What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Time for an upgrade in the cutting dept, out with the cheaper, poorly-balanced J.A. Henckels and in with Zwilling Pro series.

I bought the cheaper 7pc set because my cousin had gifted me a Wüsthoff 7" Santuko knife that is super close to the Zwilling Pro in material choice and styling, but I can't get the discounts with Wüsthoff that I can buying Zwilling/J.A.Henckels though Macy's.

They drop shipped direct from Zwilling and they screwed up. I got two sets, billed for one. Now my son has a set. I already ordered the two pieces and 6 matching steak knives to make it a 16pc set. :D

1000005133.jpg

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Time for an upgrade in the cutting dept, out with the cheaper, poorly-balanced J.A. Henckels and in with Zwilling Pro series.

I bought the cheaper 7pc set because my cousin had gifted me a Wüsthoff 7" Santuko knife that is super close to the Zwilling Pro in material choice and styling, but I can't get the discounts with Wüsthoff that I can buying Zwilling/J.A.Henckels though Macy's.

They drop shipped direct from Zwilling and they screwed up. I got two sets, billed for one. Now my son has a set. I already ordered the two pieces and 6 matching steak knives to make it a 16pc set. :D

View attachment 64742View attachment 64742
That looks almost exactly like the Henckel set we got for our wedding (2003).

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Last night was a horrible night sleep. I didn't sleep much but my mind did wander a bit to my childhood when I watched all the movies on the local UHF channels.

They were always showing the Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis movie Some Like it Hot. I really didn't like that movie a whole lot. But I remembered Assault on a Queen and got that today on Amazon.

Frank Sinatra and gang find an old German U-Boat and try to pirate the Queen Mary.

818+G6UXAWL._SY500_.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That looks almost exactly like the Henckel set we got for our wedding (2003).
They're both under the Zwilling name, selling the two different brands. In general, the Zwilling line is a bit up-level from J.A. Henckels, and it is that which we are upgrading from.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
WiiM Amp has arrived. Roon Firmware unfortunately is not out yet. So Chromecast for now. Amazing all the nice cables they include as well. It drives the KEF's effortlessly. A real steal at $299
1000018555.jpg

1000018556.jpg

1000018557.jpg

1000018558.jpg

1000018559.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That is a very nicely featured amp for the price! Let alone the streaming capability.....

ps I saw an ebay ad for $450!
Yeah. I think I got mine a couple of days before they sold out. Now I think mid Jan at least. So far it is a bunch of fun and works as advertised.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. I think I got mine a couple of days before they sold out. Now I think mid Jan at least. So far it is a bunch of fun and works as advertised.
Just noticing some comments about noises emanating from the transformer on asr.....any issue like that for you?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Looks great and a great deal. Positive reviews on You Tube. Let us know how it sounds when you put it to the test with your system. Not surprised selling for more on eBay. I see some people bidding more for used stuff sometimes than a new one is selling for on Amazon. Crazy.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
✌Last week ran into a guy who goes to a couple of thrift stores for vinyl records and he told me that a thrift store I used go to had a lot of great records once again, so I went by yesterday and found some great (6) records, 2 CDs, (2) 3D blurays, Resident Evil Bluray Steel book, Coppola restoration Godfather 1-3 Blu-ray and one 4K Blu-ray. All for under $5!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
IMG_20231228_123059.jpg

I usually get myself a xmas present, but this year I didn't see anything I needed, but very happy to find these as Xmas gift to self.
IMG_20231228_122906.jpg

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I've gone a bit crazy the last little while. It wasn't planned, but things just kind of ended up stacking up...

In order of wallet melting progression:

1) After years of humming and hawing over upgrading the bookshelf speakers in my bedroom/office system (Paradigm Mini Monitors v6), I gave in and ordered myself a pair of Sonus Faber Lumina II Amator editions. Always wanted to try the brand and the front porting on these makes sense with the corner placement I have to use. Curious to see if I like the voicing on these or not.

2) My pre-order of the Unfolded Circle Remote Two came up. I reserved one about 2 years ago when URC decided that home users could no longer access their programming software and it looked like I was going to need some alternative going forward. URC has since loosened it's policy and I can program again, but went forward on the Remote Two anyways since I may need another at some point in the mid-term future anyways.

3) The speakers in the bedroom/office system are kind of obstructed by monitors, audio rack, etc due to being a bit crammed in there. The stands were 30" models. I ordered myself a set of Sanus 36" stands as well as set of 7" angled stands. By lashing the two together, I've raised the bookshelves speakers enough (about 42" now) that the tweeters clear clutter and angle down to ear level pretty nicely.

4) The hand-me-down AVM 50 I use in the bedroom system has a 20 year old DAC in it, so the generally glowing praise for the Topping D70 Pro Sabre, I decided to give it a shot.

5) I've been thinking about replacing the AVM 50v in my liviing room with something that can handle 4k/120 video switching and simplefy control a bit. I had been thinking about a Marantx Cinema 70 but the measurements in review here were not very enticing. Anthem had a seasonal sale on and a semi-local shop was willing to knock a bit more on top of it, so I picked up an MRX 540 8k to use as a pre-processor in that system. It's a step down in gear "level", but it's 15+ years newer in the DAC and has similar specs overall in other areas so I went for it. it appears to be a much better solution than the Marantz and ended up being around the same price at the time.

6) A new REL s/510 for the living room system to replace an aging Entery 12" ported sub that really wasn't pulling much weight in the system anymore (the mains are measuring as extending lower currently).

7) A pair of new club/sofa chairs for the theatre room to replace some of the older one who's finish has been failing and peeling off the last few years. The price of furniture these days is painful :( but they should be nice - even if I couldn't affort full leather and had to do a leather match instead.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I've gone a bit crazy the last little while. It wasn't planned, but things just kind of ended up stacking up...

In order of wallet melting progression:

1) After years of humming and hawing over upgrading the bookshelf speakers in my bedroom/office system (Paradigm Mini Monitors v6), I gave in and ordered myself a pair of Sonus Faber Lumina II Amator editions. Always wanted to try the brand and the front porting on these makes sense with the corner placement I have to use. Curious to see if I like the voicing on these or not.

2) My pre-order of the Unfolded Circle Remote Two came up. I reserved one about 2 years ago when URC decided that home users could no longer access their programming software and it looked like I was going to need some alternative going forward. URC has since loosened it's policy and I can program again, but went forward on the Remote Two anyways since I may need another at some point in the mid-term future anyways.

3) The speakers in the bedroom/office system are kind of obstructed by monitors, audio rack, etc due to being a bit crammed in there. The stands were 30" models. I ordered myself a set of Sanus 36" stands as well as set of 7" angled stands. By lashing the two together, I've raised the bookshelves speakers enough (about 42" now) that the tweeters clear clutter and angle down to ear level pretty nicely.

4) The hand-me-down AVM 50 I use in the bedroom system has a 20 year old DAC in it, so the generally glowing praise for the Topping D70 Pro Sabre, I decided to give it a shot.

5) I've been thinking about replacing the AVM 50v in my liviing room with something that can handle 4k/120 video switching and simplefy control a bit. I had been thinking about a Marantx Cinema 70 but the measurements in review here were not very enticing. Anthem had a seasonal sale on and a semi-local shop was willing to knock a bit more on top of it, so I picked up an MRX 540 8k to use as a pre-processor in that system. It's a step down in gear "level", but it's 15+ years newer in the DAC and has similar specs overall in other areas so I went for it. it appears to be a much better solution than the Marantz and ended up being around the same price at the time.

6) A new REL s/510 for the living room system to replace an aging Entery 12" ported sub that really wasn't pulling much weight in the system anymore (the mains are measuring as extending lower currently).

7) A pair of new club/sofa chairs for the theatre room to replace some of the older one who's finish has been failing and peeling off the last few years. The price of furniture these days is painful :( but they should be nice - even if I couldn't affort full leather and had to do a leather match instead.
Wow that cost you some $$. But tis the season. :)

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Wow that cost you some $$. But tis the season. :)
It has, but it was kind of unplanned accumulation with some of it being just taking advantage of seasonal pricing on things that were on the "wanted at some point" list.

Believe it or not, the pair of chairs are actually the single most expensive purchase in the list.

The REL is certainly a splurge. I know it's not a value buy but I've been enjoying a smaller REL's sound in another system and wanted to give a larger one a shot in the living room. I wasn't sure a T/9x would do the job in a room that size and going a bit lower would be nice for the movie content that gets played along with the music focus. The s/510 is mildly on sale currently and scheduled for a price hike next year so I decided if I was going to splurge on the higher model, this would be the time.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I still love buying CDs especially box sets. I’ve been buying the Jethro Tull boxes both new and used online. Just preordered the 50th anniversary Band on the Run 2 CD set and the 8 CD live Dire Straits set that are coming out early next year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis