. The artwork inside the cover is similar to the CD Booklet. Some pages full of holes and stars I imagine if you shined a light in a dark room through it you might get some interesting patterns but I'm not sure of the purpose. Star chart? Perhaps they will make a gold plated version and send it to outer space. Will wait for a day when my family is out of the house to spin because I will not be able to resist cranking it louder and louder.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Got mine today. Why 5 discs? Side 2's are all Etchings. This is sweet! This is a very tactile experience. Not for digital only people. It is for those that admire what they have and enjoy listening. I'm sure there are collectors too. The artwork inside the cover is similar to the CD Booklet. Some pages full of holes and stars I imagine if you shined a light in a dark room through it you might get some interesting patterns but I'm not sure of the purpose. Star chart? Perhaps they will make a gold plated version and send it to outer space. Will wait for a day when my family is out of the house to spin because I will not be able to resist cranking it louder and louder.
Yeah, got mine too. Pretty neat release. Haven't messed with vinyl in a long time so this is an interesting purchase for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Such a cool package but so expensive! I love Tool, but north of 3 *digits for some LPs is a big ask.

*Edited

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Such a cool package but so expensive! I love Tool, but north of 3 bills for some LPs is a big ask.
Mine was less than $200?

It really is an awesome edition though. I never buy these things either.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Curious if anyone was able to compare the new vinyl to the HD Audio 24/96 version in terms of overall mix and clipping. I almost blacked out and ordered the excessive vinyl set only to come to my senses and realize the HD Flac is probably excellent enough.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious if anyone was able to compare the new vinyl to the HD Audio 24/96 version in terms of overall mix and clipping. I almost blacked out and ordered the excessive vinyl set only to come to my senses and realize the HD Flac is probably excellent enough.
I've heard some complaints about some clipping in the recording for the album. Is that what you're referring to? Fortunately for me it seems to be at high enough frequencies that I don't hear it, but I've seen a couple of complaints. I ran into one guy that it near ruins the whole album for him... :oops:

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I've heard some complaints about some clipping in the recording for the album. Is that what you're referring to? Fortunately for me it seems to be at high enough frequencies that I don't hear it, but I've seen a couple of complaints. I ran into one guy that it near ruins the whole album for him... :oops:
I believe that is what I mean. When people online describe it I think it has something to do with the drums. I know drums and symbols must be mastered differently for vinyl due to its limitations and that perhaps the complaints regarding the regular recording will be mastered away because loudness is no longer a factor.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe that is what I mean. When people online describe it I think it has something to do with the drums. I know drums and symbols must be mastered differently for vinyl due to its limitations and that perhaps the complaints regarding the regular recording will be mastered away because loudness is no longer a factor.
Yeah, I figured thats what you meant. That is an interesting question. I wonder of it's there on the vinyl now too, lol. Well, just curious. Like I said I don't hear it at all, but totally sympathize with those that do. I love the album. Hearing clipping in it would really suck.

Is that something that can be fixed if remastered? Or is once it's there, it's there and nothing can be done about it?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I figured thats what you meant. That is an interesting question. I wonder of it's there on the vinyl now too, lol. Well, just curious. Like I said I don't hear it at all, but totally sympathize with those that do. I love the album. Hearing clipping in it would really suck.

Is that something that can be fixed if remastered? Or is once it's there, it's there and nothing can be done about it?
As far as I know, clipping and sometimes actual distortion occurs when the digital master is at or slightly over the maximum record levels. Metallica's Death Magnetic CD is the perfect example of how to ruin a recording by artificially making it louder than the bits were meant to handle. The mixing board must have been in the red if you were to see them on a graph.

The latest Red Hot Chili Pepper's album was recorded, mastered and pressed to vinyl entirely in analog which eliminates any possibility of clipping and distortion like when digital is pushed to its limits. I ordered that just to hear what a pure analog record sounds like since 99% all records at least for the past 20 years or more have been mastered and pressed from a digital source. Mostly 44.1/16. Nothing special. It may take months before I can actually spin it though. :(

I'm doing some research on all this right now for a video i'm putting together in the future. What i've discovered is most vinyl pressing plants will accept any 24bit/96kHz ALAC or AIFF format as their source and press the vinyl from that. We can only hope it's that good as some will accept a basic 44.1/16 version and consumers never know.

Most independent or new bands may not actually have more than one master to work from. Typically, when recording and mixing, there are a few versions that end up as "masters". Particularly, one for the blown out, oversaturated LOUD master that goes straight to the CD, a completely different mix meant for vinyl and the "audiophile" master meant for the streaming services which is lower in DB's due to the bandwidth limitations of streaming.

When pressing LP's you can't have the extreme dynamic range in the upper sibilance as it damages the recording equipment so it must be tamed down. You must also balance the bass and low frequencies as centered as possible since an extreme amount of drums or bass in the left or right will cause many turntables to skip or jump grooves. These things have no bearing when dealing in digital.

So when I wonder if Tool's new epicly expensive vinyl box set is as good or better than the digital HD, it would have to be because I hope they remastered it for vinyl. Since Tool years are different than everyone else on Earth, it likely took them longer to remaster for vinyl before getting it released. On top of the extreme lack of pressing plants willing to waste resources on so many single sided discs.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I liked the Vinyl sound better. It sounded perfect. No clipping but I didn't play it as loud as family was home. Played all 5 in a row though, and heard imagery that I didn't catch before on disk. I always play the whole side of vinyl and don't chance lifting the needle. So side by side of what's better, I've now learned is just a thought and I have no way to measure it except by enjoyment. No time to play it back, study and analyze although I would enjoy it, just no time in my life for that. The clarity and sound of the vinyl and tamber and after-effect of certain drum hits seems more spot on with the vinyl. But when I'm listening to vinyl, I'm not working, not moving, not doing anything but sitting in a darkened room with some good wine or some unique beer, letting the sound dictate my every thought. So I am bias and vinyl will always win for those reasons. I am Leary about hearsay reviews that implant a negative thought. Especially when I didn't notice it myself. I will not let that ruin my enjoyment of this.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Why make a thread? Because they're my favorite band of all time and it's been 13 years since they've released an album! Fans of this band know, the struggle is real. We've been clamoring and waiting for a new cd for over a decade, and now, finally, they're releasing their new cd on August 30th.

Tool are truly a talented and groundbreaking band. Their style is very heavy at times while also staying melodic. They're not your typical head bangers by a longshot. They like to play with unusual time signatures and intricate patterns, based a lot around their drummer, Danny Carey. Widely considered one of the most influential drummers of our era, his complicated drumming patterns and unusual time signatures underscore the heavy bass, growling guitar and Maynard's sometimes feral but controlled vocals with power, subtlety and dexterity. Any drummer should check him out. When I attempt to describe their sound I might say, think of a heavier version of Pink Floyd, maybe a little Zeppelin (they actually do a pretty good cover of "No Quarter", below)? They're not really either of those, but I hear their influence.

But there's more...

Maynard James Keenan’s [Tool's frontman] store is holding a new Tool album listening party a day before the official release date of the band’s new album. The party will take place on Thursday, August 29th from 4 to 6PM at 140 Main Street in Jerome, Arizona. It is advertised as a free event, “First come – first served. Listen to the new album and reserve your CD for the 8/30 release. We will open an hour early (10AM) for those who reserved a copy of the album.”"

Clicky

I live a couple of hours from Jerome! Eeek! I have enough time to plan this! I think I'm gonna go! I don't get out much any more, but I'm pretty stoked about this! I think I'm gonna go meet Maynard and listen to the new album a day early! That's so cool, I'm so stoked, lol. Haven't told my wife about it yet, but I know she'll go for it. Aside from a few bucks in gas, it's also free!

I have plenty of time to compose myself so I don't fanboy out on him too. I'll keep cool. He's been known to get annoyed with overzealous fans.
Bro I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tool and if I was close enough to go to that?........

I swear on everything that is good in this wacky universe we live in if you don't show up to that event?

I'm driving down to your place and inspecting your RBH SV1212NR's ports personally!

....... if that doesn't motivate you to do the right thing nothing will! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bro I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tool and if I was close enough to go to that?........

I swear on everything that is good in this wacky universe we live in if you don't show up to that event?

I'm driving down to your place and inspecting your RBH SV1212NR's ports personally!

....... if that doesn't motivate you to do the right thing nothing will! :D
Okay this is embarrassing :oops: I didn't see the date on the thread. Ummmm now I have to dig through 16 pages to see if you actually went or not! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis